Stanzi

Because those two are HOF QBs.

But they weren't even close to HOF QB's when they were at the same stage in their careers as Stanzi is now. Brady, as a senior at Michigan, was an unimpressive QB, and Warner was just a one-year starter. Nobody thought they were going to ammount to anything past college.

Um, who is in the realm of backwards logic? You seem to think that defenses won't catch up, or haven't started to catch up to the spread offense. New offenses outpace defenses at first. Then the defenses catch up. Why doesn't the West Coast offense just march the ball down the field anymore? Where is the Run and Shoot?

Could the Bradford and Tebow numbers be inflated? How come the numbers seemed to drop a bit this year? How could a running back possibly win the Heisman when just the year before last, when Shonn was running wild, people on here were saying the age of RB's winning the Heisman were done?

Could their numbers be inflated? Maybe. You operate under the assumption they are, which is presumptious, especially since the more reasonable explaination for the decrease in their numbers is the fact Tebow and Bradford missed time with serious injury, rather than defenses figuring them out.

Colt McCoy is a better metric to use here, as his numbers decreased last year as well, and he was a Heisman canidate in the same era as Tebow and Bradford.

However, if we use McCoy, your premise is still false, since McCoy had much better numbers than Stanzi (30/12, 3,500 yds), finished on a 13-1 team, had the benefit of national hype and exposure, and still only finished third for the award.

If anything, Greg McElroy would be a better canidate than Stanzi. While he played in more games than Stanzi, he had an approximate amount of attempts. They are close on yardage, and both have 17tds. McElroy had 4 ints, however. Plus, he plays on a team that won the title, and has a shot to repeat.

I bet if someone came around here saying McElroy for Heisman, they would be laughed off. However, I like his chances more than Stanzi's.

If Mike Kafka is a 4th round pick, then Ricky Stanzi has a chance to get drafted.
Kafka was decent,but not out of this world better than Stanzi.

Could their numbers be inflated? Maybe. You operate under the assumption they are, which is presumptious, especially since the more reasonable explaination for the decrease in their numbers is the fact Tebow and Bradford missed time with serious injury, rather than defenses figuring them out.

Colt McCoy is a better metric to use here, as his numbers decreased last year as well, and he was a Heisman canidate in the same era as Tebow and Bradford.

However, if we use McCoy, your premise is still false, since McCoy had much better numbers than Stanzi (30/12, 3,500 yds), finished on a 13-1 team, had the benefit of national hype and exposure, and still only finished third for the award.

If anything, Greg McElroy would be a better canidate than Stanzi. While he played in more games than Stanzi, he had an approximate amount of attempts. They are close on yardage, and both have 17tds. McElroy had 4 ints, however. Plus, he plays on a team that won the title, and has a shot to repeat.

I bet if someone came around here saying McElroy for Heisman, they would be laughed off. However, I like his chances more than Stanzi's.

Bradford's numbers especially were inflated in 2008. He only legitimately had 40 TD passes the year he won the Heisman, not 50. He threw 10 TD passes in the second half of games that were clearly decided at halftime, or were over before he threw them, anyway. OU ran up the score more than anyone I've ever seen in 2008, and Bradford was a big part of it.

We are talking about a current senior in college, and they are being compared to two QB's when they were seniors in college. That is all, pretty easy concepts.

I think the issue here is not that you are comparing three people in the same point in their respective careers, but you are comparing Stanzi to the two biggest outliers in NFL quarterback prospecting history.

You could compare Stanzi to Warner and Brady, or you could compare him to the other 1000 quarterbacks like him who didn't amount to spit.

I think the issue here is not that you are comparing three people in the same point in their respective careers, but you are comparing Stanzi to the two biggest outliers in NFL quarterback prospecting history.

You could compare Stanzi to Warner and Brady, or you could compare him to the other 1000 quarterbacks like him who didn't amount to spit.
This.

The fact that it's possible for a player like Stanzi to emerge in the NFL is more than enough reason to discuss it. Just because Warner and Brady were longshots doesn't mean that a team won't take a chance on Stanzi, because he does have the tools, and great leadership skills. The arm strength is not THAT big of an issue. Like I mentioned earlier, Chad Pennington didn't have a cannon, either. Warner definitely didn't. Even Joe Montana didn't have a rocket arm. If Stanzi were to go to a West Coast-style offense, he could succeed very easily in the NFL.

Comparisons to Brady and Warner???? C'mon man.

Uh, I was comparing the arm strengths of each of them and that it's possible Stanzi could make it based on similar such strength.

C'mon man, you can't discern that I wasn't saying he was necessarily going to be as great as those guys but that the potential to make in the NFL was there?

I didn't compare him to them, another poster did. I just said he wasn't comparing Stanzi to the NFL careers of these guys, but rather to their careers in college.....

BTW: What were your predictions for Brad Banks going into the 2002 season Ghost? What were your predictions for Shonne Greene coming into the 2008 season? I'm sure you were busy ripping anyone that was trying to say they were going to have heisman type seasons.......

Edit note: I don't actually think Stanzi will have a heisman type season, but I do think he will be drafted....I forget what even the topic of this whole thread started off being....

Last edited:
The fact that it's possible for a player like Stanzi to emerge in the NFL is more than enough reason to discuss it. Just because Warner and Brady were longshots doesn't mean that a team won't take a chance on Stanzi, because he does have the tools, and great leadership skills. The arm strength is not THAT big of an issue. Like I mentioned earlier, Chad Pennington didn't have a cannon, either. Warner definitely didn't. Even Joe Montana didn't have a rocket arm. If Stanzi were to go to a West Coast-style offense, he could succeed very easily in the NFL.

This.

Warner has a great arm and is extremely accurate. Arm strength is a huge factor in the NFL. The number of QB's who "make it" in the NFL without top flight arm strength is pretty small. That being said, I think Ricky will get a shot

There is a possibility that Stanzi will invent a cream cheese which is low in calories yet still tastes delicious. That is not a reason to discuss it.

The arm strength is THAT big of an issue. Pennington had a weak arm, but could read a defense in his sleep. Ricky does not have that talent. 99% of QBs can't read a d like Pennington, which is why he was . Like I said before, Ricky's trouble in reading a defense only exascerbates his arm strength issues.

I didn't compare him to them, another poster did. I just said he wasn't comparing Stanzi to the NFL careers of these guys, but rather to their careers in college.....

BTW: What were your predictions for Brad Banks going into the 2002 season Ghost? What were your predictions for Shonne Greene coming into the 2008 season? I'm sure you were busy ripping anyone that was trying to say they were going to have heisman type seasons.......

BTW, Banks had 25 TD's and 5 INT in 2002, and finished 2nd in the Heisman voting (in a very loaded group of finalists, to boot, with Palmer, Larry Johnson, McGahee, and Dorsey). Stanzi could easily have that many TD's if he cuts down to 7-8 INT's, as that gives him more opportunities to throw a TD.

BTW, Banks had 25 TD's and 5 INT in 2002, and finished 2nd in the Heisman voting (in a very loaded group of finalists, to boot, with Palmer, Larry Johnson, McGahee, and Dorsey). Stanzi could easily have that many TD's if he cuts down to 7-8 INT's, as that gives him more opportunities to throw a TD.

That was exactly my point. How about Ingram last year.....He won it because they were undefeated....

Yes, McCoy is a good example. Guess what? He was a Heisman candidate and if he would have looked reasonably decent against Nebby, he would have won. Do you realize you just made my point for me? By your logic Iowa just needs to keep 13 more drives going throughout the entire 2010 season, just over one a game, and Stanzi just has to throw 3 less picks to be a candidate.

There is a possibility that Stanzi will invent a cream cheese which is low in calories yet still tastes delicious. That is not a reason to discuss it.

The arm strength is THAT big of an issue. Pennington had a weak arm, but could read a defense in his sleep. Ricky does not have that talent. 99% of QBs can't read a d like Pennington, which is why he was . Like I said before, Ricky's trouble in reading a defense only exascerbates his arm strength issues.

Can he not improve in those two areas? You know he still has another year to learn and become better.

Uh, I was comparing the arm strengths of each of them and that it's possible Stanzi could make it based on similar such strength.

C'mon man, you can't discern that I wasn't saying he was necessarily going to be as great as those guys but that the potential to make in the NFL was there?
Both of them have considerably stronger arms than Stanzi. Not to mention they're two of the most accurate passers in the history of the NFL, read defenses better and don't telegraph their throws.

Does Stanzi have at least some shot at making it in the NFL? Sure. I admitted as much by saying that he could be a 4th round pick next year earlier in this thread. But the comparisons to Brady, Warner and Montana just need to stop.

Both of them have considerably stronger arms than Stanzi. Not to mention they're two of the most accurate passers in the history of the NFL, read defenses better and don't telegraph their throws.

Does Stanzi have at least some shot at making it in the NFL? Sure. I admitted as much by saying that he could be a 4th round pick next year earlier in this thread. But the comparisons to Brady, Warner and Montana just need to stop.

I don't think they are comparing Stanzi to their NFL careers. Pretty sure they are talking about how they did in college and what not.

Stanzi has a pretty good arm. Does he telegraph his throws at times? Yes. Is that something that can be fixed, either by Iowa coaches or NFL coaches? Absolutely. His arm is easily good enough if he improves other areas of the game. Stanzi is a very accurate passer as well. It's the mistakes he makes reading defenses and forcing throws that lead to interceptions, not a lack of accuracy.

Latest posts