Stanzi has always been average at best

Dear sweet Jebus, Stanzi did not win 3 straight bowl games. The team won 3 straight bowl games.

Stanzi is what he is -- a solid, system QB who had some talent to work with in solid offensive lines, solid WRs, a terrific RB in '08, and solid RBs the other 2 seasons. Deifying him has gotten old, but to say "he sucks" is just as tired of an act. He makes some horrible and stupid throws, but he also makes very good ones as well. I've never been a big fan of his, but it will be hard to replace the knowledge you can only get with live game experience.

I for one would like to thank Rick Stanzi for a great career and fine representation of the university and the Hawkeye football team. Great leadership and example of a young man.

I will miss him next year but also look forward to the next two years - I believe we will all see something very special in the next man in.

I can't complain about Stanzi. Of course, in previous seasons he could drive you nuts. Yeah, he can still drive you nuts. Being that there's only a maybe 3 or 4 quarterbacks a year in college football who don't drive a majority of their fans nuts...it's hard to complain about that too much.

59.1% 14 - 9
56.3% 17-15
64.1% 25-6

All I ever wanted to see him do was improve his consistancy and decision making. That's what everyone seamed to scream for. He did that admirably. For a season and a half, my heart stopped every time he dropped back or rolled out. Not so much this year.

Plus.....he's an awesome American with a sweet sweet head of hair.

DJK made ricky look a lot better than he is, which was clearly illustrated last night.

great locker room guy, but average. a system QB that benefited greatly from the talent around him.

Hyde doesnt run that ball back for a TD and stanzi comes in and throws another pick, game mizzouri.

Ricky is not a "system QB". We run a pro style offense, not a "system". We don't do it with gimicks, smoke, or mirrors. He's asked to line up under center on 90% of plays, read the defense, make any adjustments needed, and execute a play.

Ricky Stanzi is going to get drafted and he will hold a clipboard for years and earn more money than most of us can think of. At 6'4 and 230 he already knows how to go under center and moves above average for a QB. He has an average arm and needs to develop in that area. He also doesn't make very good reads, but he does it from under center. Gabbert does it all from shotgun and anyone that has played QB can tell you that shotgun is easier that is why you see it so much in college (to simplify for inferior QBs). That is the reason why there is Luck and Everyone else is at least 2 leaps below him. Nothing wrong with what Stanzi will do. Think of him as the next Sage Rosenfels. I'd take it skills that you are a solid back-up, and make lots of money, but don't have to do the dirty work...and remember the back-up is always the favorite player on the team.

you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. teams run the spread to hide their QB's inferior ability? that is laughable and you are a moron.

Luck, Gabbert, Mallet, Kaepernick, Newton are the top college QB's right now. their athletic ability/raw talent is lightyears ahead of stanzi, no question.

DJK made ricky look a lot better than he is, which was clearly illustrated last night.

great locker room guy, but average. a system QB that benefited greatly from the talent around him.

Hyde doesnt run that ball back for a TD and stanzi comes in and throws another pick, game mizzouri.

Why so negative after a Iowa win? We beat a top 12 team without our starting rb and wr.

Oh wait your a clown fan, my bad. I can see why you would be ****** with a Iowa win.

Last edited:
Ricky is not a "system QB". We run a pro style offense, not a "system". We don't do it with gimicks, smoke, or mirrors. He's asked to line up under center on 90% of plays, read the defense, make any adjustments needed, and execute a play.

you line up and see X, you change the play to Y. You line up and see Z, you change the play to V. that's a system. STanzi isn't peyton manning out there calling his own plays. he does what he's been taught to do and he does it rather well much of the time. when he has to creat on his own or the drawn up play isnt there, that is when he makes mistakes.

I don't think it can be argued that stanzi is about average for a college QB and benefitted greatly from those around him. case in point, Vandenberg coming in last year against Ohio state and having the success that he did. any QB with a decent arm and an understanding of the offense can come in and have success.

Ricky will be a very good pro quarterback for a long time, most likely a backup he will be an NFL QB.

He is very accurate, and that is the most important thing you look for in a young QB. You can't teach that for the most part. I know some question his arm but any decent scout or position coach will tell you that arm strength can be increased. Also, few teams run an air raid down the field passing game that requires a huge arm to sling the ball down field on every play. The game is about short routes and accurate passing now days.

Ricky can make every throw and tosses a fine deep ball when he needs to. Given his chance over a 16 game NFL season (after soem time to learn and assuming he has a few targets) I would predict his number would be around 57% passing, 3800 yards, 18 TDs, and 10 INTs. Great? No, but not too bad and perfectly acceptable for a player with a run game and decent defense.

Why so negative after a Iowa win? We beat a top 12 team without our starting rb and wr.

Oh wait your a clown fan, my bad. I can see why you would be ****** with a Iowa win.

this discussion is about ricky stanzi and how talented of QB he is. last night was an example of how IMO some people's view of him is a bit inflated.

great contribution BTW

Those of you bashing a specific 19-21 year old college football player are idiots. It's a team moron. There are a lot of other FBS, FCS college teams/fans that wish they have what we have in Iowa City. Stanzi led the team to a lot of thrilling victories. I hope to be cheering for him in the NFL but if not he will be successfull in whatever he does.

Ricky will be a very good pro quarterback for a long time, most likely a backup he will be an NFL QB.

He is very accurate, and that is the most important thing you look for in a young QB. You can't teach that for the most part. I know some question his arm but any decent scout or position coach will tell you that arm strength can be increased. Also, few teams run an air raid down the field passing game that requires a huge arm to sling the ball down field on every play. The game is about short routes and accurate passing now days.

so, how many career backups are considered to be "very good" in your "expert" opinion?

do you even watch the NFL? it is a pass first run second league anymore.

I think stanzi goes undrafted and maybe makes somebody's roster through free agency. If he plans on starting in a pro game ever, I don't think it will be in the National Football League.

this discussion is about ricky stanzi and how talented of QB he is. last night was an example of how IMO some people's view of him is a bit inflated.

great contribution BTW

I wouldn't consider a guy projected to go in the 4-5 round "average", he has the capacity to be a smart, accurate pocket passer. I don't see him starting anytime soon, but I hope he at least gets a shot at it.

Luck = Top player in draft and as solid of a QB to be drafted in a long time when he comes out...Pro-Style offense.

Gabbert = Great Arm can make any throw, Risk - Shotgun QB (Shotgun allows you to make reads from a stand still = easier than moving. Also allows shorter QBs chance to make reads - he is 6'0 not what pros want.)

Mallett = Best Arm in Draft, Risk - almost too tall, QBs over 6'6 tend to not do well because their feet aren't usually that good.

Kaepernick = Running QB, Risk - not a pure passer and must learn to make reads as his system is similar to the system Vince Young was in where he reads only half the field the majority of the time.

Newton = Top athletic talent at QB, Needs to learn under center reads, He is a better pure passer than Tim Tebow without the bad delivery.

Stanzi = Ideal size, somewhat mobile, weak arm, struggles with reads at times, Pro-Style offense understands the drop.

Shotgun is meant to give QBs the time to read a defense faster. But at the same time takes away some of your ability to downhill run the ball. Downhill running is something you need in the pros. The foot work of coming from under center is not easy. Add in reading a defense on the move. Stanzi is below all those players I would agree but he will be drafted because of his background. BTW I only see two starters in the Pros in the the group you put up...Luck and Newton. The inferior ability I was talking about comes in coaching proper technique of feet and reading defenses from under center it is difficult so coaches take the easy route and go with shotgun.

Never mind the pick that Gabbert threw in the end zone, right?

so, how many career backups are considered to be "very good" in your "expert" opinion?

do you even watch the NFL? it is a pass first run second league anymore.

I think stanzi goes undrafted and maybe makes somebody's roster through free agency. If he plans on starting in a pro game ever, I don't think it will be in the National Football League.

Seneca Wallace and Sage Rosenfels have made fairly nice livings being career backups, haven't they?

Stanzi is going to get drafted.

Those of you bashing a specific 19-21 year old college football player are idiots. It's a team moron. There are a lot of other FBS, FCS college teams/fans that wish they have what we have in Iowa City. Stanzi led the team to a lot of thrilling victories. I hope to be cheering for him in the NFL but if not he will be successfull in whatever he does.

I dont think people are necessarily bashing him. saying that a guy is average and pointing out examples as to why is merely being critical. if you want to be a blind homer then go for it, but you have to be willing to accept that not everyone's opinion will be identical to your own.

was stanzi a decent college QB with a very good record? Yes, that is indesputable. But was stanzi what made Iowa what they were over the past few years? I dont think so.

look at Auburn, take cam newton out of the equation and that is an above average SEC team at best (7-5, 8-4, somewhere in that range). but with him they are in the national championship game. could you say the same about ricky? is Iowa an average team last year without the guy or are they still most likely competing for a BCS bid?

Ricky is going to get drafted because he has the best hair of any of the graduating QBs.

Count me in the "excited to see Vandenberg" camp. I think he has "it". He may press a little but I think his will to win is greater than Ricky's and you gotta love an Iowa kid.

I dont think people are necessarily bashing him. saying that a guy is average and pointing out examples as to why is merely being critical. if you want to be a blind homer then go for it, but you have to be willing to accept that not everyone's opinion will be identical to your own.

was stanzi a decent college QB with a very good record? Yes, that is indesputable. But was stanzi what made Iowa what they were over the past few years? I dont think so.

look at Auburn, take cam newton out of the equation and that is an above average SEC team at best (7-5, 8-4, somewhere in that range). but with him they are in the national championship game. could you say the same about ricky? is Iowa an average team last year without the guy or are they still most likely competing for a BCS bid?

Excellent post.

Iowa has had some elite defenses over the last 10 years but not a single QB has sniffed the NFL. Can you imagine how good Iowa would be with Blaine Gabbert?

Latest posts