Stanzi Bet

I have said for quite some time that Stanzi will not be drafted.

He simply does not excell at any area of quarterbacking. His is good at most, bad at some, but not exceptional in any.

Pass accuracy is the most important aspect of professional quarterbacking, and Rick does not have it. A professional QB has to pass it to his receiver without looking at him, and Rick has huge trouble doing that.

College DBs have been eating Stanzi alive, and professional DBs will have a field day with him.

Any response directed towards my argument and not my intelligence is greatly appriciated:)

I think these are reasons for why he wont be successful at the next level but pros love taking guys in the later rounds as a project and Stanzi has the size to be a NFL QB. I think he will get drafted but for the reasons ghost listed he probably wont make it

i do think he will get drafted easily but won't be a star or see a lot of playing time unless he gets more accurate the interceptions have got to be minimal for him to get drafted higher

He simply does not excell at any area of quarterbacking. His is good at most, bad at some, but not exceptional in any.

Pass accuracy is the most important aspect of professional quarterbacking, and Rick does not have it. A professional QB has to pass it to his receiver without looking at him, and Rick has huge trouble doing that.

College DBs have been eating Stanzi alive, and professional DBs will have a field day with him.

Any response directed towards my argument and not my intelligence is greatly appriciated:)

And you have been wrong for some time now.

Look at last years draft:

2010 Quarterbacks
Rd # Player College Team
1 1 Sam Bradford Oklahoma St. Louis Rams
1 25 Tim Tebow Florida Denver Broncos
2 48 Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame Carolina Panthers
3 85 Colt McCoy Texas Cleveland Browns
3 89 Armanti Edwards Appalachian State Carolina Panthers (As WR)
4 122 Mike Kafka Northwestern Philadelphia Eagles
5 155 John Skelton Fordham Arizona Cardinals
5 168 Jonathan Crompton Tennessee San Diego Chargers
6 176 Rusty Smith Florida Atlantic Tennessee Titans
6 181 Dan Lefevour Central Michigan Chicago Bears
6 204 Tony Pike Cincinnati Carolina Panthers
7 209 Levi Brown Troy State Buffalo Bills
7 239 Sean Canfield Oregon State New Orleans Saints
7 250 Zac Robinson Oklahoma State New England Patriots

I'll let someone else take the time to look up their stats, but I would say it is a safe bet to say he will be drafted next year.

Some good posts in this thread...I definitely think Stanzi has the nfl QB mold, 6'5" 215+. We have all seen him made some really great throws, and some really bad ones. Like a previous poster said, RS is a guy who could be a high risk-reward type guy, I'd imagine some nfl teams would be interested in giving him a shot. I'm guessing a late round pick unless he has an awesome SR year.

1)Drew Brews and Tom Brady did not excel in any one category when drafted either.

2) Your 2nd or 3rd point is spot on, however, I've watched every single game last year multiple times and any out pattern or ball thrown to the flat he struggled to throw the ball to a spot, anticipating where the receiver is going to be. Some of it was the receiver's fault, but not all of them.

3) I can see Stanzi going anywhere from the 3rd rd. to not being drafted at all. I am all over the place when it comes to Stanzi.

4) If can get into a situation similiar to what he had at Iowa, a 2 star kid who had a chance to learn and develop without hype/expectations, he might have decent chance of making a NFL roster.

Of the list of QB's drafted last year, the most comparable, in my mind, is Canfeld from OSU. I think Ricky has a slightly better arm, but physically I think they're very comparable. Canfeld also had quite a bit of success, as had Ricky, but I think Canfeld had better numbers, in parituclar the interceptions. Canfeld also went to one of the postseason bowls and I think that actually hurt his stock a bit, so I'm curious to see what Ricky does after the season.

Definitely a lot of good points in this thread, though, in particular re the type of offense the QB runs in college, which I think may be one of Ricky's best attributes. So few teams run traditional, pro-style O's anymore that at times it seems like a bit of a lost art.

Sean Canfield Stats

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2006 28 45 335 62.2 7.44 67 2 2 2 130.53
2007 165 286 1661 57.7 5.81 48 9 15 26 106.37
2008 56 84 703 66.7 8.37 75 6 2 2 155.78
2009 303 446 3271 67.9 7.33 87 21 7 26 141.94

Ricky Stanzi Stats

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2007 0 4 0 0.0 0.00 0 0 1 0 -50.00
2008 150 254 1956 59.1 7.70 59 14 9 22 134.85
2009 171 304 2417 56.3 7.95 92 17 15 23 131.62

Sorry...best I can do for stats.

Canfield was also 1st Team All Pac 10 QB last year. Stanzi won a lot of games last year...but I wouldn't say he's been better than Canfield by any stretch of the imagination - and Canfield was a late 7th rounder.

Last edited:

Latest posts