Stanzi has always been average at best

Stanzi has got a lot of Jeckyl & Hyde going on. He was/is a great Hawkeye. He did things the right way.

Still, he will have to work on passing accuracy if he is to make it in the next level for more than a season. Some were just horrible throws this year.

Maybe if KOK gets out of his ear and gets a real QB coach in the NFL we'll see him have some success.

Stanzi had a bad game, that I don't think even he would argue, but he was missing one of his favorite targets for the last three years. It is kind of a big deal to be without the top receiver.

And he will put in the work that is needed. He won't be Peyton Manning, but he will get his shot at the big time.

Stanzi did nothing to hurt his stock in this game unless you think Matt Millen was a good gm. He threw two picks yes, but managed the game, set the tone early and hit wide open receivers all game. If he is drafted after the third round I will be shocked.

Both INTs could have been contested which is the story of his career. McNutt really needs to become a DB on that play and was a fan on the first one.

The second was a nice break by the safety and a poor playcall to boot. Herman is going to be good, and will have an outstanding senior season but did not earn that kind of call in that situation and again did nothing to defend the pass.

Look, I'm not wanting to badmouth an outgoing senior who's been a good Hawk but those were BAD throws. Period. Throws that shouldn't be made my a 5th year senior.

If you want to see a good qb watch last year's Orange Bowl. He had a few awesome passes. Tonight he was subpar and we were lucky to win despite his terrible mistakes.

Look, I'm not wanting to badmouth an outgoing senior who's been a good Hawk but those were BAD throws. Period. Throws that shouldn't be made my a 5th year senior.

If you want to see a good qb watch last year's Orange Bowl. He had a few awesome passes. Tonight he was subpar and we were lucky to win despite his terrible mistakes.

The #1 rated (or #2) QB according to the draftnics made a bad one or two as well, no??

And the 1st INT was on #7. He gave up on the route when he got bumped.

Hey wait, we have an excellent pic for this...

haters-gonna-hate-kid.jpg

So Stanzi had nothing to do with Coker's big night? How many of his runs were audibles?
There is more to the position than arm strength and Iowa's receivers leave him out to dry often. He made two bad throws all night. That is below average for the season. This just happened to be the time a defense could make plays on it. He was more aggressive in this game than he has been for a long time.

Keenan Davis should have seen more time, Chaney is a terrible receiver- he is fast but creates no separation and has bad hands. Give me Stanzi, McNutt, Davis, Sandeman and Davis and you have a building block for a decent 3rd down attack. Chaney seeing the field so often makes me lose confidence in Campbell.

spud hawk is right on. besides 2nd all time in Hawkeye passing td's, yeah, he sucks.. forced a couple things at times but also made some good reads, audibles & throws. tired of the b.s. negative people on the boards.

So Stanzi had nothing to do with Coker's big night? How many of his runs were audibles?
There is more to the position than arm strength and Iowa's receivers leave him out to dry often. He made two bad throws all night. That is below average for the season. This just happened to be the time a defense could make plays on it. He was more aggressive in this game than he has been for a long time.

Keenan Davis should have seen more time, Chaney is a terrible receiver- he is fast but creates no separation and has bad hands. Give me Stanzi, McNutt, Davis, Sandeman and Davis and you have a building block for a decent 3rd down attack. Chaney seeing the field so often makes me lose confidence in Campbell.

The 1st int is on McNutt. He gave up on the play coming out of his break, when he got bumped. I don't think he expected the ball to come. Had he not given up, he'd have caught the ball, or at least knocked it down. Ball was thrown well.

Ricky will not "play" on Sundays. He's not likely going to be a starting QB in the NFL. But there is little doubt in my mind that he will hold a clipboard as somebody's backup for a long time. He'll be in the NFL, he just won't see regular time.

Ricky will not "play" on Sundays. He's not likely going to be a starting QB in the NFL. But there is little doubt in my mind that he will hold a clipboard as somebody's backup for a long time. He'll be in the NFL, he just won't see regular time.

I'm calling the Pats or the Chiefs sometime in rounds 5-7. Seems like the type of player these teams would want to have hold the clipboard.

McNutt did not give up on the route. He got chucked and it slowed him down. He did everything he could to break that up. I don't need my smart phone to tell me that.

As I recall, there were a boat-load of you calling for KOK to put Stanzi in over Christensen. Let's see....yeah...***** and whine. Never happy huh?

He's been a great Hawkeye, solid performance (no, not perfect, but I don't expect that) so STFU.

As I recall, there were a boat-load of you calling for KOK to put Stanzi in over Christensen. Let's see....yeah...***** and whine. Never happy huh?

He's been a great Hawkeye, solid performance (no, not perfect, but I don't expect that) so STFU.

Thank you 101 - Iowa's game plan is like the Ravens the year they won the Super Bowl, play great defense and only rely on the QB to take of the ball and make a play or two a game. Stanzi executed his role to perfection more often than not and ranks up there with Marc Vlasic as one of the best Hawk QBs to ever wear the number 12.

Wow lighten up Hawkeye fans. Stanzi was not a very heralded recruit but may have saved Ferentz's job, came in for Christianson and won 3 straight bowl games, one Orange bowl, Great leader on and off the field, He is not Matt Ryan but he is one of my favorite Hawkeyes, really competed the right way, not perfect like some of his critics on this forum but I thank him for 4 great years!

Anyone believes he will play on Sunday is seriously deluded

Ricky didn't have his best game last night. But this is over the top......again. Why are some of you so negative.....even after a win. Sober up and apologize in the morning. Again!!

Had the O-line not established to run game early and we needed to rely on Stanzi's arm in this game it would have been long night for us.

Stanzi made some great adjustments at the line of scrimmage. From a game management perspective he had a very, very good game. From an execution standpoint, it was about a C-. He had one excellent pass to McNutt in the opening drive. After that, any of the passes requiring finesse were picked off. Fortunatley most of the passes required of Stanzi last night were throws to receivers in open field.

This is exactly what the Iowa offense was/is supposed to look like. Run the ball at will. Throw in a lot of play action (throwing to wide open Reisner or Sandeman), then take a shot or two deep (ala McNutt's big reception ). We don't need a superstar athlete at the QB position to be effective offensively. We do need someone with above average football IQ. Stanzi has that in spades. How well that will that transfer into the NFL will depend on the team. As a previous poster mentioned the Ravens are a good fit, before the Mike Martz era I would have said the Bears were a good fit too. I look at Kyle Orton and think Stanzi may be able to follow a similar path.

Last edited:
Ricky Stanzi is going to get drafted and he will hold a clipboard for years and earn more money than most of us can think of. At 6'4 and 230 he already knows how to go under center and moves above average for a QB. He has an average arm and needs to develop in that area. He also doesn't make very good reads, but he does it from under center. Gabbert does it all from shotgun and anyone that has played QB can tell you that shotgun is easier that is why you see it so much in college (to simplify for inferior QBs). That is the reason why there is Luck and Everyone else is at least 2 leaps below him. Nothing wrong with what Stanzi will do. Think of him as the next Sage Rosenfels. I'd take it skills that you are a solid back-up, and make lots of money, but don't have to do the dirty work...and remember the back-up is always the favorite player on the team.

Latest posts