Stanzi

How about this, I'd say it's about 1000x more likely that Ricky sucks it up early and gets replaced by Vandenberg next year than it is that he has an NFL career like Tom Brady, Kurt Warner or Joe Montana.

How about this, I'd say it's about 1000x more likely that Ricky sucks it up early and gets replaced by Vandenberg next year than it is that he has an NFL career like Tom Brady, Kurt Warner or Joe Montana.

Again, no one is saying that he's going to have a HOF career. But there are people (like Ghost) who don't think he's even a candidate to make it in the NFL, much less be drafted. That's just ignorant. If guys can have a HOF career with similar physical tools (however rare it is), then it's at least a decent chance that he can make it as an NFL QB. Chad Pennington had similar skills as far as arm strength and accuracy, and he wasn't that bad. Not HOF, but not bad.

Again, no one is saying that he's going to have a HOF career. But there are people (like Ghost) who don't think he's even a candidate to make it in the NFL, much less be drafted. That's just ignorant. If guys can have a HOF career with similar physical tools (however rare it is), then it's at least a decent chance that he can make it as an NFL QB. Chad Pennington had similar skills as far as arm strength and accuracy, and he wasn't that bad. Not HOF, but not bad.

You're calling me ignorant? Seriously? And then you go on to say that Pennington and Stanzi have similar accuracy?

Pennington has the best completion percentage in NFL history. Pennington and Stanzi's games have seriously nothing in common.

I will no longer waste time discussing this with you, since you clearly have no freaking idea what you're talking about.

You're calling me ignorant? Seriously? And then you go on to say that Pennington and Stanzi have similar accuracy?

Pennington has the best completion percentage in NFL history. Pennington and Stanzi's games have seriously nothing in common.

I will no longer waste time discussing this with you, since you clearly have no freaking idea what you're talking about.

Stanzi's problem is not a lack of accuracy. He has a tendency to force throws and misread defenses. But he doesn't miss his mark very often. He's not out there bouncing balls off the turf, or overthrowing guys by a mile. He's forced balls into the wind, occassionally into coverage. But he doesn't just make a bad throw into a defender's lap.

Yes, McCoy is a good example. Guess what? He was a Heisman candidate and if he would have looked reasonably decent against Nebby, he would have won. Do you realize you just made my point for me? By your logic Iowa just needs to keep 13 more drives going throughout the entire 2010 season, just over one a game, and Stanzi just has to throw 3 less picks to be a candidate.

The point I was trying to make, which I guess I didn't hit on well, is that the only reason McCoy was a Heisman finalist is because of his name.

There were QBs who put up bigger numbers such as Tony Pike (29/6 on a BCS team) or Jimmy Clausen (3,700 yds!/28/4), but because they were not named Colt McCoy, they didn't have a chance.

There is a possibility that Stanzi will invent a cream cheese which is low in calories yet still tastes delicious. That is not a reason to discuss it.

The arm strength is THAT big of an issue. Pennington had a weak arm, but could read a defense in his sleep. Ricky does not have that talent. 99% of QBs can't read a d like Pennington, which is why he was . Like I said before, Ricky's trouble in reading a defense only exascerbates his arm strength issues.

There's a difference from there being a possibility he'll be the first to do it (which would go with your cream cheese example. it's never been done before), and the possibility that he can make it in the NFL when others with less than Superman arms have already done it. He's got a decent shot to get drafted just because odds are there is a team out there that will gamble on a winner who doesn't have elite arm strength. Tebow was taken in the first round (to be a QB, no less), and he's got a laundry list of things in his game going against him.

The point I was trying to make, which I guess I didn't hit on well, is that the only reason McCoy was a Heisman finalist is because of his name.

There were QBs who put up bigger numbers such as Tony Pike (29/6 on a BCS team) or Jimmy Clausen (3,700 yds!/28/4), but because they were not named Colt McCoy, they didn't have a chance.

You neglect to mention that Notre Dame was not very good this year. Clausen has hardly spent his career in the shadows. But players from 6-6 teams NEVER get a chance for the Heisman. It had nothing to do with name power in that case. Notre Dame just sucked.

People also took into account the fact that McCoy was playing with a supporting cast that was nothing special. No running game, and no Quan Cosby to complement Shipley. That offense was 100% (exaggerated, but you get the idea) Colt McCoy/Jordan Shipley. And Texas was undefeated. If Texas had had a 6-6 season, and McCoy had still put up those numbers, he wouldn't have been invited to NYC either.

Let just say that the Hawks put together a very good year and win another BCS bowl game, Stanzi cuts down on his turnovers and is in Heisman contention at the end of the year and possibly wins it. What does everyone think his draft stock will be?

Let's just say I was 28 years younger and had actual baseball talent and led the Big Ten in home runs and OPS by the end of the year and was drafted by the Mariners and made the team after a year in AAA and we won our division.

How far does everyone think we'd make it in the playoffs?

People would have said the same thing about Brad Banks even into the season. I am telling you, if Iowa puts together the season some people expect, Rick will be a huge part and the most notable offensive player. He will be in the talk.

I don't understand why some of you think Rick lacks arm strength. He sometimes plays with faulty mechanics and played through a shoulder injury on his non throwing shoulder that would have affected his velocity on his throws. If you watch the Wisconsin Highlight package on the BHGP Spievey write up you will see several incredible out throws which highlight arm strength. He probably was only showing 85- 90 of what he has last season. He is a sure thing, Mallet and Locker deserve to rank ahead of him right now, and I really can't think of anyone else I would put ahead of him physically.

I found this today: This site had him listed number 8 at QB

Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
Height: 6-4. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.84.
Projected Round (2011): 2-3.
3/29/10: Ricky Stanzi is a strong-armed pro-style quarterback, but makes questionable throws at times. In 2009, he had 2,417 yards and 17 touchdowns, but also tossed 15 picks on a 56.3 completion percentage. His YPA was 8.0.

8/5/09: A pro-style quarterback with great size, Ricky Stanzi posted 1,956 yards, 14 touchdowns and nine picks as a sophomore. His YPA (7.7) and completion percentage (59.1) were mediocre, but not terrible considering his inexperience.

But, hey you know better than any scouting source I am sure.

where was jevan snead drafted? you know, the guy most people had on their heisman watch list going into 2009 and a for sure solid draft pick. where was he drafted again? oh he wasn't?

lets face it...none of us KNOW what will happen with ricky. does he have a lot to work on? absolutely. does he have a lot of tools scouts look for? absolutely.

at this point, who cares what he does in the NFL. i'm focused on glendale or pasadena

at this point, who cares what he does in the NFL. i'm focused on glendale or pasadena

I agree. On a side note, as one that lived the majority of my life in Southern California, it is weird to hear Glendale and Pasadena in the same sentence and know that people are talking about two different states.

Glendale and Pasadena are contiguous cities just East of downtown LA.

Both of them have considerably stronger arms than Stanzi. Not to mention they're two of the most accurate passers in the history of the NFL, read defenses better and don't telegraph their throws.

Does Stanzi have at least some shot at making it in the NFL? Sure. I admitted as much by saying that he could be a 4th round pick next year earlier in this thread. But the comparisons to Brady, Warner and Montana just need to stop.

You think when I said that Warner, Brady, (oh and by the way let me also throw in a guy named Drew Brees) didn't have great arms that I was saying that Stanzi is going to be as good as those guys? Could I possibly just be saying that those guys making it proves that you don't have to have a rocket arm to make it in the NFL?

Could it be possible I wrote a nuanced response to this topic and didn't actually literally mean that he was going to be as good as those guys?

I DIDN'T SAY HE WAS GOING TO BE AS GOOD AS THOSE GUYS JUST THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A ROCKET ARM TO MAKE IT INTO THE NFL!

Oh, and by the way, those guys don't have "considerably stronger arms than those guys". Do you even watch football?

You think when I said that Warner, Brady, (oh and by the way let me also throw in a guy named Drew Brees) didn't have great arms that I was saying that Stanzi is going to be as good as those guys? Could I possibly just be saying that those guys making it proves that you don't have to have a rocket arm to make it in the NFL?

Could it be possible I wrote a nuanced response to this topic and didn't actually literally mean that he was going to be as good as those guys?

I DIDN'T SAY HE WAS GOING TO BE AS GOOD AS THOSE GUYS JUST THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A ROCKET ARM TO MAKE IT INTO THE NFL!

Oh, and by the way, those guys don't have "considerably stronger arms than those guys". Do you even watch football?
Please don't talk down to me and resort to using caps lock. I watch a ton of football. Maybe Stanzi has as strong of an arm as Warner. MAYBE. Tough to tell since Warner is throwing against NFL DBs and into smaller windows. Not to mention that he's now freaking 38 years old. His arm was stronger when he was younger. Brady's arm is considerably stronger. There is no doubt about this. He can throw it 70+ on the fly in the game.

On those notes, I'm done talking about this. I like Stanzi as a QB and am tired of having to break down his game in this thread. I hope he's extremely successful this year and leads the Hawks to an undefeated season and National Championship. The comparisons people made in here are completely maddening though (Warner, Brady, Montana and now Brees fellas?). I just couldn't let them go.

Please don't talk down to me and resort to using caps lock. I watch a ton of football. Maybe Stanzi has as strong of an arm as Warner. MAYBE. Tough to tell since Warner is throwing against NFL DBs and into smaller windows. Not to mention that he's now freaking 38 years old. His arm was stronger when he was younger. Brady's arm is considerably stronger. There is no doubt about this. He can throw it 70+ on the fly in the game.

On those notes, I'm done talking about this. I like Stanzi as a QB and am tired of having to break down his game in this thread. I hope he's extremely successful this year and leads the Hawks to an undefeated season and National Championship. The comparisons people made in here are completely maddening though (Warner, Brady, Montana and now Brees fellas?). I just couldn't let them go.

Your last two sentences lead me to believe you just don't get my posts.

As far as not having as strong of arm as Brady, I guess it depends on what your definition of "considerably" is. Favre, J. Russell, Cutler, and Flacco have considerably better arms than Stanzi. Brady (while probably having a little stronger arm than Stanzi) does not.

I'm also done with this topic. It's just like beating my head against a wall.

Even though you say you're done debating, I'll throw this out there anyway. Yes Warner's arm was stronger 10 years ago. But did he stop being a good QB? He was one of the best in the NFL (still) when he was in Arizona. So a guy can be very successful in the NFL without having a rocket arm.

Latest posts