Stanley is #2?

I guess the thing that confuses me is why so many are treating "mop up" duty like a problem that needs to be solved, as opposed to an opportunity to gain experience. The question is not whether or not we have someone else on the squad capable of handing the ball off in garbage time. There are probably half a dozen people on the team that are capable of doing that. But garbage time is not a problem to solve, it is an opportunity to get better.

I would love to hear the input from people on this board who have played at the collegiate-level. Did your head swim the first time you saw live, game action? I played at a very low level (DIII) in front of empty stands, but my first snap was way different for me from what I had practiced. After the first few series (and definitely the first few games), things settle down. If you really expect Stanley to be ready when he is called upon later in the season, you cannot just hope that lots of practice will get the job done, you have to get him live reps when possible.

I guess the thing that confuses me is why so many are treating "mop up" duty like a problem that needs to be solved, as opposed to an opportunity to gain experience. The question is not whether or not we have someone else on the squad capable of handing the ball off in garbage time. There are probably half a dozen people on the team that are capable of doing that. But garbage time is not a problem to solve, it is an opportunity to get better.

I would love to hear the input from people on this board who have played at the collegiate-level. Did your head swim the first time you saw live, game action? I played at a very low level (DIII) in front of empty stands, but my first snap was way different for me from what I had practiced. After the first few series (and definitely the first few games), things settle down. If you really expect Stanley to be ready when he is called upon later in the season, you cannot just hope that lots of practice will get the job done, you have to get him live reps when possible.

Live reps are the real deal. Even him just taking snaps and handing the football off will help him. Cannot be duplicated with practice reps

I think it's great a true frosh has enough stills/ability to even have the option to be the #2. Hopefully he'll get more game snaps and throws. Given KF's past apprehension to put underclassmen over upperclassmen, this kid may have "it".

There is no crystal ball for the future. If he's your #2, he plays. While I understand people wanting to have a highly skills QB for as many years as possible, no way to know what the next 4 years hold regarding recruiting, injuries, development, etc. If we have another great year(s), recruiting will continue to improve.

If he's truly the #2....then he's first in when QB1 comes out, it's really that simple.

Hopefully, he'll get more game snaps....would really enjoy him getting about 30+ snaps this week because we are up by about 5 touchdowns in the 3rd.

I can't believe people are disputing that live action doesn't benefit the player if its in "mop-up duty" when Drew Tate literally just said it helped him exponentially prepare for his soph year as starter. The players are not able to go live in practice like you might imagine. Nothing in practice can replicate in game action regardless of if he's just handing the ball off.

Forget the action itself even for a second and think about the mental confidence he gained for himself and likely from his teammates.

You don't hold back your best players. You lay em all out on the table. Think about what this could mean for future recruits considering Iowa. More and more freshman are coming into college wanting to make an immediate impact and this shows a willingness from Iowa's staff to put the best players on the field regardless of age.

I can't believe people are disputing that live action doesn't benefit the player if its in "mop-up duty" when Drew Tate literally just said it helped him exponentially prepare for his soph year as starter. The players are not able to go live in practice like you might imagine. Nothing in practice can replicate in game action regardless of if he's just handing the ball off.

Forget the action itself even for a second and think about the mental confidence he gained for himself and likely from his teammates.

You don't hold back your best players. You lay em all out on the table. Think about what this could mean for future recruits considering Iowa. More and more freshman are coming into college wanting to make an immediate impact and this shows a willingness from Iowa's staff to put the best players on the field regardless of age.
Oh, well if it helped Drew Tate, than it's Gospel, lol......I stand corrected!

Oh, well if it helped Drew Tate, than it's Gospel, lol......I stand corrected!

Considering that he played mop up duty as a TR FR, and then he was the QB for 3 years I think he has a little experience with this type of thing. You will have to excuse my simpleton brain when I trust what he says, over the illogic of letting the 3rd string QB play over the 2nd string QB.

Not sure if anyone said it yet (because I don't read overly dramatic posts nor posts over 500 words) but I think Jon Miller probably nailed it (as he usually does) on his immediate reaction podcast: the coaches must absolutely love Stanley. This makes me hopeful, too!

How did Stanley handing off 5 times in mop up duty help us win now? Huh?????? If they would have brought Weigers in, he would have turned it over 5 times and Miami would have came back and won???? Advocate? In mop up duty with the HUGE chance he (Stanley) never plays another down this year, yes, let the 3rd string QB hand it off to the 3rd and 4th string RB's, and if our 2nd string QB never sees the field the rest of the year (which could easily happen) he keeps his year of eligibility. I don't know what you don't understand? If CJ gets hurt, the next best QB should come in, and if that's Stanley, who cares what 'year' he's in, but you don't burn a RS on mop up duty. He sees better defenses in practice than he will see against the Miami of Ohio's, the ISU's, the NDSU's, etc...I don't see how handing off at the end of that game 'helped' HIM any, or helped us win NOW?

Then what is your response to the comments from Drew Tate, who indicated it was worth it in his situation and to him to get mopup duty his freshman year and that it benefited him the next year?

Also, what if our coaches decided they were going to make it a point to get the #2 QB some reps this year so he would be better next year? Then this won't be the only time he comes in this year. Additionally, they may have seen enough of CJ that they don't think he can't go a full year without being banged up enough that he will need some relief this year.

I think fans have to get over it if they are trying to say they have a QB good enough too start four years then he is also probably God enough to demand snaps this year. I will not lose sleep over this or complain about the decision. There are so many people on this board that have complained for years that our coach won't let the best players play. Now they do, and people whine about that, too.

Like the song says, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." I am sure the coaches are good with their decision. And as has been pointed out on other threads, this is a four time B10 COY award winner. It isn't like he hasn't been around the block. I am willing to defer on this without complaining about it.

Then what is your response to the comments from Drew Tate, who indicated it was worth it in his situation and to him to get mopup duty his freshman year and that it benefited him the next year?

Also, what if our coaches decided they were going to make it a point to get the #2 QB some reps this year so he would be better next year? Then this won't be the only time he comes in this year. Additionally, they may have seen enough of CJ that they don't think he can't go a full year without being banged up enough that he will need some relief this year.

I think fans have to get over it if they are trying to say they have a QB good enough too start four years then he is also probably God enough to demand snaps this year. I will not lose sleep over this or complain about the decision. There are so many people on this board that have complained for years that our coach won't let the best players play. Now they do, and people whine about that, too.

Like the song says, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." I am sure the coaches are good with their decision. And as has been pointed out on other threads, this is a four time B10 COY award winner. It isn't like he hasn't been around the block. I am willing to defer on this without complaining about it.
All I can say, is they know more than I do, and apparently have a plan, whether I 'like' it or not.....

Why worry more about the 2020 season over the current season? If you don't understand that you play the best players I don't know what to tell you.

Hopefully Stanley will get more reps VS ISU, NDSU, and Rutgers over the next month. Maybe he can get additional reps vs Purdue, and if Iowa throws an unexpected beat down on another team (ala jNW last year). Tons of chances to get game experience this year.
And if he never sees the field again??? Will you still believe it was 'good' for him to hand off to the 3rd and 4th string RB's in a blow out win and lose his RS???????? Try with all you 'mite', to understand what I'm saying.....And from what I've heard, the coaches really 'battled' with this decision also.......

The point will be moot when Mansell arrives on campus and starts day one!:D
The level of intrigue with the Hawkeye coaching staff is a bit of an unknown. This could be fallout from the CJ "intervention" of 2014 (which is now a proven strategy), this could be a recruiting play to get Mansell (look! we play FR QBs if they are good), they could be trying to light a fire under Wiegers (you must work harder).

Got to agree somewhat w/ BillyBob here - KFer just extended his contract to 2026 so maybe he is looking -way- down the road and wants to not repeat the entire CJ / Jake scenario. Perhaps Wiegers will take the hint and go the way of Cody Sokal... And maybe someone should be asking Greg Davis. I mean how much of "New Kirk" is GD's doing behind the scenes?

And if he never sees the field again??? Will you still believe it was 'good' for him to hand off to the 3rd and 4th string RB's in a blow out win and lose his RS???????? Try with all you 'mite', to understand what I'm saying.....And from what I've heard, the coaches really 'battled' with this decision also.......

I get what you are saying, but aren't you the same guy who rips other posters when they "question" coaching decisions? If the coaches "battled" with the decision, yet still decided to pull his shirt in the very first game, shouldn't that tell you they are "confident" in said decision? They could have put this decision off for weeks if they wanted to, but they didn't, they made a decision, and they are moving forward with it. I suggest you do the same, or I might start cutting and pasting some of your replies to posters when they feel they have enough information on practice and players to question them.

All I can ask is that the coach plays his best players and gives the team the best chance to win. If a freshman is better than a senior then he should start. I think this is a good sign that recruiting has made a step forward. I know I have said that when CJ leaves after his senior season that we will see a huge drop off in the success of the program, however if Stanley is really that good then I will have to re-evaluate my opinions. I am human and I make mistakes and I am not afraid to admit it when I am wrong. I hope I am wrong in a B1G way.

You can still be the #2 QB and redshirt. If CJ doesn't get hurt, Stanley may never see the field again this year, so you used his redshirt to hand the ball off 5 times and throw away one pass? Did that garbage time prepare him in case CJ goes down?
Did it make him less prepared?

There is a real possibility that every game this year is close and CJ takes every single snap going forward. Stanley potentially burned his shirt for a few plays and one pass.

If you think those plays will have a major effect on him without any others then I can see your argument that it was correct.

I respectfully disagree and find it to be pointless.

Either way I hope he's great next season and Go Hawks.

Forget the redshirt, college football is a different game than in 1984, players won't playing time ASAP, Iowa can't be worried about who'll be the QB in 3 years. The objective is to have the very best players available now. So if the very conservative coaching staff feels Stanley is the best option at number 2 as a freshman...I buy that, go for it.

My opinion is that if Stanley is truly better then Wiegers at this point you go with him as your backup regardless of how many years Wiegers has left and burn Stanley's RS. That said, I'm a firm believer that the goal of every program is to get better. A product of getting better is the opportunity to bring in better recruits. Stanley may have a solid career at Iowa ahead of him and bumping up to #2 on the depth chart may mean Wiegers isn't on campus next year, but what I'd like to see is a trend in recruiting in which there is a good chance year in and year out that "the new guy" will be in the mix for finding his way onto the two deeps. I think if we get to that point we'll all be thrilled regardless of who red shirts or is passed up.

There is a real possibility that every game this year is close and CJ takes every single snap going forward. Stanley potentially burned his shirt for a few plays and one pass.

If you think those plays will have a major effect on him without any others then I can see your argument that it was correct.

I respectfully disagree and find it to be pointless.

Either way I hope he's great next season and Go Hawks.

This is how I thought too before cp87 changed my mind. It's easy to just assume Stanley won't see the field again because it's so rare the number 2 sees the field at iowa. But this year iowa is good enough to have more blowouts than the average year. Add in the chances of CJ getting hurt and it's probably a decent chance Stanley gets more playtime. You just as well get him in first opportunity you have. I'm actually impressed Kirk put backups in as early as he did. In years past he has struggled with deciding when a game is out of reach.

Live reps are the real deal. Even him just taking snaps and handing the football off will help him. Cannot be duplicated with practice reps
I would agree with you if they had let him go in and 'rep' with the first team and handing off to Daniels and Wadley. How does running with the 2nd team and handing off to the 3rd and 4th team (Mitchell, Akinribade) RB's prepare him to step in for CJ if he goes down? Different timing etc...I almost always never question the coaches, but I disagree with them on this one, but it's no big deal. They apparently have a plan and I'll trust them......

Latest posts