Stanzi

shawk23

Let just say that the Hawks put together a very good year and win another BCS bowl game, Stanzi cuts down on his turnovers and is in Heisman contention at the end of the year and possibly wins it. What does everyone think his draft stock will be? id say 2nd-3rd round.

Honestly 3rd to 5th round. I'm not a qb expert, and i love Ricky but I think no matter what, the "experts" will likely down grade him based off of combine numbers or slow release or some dam thing.

I do however think that Rick might just be the one Iowa QB that makes a nice career in the NFL despite his draft spot.

Honestly 3rd to 5th round. I'm not a qb expert, and i love Ricky but I think no matter what, the "experts" will likely down grade him based off of combine numbers or slow release or some dam thing.

I do however think that Rick might just be the one Iowa QB that makes a nice career in the NFL despite his draft spot.

He's got the tools to be successful. His problem hasn't been lack of talent, it's been poor decision making at times. NFL teams will take chances on those guys because decision-making can be learned, where as talent that's not the case. He may get into the late-2nd with a great year and VERY good combine. But 4th round is more likely.

I don't sell Rick short on talent at all. Maybe I'm being negative here, but it just seems like when it comes to guessing where a QB will go, or what they will do in the league, it is next to impossible to tell and that is one area that this Iowa staff does not yet have a reputation for developing for the next level.

Bottom line.. I have no idea.

Arm strength and ability to read defenses will be his negatives. Stanzi doesn't put much zip on intermediate routes. Scouts will question whether he can fit balls into tight spots in post, dig, and comeback routes in the NFL. Plus, Stanzi hasn't show great anticipation skills on these intermediate routes. I think it is highly questionable whether Stanzi can read and fit the ball into very small windows in the NFL.

On the positive side is intangibles, height/weight/speed, excellent touch, excellent deep-balls. Not sure that is enough to overcome average arm-strength and average anticipation skills.

Well if he wins the heismen I see him going late 1st round or early 2nd round. If he's just in contention for the heismen I see him going in the 5th or 6th round. That Heismen can do wonders for you. If Brad Banks would have won it, he would have at least been drafted. Stanzi has to improve a lot with his decision making, especially on those short passes if he wants to even be a heismen contender or even make the draft. Besides him working on his decision making he has it all to become a NFL QB IMO.

BTW ppl the OP is saying if he leads the team to a BCS game and is in Heismen contention so he would obviously be a better QB then he was last year. A lot better.

Last edited:
I saw him last night (out with the new KC Chief). He is taller than I thought. He defiantely has the body type. I'm sure he is working on weak areas. It will be interesting to see where he lands.

Ricky has a head start since Iowa runs a pro style offense. He has the arm strength to make the throws the only thing he needs to improve on is reading a defense which every QB needs to work on anyway. He is a leader on the team which is another great quality to have. I know people have said this before and I might get railen on for saying this but I see Stanzi as a young Brady. If Ricky has a great year I could see him going in the third round or later.

Even Brady did not go til the 6th round,right?
I love me some Ricky,but QB's just never seem to go very high anymore,unless they are chosen in the top ten. Ricky will not be in that elite company.
Dan Lafevour looked like he had all the tools but did not go til round 6.

I think the best Ricky can hope for is rounds 4-7. But I do think he is the best Iowa pro qb prospect since Chuck Long and has a chance to make a team.

I don't sell Rick short on talent at all. Maybe I'm being negative here, but it just seems like when it comes to guessing where a QB will go, or what they will do in the league, it is next to impossible to tell and that is one area that this Iowa staff does not yet have a reputation for developing for the next level.

Bottom line.. I have no idea.

Well to be fair, it's not like we've been working with prototype QB's at Iowa. Mullen was just not very good, Beutjer didn't stay here. McCann and Chandler were just serviceable college QB's. Banks and Tate were too short (though Tate certainly had the arm and both had good athleticism). Christensen.....well I won't go there. Stanzi is the first guy we've had here that has the right body type, and the tools to go with it. Everybody else we've had (with the possible exception of Beutjer) has only had one or the other. That's been enough for us to be successful, but it doesn't translate to the pros. Stanzi does.

I'm not sure about his zip on intermediate throws, either, though I'm sure that's something he's probably going to be working on. He probably had the best touch of any QB in the country this side of Colt McCoy. He's made some terrific deep throws (TD to Moeaki at Madison, believe the first TD pass to Sandeman against FIU in 2008), and he's got that "bracket throw" between the linebackers and safeties down pat. Biggest thing is decision-making, and that's priority #1 in his book. I don't think he's bad at reading defenses. He just has a tendency to force some throws.

Well if he wins the heismen I see him going late 1st round or early 2nd round. If he's just in contention for the heismen I see him going in the 5th or 6th round. That Heismen can do wonders for you. If Brad Banks would have won it, he would have at least been drafted. Stanzi has to improve a lot with his decision making, especially on those short passes if he wants to even be a heismen contender or even make the draft. Besides him working on his decision making he has it all to become a NFL QB IMO.

BTW ppl the OP is saying if he leads the team to a BCS game and is in Heismen contention so he would obviously be a better QB then he was last year. A lot better.

Winning the Heisman has very little to do with where a player gets drafted. NFL scouts and GMs do not care whether a player won the Heisman. Jason White went undrafted. Troy Smith was drafted in the 5th round. Chris Wienke, despite very similar body type and much better #s than Ricky, still went in the 4th round. Winning the Heisman will have little to no effect on where Stanzi is drafted.

I think there's a wide range of possibilities for Stanzi's future. If he has a great season, correcting his identified trouble spots, and leading Iowa at least into the mNC hunt, then he could get a nice draft spot. If he continues to have turnover problems and the Hawkeyes fall short of expectations, he could be a forgotten man next April.

It is so hard to tell. It looks like he has arm strength. But, it might just look like that because he is playing against college kids. Won't know anything until pre-draft workouts. Sorgi, the kid from MSU and Kafka were recent Big Ten QB's that went in the draft.

Any one else notice that when Bulaga was drafted they showed some high lights of the team.I thought while watching it that Stanzi looked very good on his passes.

Winning the Heisman has very little to do with where a player gets drafted. NFL scouts and GMs do not care whether a player won the Heisman. Jason White went undrafted. Troy Smith was drafted in the 5th round. Chris Wienke, despite very similar body type and much better #s than Ricky, still went in the 4th round. Winning the Heisman will have little to no effect on where Stanzi is drafted.

Good points. So is the Heismen just a joke? popularity contest more then skill? Probably so.

Doubt he goes above the 4th. His arm strength just isn't that great and his decision-making has been quite poor. It's a pretty deep QB class to boot, especially if Pryor, Mallet and Luck all come out.

I wouldn't call it a joke. It's all about college success, not how guys project to the pro game.

If it's all about college success why was Shonn Greene left out of heismen talk? You rarely ever heard his name. Also Gerhart was supposedly the best RB in the nation but Ingram won... I don't get that one. Plus it's been all offense for a while now (mostly QB's).

If it's all about college success why was Shonn Greene left out of heismen talk? You rarely ever heard his name. Also Gerhart was supposedly the best RB in the nation but Ingram won... I don't get that one. Plus it's been all offense for a while now (mostly QB's).

It's a joke. It almost never goes to the best college player (Larry Fitzgerald, Adrian Peterson, Vince Young, Darren McFadden, Colt McCoy, and Ndamakung Suh say hello).

Latest posts