Stanzi

The Heisman has just as much to do with preseason hype and being on a winning team than it does naming the best college football player. It is supposed to identify the most outstanding football player during any given season. However, more often than not it does not happen. The odds of a player who is on an 8-4 team winning the Heisman is virtually nonexistant, no matter the skill level and performance of that player.

This Ricky for Heisman stuff needs to stop. Not because it is terribly inaccurate (it is), but because it is unfair to Ricky. It puts unrealistic expectations on him. For God's sake, he threw 2 more touchdowns than interceptions. He has room to improve, but keep it realistic.

This Ricky for Heisman stuff needs to stop. Not because it is terribly inaccurate (it is), but because it is unfair to Ricky. It puts unrealistic expectations on him. For God's sake, he threw 2 more touchdowns than interceptions. He has room to improve, but keep it realistic.

I don't think he's going to win it by any means (nor do I think he should). But it's not unrealistic to think that he's going to improve from last year. And it's a proven fact that if you're playing well on a NC contending team (which we may well be by the end of the year), you are likely to get an invite to NYC.

I don't think most ppl are expecting him to even be a contender. I know I don't. But the question was asked what if he was in contention & was on a BCS winning team next year where would he be placed. It's the offseason and we got a ways to go tell fall at least it's football talk.

Arm strength and ability to read defenses will be his negatives. Stanzi doesn't put much zip on intermediate routes. Scouts will question whether he can fit balls into tight spots in post, dig, and comeback routes in the NFL. Plus, Stanzi hasn't show great anticipation skills on these intermediate routes. I think it is highly questionable whether Stanzi can read and fit the ball into very small windows in the NFL.

On the positive side is intangibles, height/weight/speed, excellent touch, excellent deep-balls. Not sure that is enough to overcome average arm-strength and average anticipation skills.

In order to avoid redundancy, I'll just say ^^^ This. My biggest worry about Stanzi's NFL draftability is his arm strength. I think reading a defense can be taught, but there is only so much you can do with his arm.

In order to avoid redundancy, I'll just say ^^^ This. My biggest worry about Stanzi's NFL draftability is his arm strength. I think reading a defense can be taught, but there is only so much you can do with his arm.

Chad Pennington was like that, too. If he had had better luck, healthwise, he could have been a very solid starter for 7-10 years. Not a Pro Bowler, but a solid playoff-caliber QB.

Stanzi is neither a candidate for Heisman nor a candidate for the NFL, and the two categories have nothing to do with each other. The only people who care about college awards are the media and the fans of the award contenders.

Appreciate Stanzi for what he is. He's a good quarterback on a very good team. But he is nowhere, and I mean nowhere, near Heisman contention or NFL candidacy.

Stanzi is neither a candidate for Heisman nor a candidate for the NFL, and the two categories have nothing to do with each other. The only people who care about college awards are the media and the fans of the award contenders.

Appreciate Stanzi for what he is. He's a good quarterback on a very good team. But he is nowhere, and I mean nowhere, near Heisman contention or NFL candidacy.

Here is where you are wrong. The passing QB's from last year have moved on. A lot of the guys that will be in the discussion at the beginning of the year are runners as much as passers or non BCS league types. The passers, like Mallett are not going to be on contending teams.

Basically, there just aren't the usual suspects out there. That puts Ricky on the radar. If he can come out and have 3/1 TD to interception ratio in his first few games and the Hawks roll, he will be firmly in the discussion.

This is absolutely right. Stanzi will have to do so much to become a pro prospect it is crazy. I mean, it is forbidden for pro QBs to look at their recievers, but Ricky stares his down just about every play he walsk out there. If Michigan's horrible defense can anticipate his throws, imagine what a pro defensive back is going to do when Ricky tips his hand every time he drops back.

This tendancy to be unable to look off DBs only compounds his lack of arm strength. If he had a stonger arm, he could get away with it sometimes, but he doesn't. If he was able to read defenses better, he could get away with a medium strength arm. However, with the package he showed last year, he will not get a sniff of NFL action.

There is a level of improvement that can be expected, and a level of improvement that is unrealistic. Expecting him to be Heisman and NFL material is unrealistic.

Keep this in mind; The last five Qbs to win the Heisman put up TD/Int numbers of: Bradford-50/8, Tebow-33/6 (32 rushing tds), T. Smith-30/6, Leinart 33/6, J. White 40/10.

Now think of the amount of improvement that Stanzi will have to make to improve his 17/15 to get to Heisman standards. Double his touchdowns and half his interceptions? Does that really sound reasonable?

Stanzi will do what he always does. He will make a few spectacular plays, a few boneheaded ones while the defense keeps the team in games.

This is absolutely right. Stanzi will have to do so much to become a pro prospect it is crazy. I mean, it is forbidden for pro QBs to look at their recievers, but Ricky stares his down just about every play he walsk out there. If Michigan's horrible defense can anticipate his throws, imagine what a pro defensive back is going to do when Ricky tips his hand every time he drops back.

This tendancy to be unable to look off DBs only compounds his lack of arm strength. If he had a stonger arm, he could get away with it sometimes, but he doesn't. If he was able to read defenses better, he could get away with a medium strength arm. However, with the package he showed last year, he will not get a sniff of NFL action.

There is a level of improvement that can be expected, and a level of improvement that is unrealistic. Expecting him to be Heisman and NFL material is unrealistic.

Keep this in mind; The last five Qbs to win the Heisman put up TD/Int numbers of: Bradford-50/8, Tebow-33/6 (32 rushing tds), T. Smith-30/6, Leinart 33/6, J. White 40/10.

Now think of the amount of improvement that Stanzi will have to make to improve his 17/15 to get to Heisman standards. Double his touchdowns and half his interceptions? Does that really sound reasonable?

Stanzi will do what he always does. He will make a few spectacular plays, a few boneheaded ones while the defense keeps the team in games.

^This is exactly why I haven't posted in this thread; it would require typing out a long explanation of blatant truth in a situation that shouldn't merit it.

Ghost and ddiction are 100% correct. I love Stanzi, but he isn't going to do any better than signing as a free agent... and he's certainly not going to win the Heisman. At least not without massive, sweeping improvements over last year.

Again, there is no Bradford out there right now. The guy who has the best shot coming in might be Boise's Kellen Moore, and he plays in the MWC. Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma each start new QB's. Massoli is, at least, starting the season suspended. Jake Locker is the top rated QB with respect to the 2011 draft at this point, but UW has a long way to go before they are in national discussion. Bama has a returning QB, but also a Heisman winning RB.

The other guys who will be on the radar, Pryor, Barkley, etc. are still young and unproven.

There just isn't THAT guy. Look back at your list, who would you put up there with your list of Heisman winners that is coming back next year? Ryan Mallett, maybe? Hard to be on the radar when your team doesn't even win their side of the conference.

Now, looking at your comments about Ricky's need for improvement. He will have to stop making that same throw that got him nailed for the pick 6's last year. I cannot believe that the team would make that mistake again. I bet they looked at enough film to know how they were telegraphing that play.

Also. he will have to watch throwing deep into the wind. That got him in trouble. But, I see him dropping down to 10 or fewer INT's this year. That is not much to ask for. 5 fewer bad choices, after a summer of reviewing what went wrong.

As far as TD's are concerned, I see him moving up in that category significantly just because Iowa's offense will be stronger this year. More sustained drives means more opportunities to score. We are not talking about 60 yard bombs, but more like 5 yard slants and 10 yard fades. Plus, he will have had a whole summer working with experienced and talented WR's.

Of course I don't see him hitting Bradford type numbers, but I don't think that will be necessary. I see him somewhere in the realm of 32-10. If he does that and the Hawks are in the NC hunt, he will be in the discussion.

Even if it is unwarranted, the national media is talking about Stanzi and Clayborn when it comes to Iowa. He is on the radar, because he is in the mind of the media.

Last edited:
I guess I'll get ripped for this and am definitely in the minority but I don't think his arm strength is a problem-it's adequate to be an NFL quarterback. It's at least as strong as Brady's and K. Warner's and those guys are doing/did pretty well.

Now, his decision making we can all agree is an issue.

I guess I'll get ripped for this and am definitely in the minority but I don't think his arm strength is a problem-it's adequate to be an NFL quarterback. It's at least as strong as Brady's and K. Warner's and those guys are doing/did pretty well.

Now, his decision making we can all agree is an issue.
Comparisons to Brady and Warner???? C'mon man.

Comparisons to Brady and Warner???? C'mon man.

Why can't you compare Stanzi to those 2? Warner couldn't beat our Johnson to win the job in college, he was a 1 year starter at UNI. Brady, who thought he was an NFL QB when he was in college? Not one other NFL team but New England as a matter of fact.

So to compare Stanzi, to either of those AT THIS STAGE IN THEIR CAREERS, is appropriate.

Again, there is no Bradford out there right now. The guy who has the best shot coming in might be Boise's Kellen Moore, and he plays in the MWC. Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma each start new QB's. Massoli is, at least, starting the season suspended. Jake Locker is the top rated QB with respect to the 2011 draft at this point, but UW has a long way to go before they are in national discussion. Bama has a returning QB, but also a Heisman winning RB.

The other guys who will be on the radar, Pryor, Barkley, etc. are still young and unproven.

There just isn't THAT guy. Look back at your list, who would you put up there with your list of Heisman winners that is coming back next year? Ryan Mallett, maybe? Hard to be on the radar when your team doesn't even win their side of the conference.

You seem to be stuck in some realm of backwards logic where being a Qb on a good team automatically includes you in Heisman talk.

You have to have huge numbers and you have to be on a winning team. Stanzi is not going to put up huge numbers. The last five Heisman winning Qbs have averaged 37 tds and 7 ints. Reason would dictate that the next QB to win the Heisman would have to have numbers around that.

In order to sniff those numbers, Rick would have to more than double his TDs and more than half his ints.

That is not a realistic expectation, so stop dumping it on him.

^This is exactly why I haven't posted in this thread; it would require typing out a long explanation of blatant truth in a situation that shouldn't merit it.

Ghost and ddiction are 100% correct. I love Stanzi, but he isn't going to do any better than signing as a free agent... and he's certainly not going to win the Heisman. At least not without massive, sweeping improvements over last year.

You all seem to forget the original post. Go read it again. It says something to the effect of "if Stanzi takes the Hawks to another BCS game and is in contention for the Heismen trophy where would he end up in the draft?". Now tell me why everyone seems to think that he could even end up in contention for Heismen if he had the year he did last season? He would obviously have to improve a ton and if he does improve a ton he has a chance to be in the draft. All of you are just going off of his stats of last year but that is not what this topic was even supposed to be about....

You all seem to forget the original post. Go read it again. It says something to the effect of "if Stanzi takes the Hawks to another BCS game and is in contention for the Heismen trophy where would he end up in the draft?". Now tell me why everyone seems to think that he could even end up in contention for Heismen if he had the year he did last season? He would obviously have to improve a ton and if he does improve a ton he has a chance to be in the draft. All of you are just going off of his stats of last year but that is not what this topic was even supposed to be about....

No, my entire point has been that the level of improvement that some expect of him is unrealistic. I am pretty sure I wrote some varient of that about 30 times.

Also, in a rider to that point, what Ricky needs to work on to improve his draftability is not what will get him monster numbers.

You seem to be stuck in some realm of backwards logic where being a Qb on a good team automatically includes you in Heisman talk.

You have to have huge numbers and you have to be on a winning team. Stanzi is not going to put up huge numbers. The last five Heisman winning Qbs have averaged 37 tds and 7 ints. Reason would dictate that the next QB to win the Heisman would have to have numbers around that.

In order to sniff those numbers, Rick would have to more than double his TDs and more than half his ints.

That is not a realistic expectation, so stop dumping it on him.

Um, who is in the realm of backwards logic? You seem to think that defenses won't catch up, or haven't started to catch up to the spread offense. New offenses outpace defenses at first. Then the defenses catch up. Why doesn't the West Coast offense just march the ball down the field anymore? Where is the Run and Shoot?

Could the Bradford and Tebow numbers be inflated? How come the numbers seemed to drop a bit this year? How could a running back possibly win the Heisman when just the year before last, when Shonn was running wild, people on here were saying the age of RB's winning the Heisman were done?

Drew Stanton was a Heisman candidate at the beginning of his stellar 12-10 season. Guess what? He was also a second round draft pick.

You have no idea how strong Ricky's arm is really. That will have to be measured by the scouts.

Now, this being said, Iowa is not going to start the season with a Joey Harrington campaign. However, they are going to start the season in the Top Ten, with Stanzi and Clayborn as the two media darlings of the group. Like it or not, if Iowa has early success and Ricky is not throwing the ball to the other team, which I think he will do with far less frequency this year, he will get a huge amount of the credit for the team's success just because the media will not want to spend much effort to figure out any other reason.

Why can't you compare Stanzi to those 2? Warner couldn't beat our Johnson to win the job in college, he was a 1 year starter at UNI. Brady, who thought he was an NFL QB when he was in college? Not one other NFL team but New England as a matter of fact.

So to compare Stanzi, to either of those AT THIS STAGE IN THEIR CAREERS, is appropriate.
Because those two are HOF QBs.

Latest posts