Stanley is #2?

That is a ridiculous extension of what I wrote. You redshirt people who cannot make your team better in their freshman year. If the player can make your team better, and if they are in the 2-deep the coaches have decided that they can, then you play them now and you don't worry about how things will shake out 4 years down the road.

We are trying to win a B1G championship this year, it is all hands on deck.

It is odd to me the very people who cry that KF doesn't play the best players are now crying that the player who has earned the backup spot at QB shouldn't play????

With KFz's previous stubbornness with unproven QBs, Stanley had to have made an impression to jump someone who has been in the program. I think it's something Iowa fans should be excited about. We could have a legit are talent on our hands with stanley. Of course we thought that about rudock and Christiansen and vandenburg

It is odd to me the very people who cry that KF doesn't play the best players are now crying that the player who has earned the backup spot at QB shouldn't play????

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the decision, but you have to understand the qb position is different.

You redshirt players who are not going to contrube to the current team on the field. You play all players in your two deeps, especially vs teams you have a comfortable led over
You can still be the #2 QB and redshirt. If CJ doesn't get hurt, Stanley may never see the field again this year, so you used his redshirt to hand the ball off 5 times and throw away one pass? Did that garbage time prepare him in case CJ goes down?

Yup. If Stanley is indeed better than Weigers so be it. Let the best players play. Not any more complicated than that.

You can still be the #2 QB and redshirt. If CJ doesn't get hurt, Stanley may never see the field again this year, so you used his redshirt to hand the ball off 5 times and throw away one pass? Did that garbage time prepare him in case CJ goes down?

Listen, you are a smart guy, and you know how practice is run. If Stanley is already ahead of Weigers after just his first fall camp, are the supposed to keep him behind Weigers on the depth chart? If they do, what kind of signal does that send to Stanley or the rest of the team, that if you are a TR FR, and you beat out other players, we will still RS you?

Sometimes it is just cut and dried and easy. The best players should play, and if that means they don't get a RS then so be it. If we want to get these top notch recruits, we can't just be stashing them on the bench when they earn the #2 spots on the depth charts.

Not only that, but listen to the Huddlecast podcast sometime with Drew Tate. He talks about how much it helped him be ready for his So. year by NOT RS his Fr. year. All he did was some very light mop up duty, but he said the practice was so valuable for him, and prepared him so much for his next year.

Yup. If Stanley is indeed better than Weigers so be it. Let the best players play. Not any more complicated than that.

People get all hung up on Redshirting kids, and I don't really get it. The goal is to win the B1G west, and a B1G championship. That means all hands on deck and getting all the players on the 2 deeps ready for the season. If CJ goes down, Stanley is up and has to be ready.

Obviously the coaching staff is setting up for next year, feeling that Stanley is going to win out over Weigers next year. There are things that they feel that Weigers isn't comprehending. Hopefully Stanley turns out to be a good replacement for CJ. Doubt that he will be as good, given that CJ is probably the best QB we have had in many years. But if he is getting into a game as a freshman there is a good chance he is something special.

Listen, you are a smart guy, and you know how practice is run. If Stanley is already ahead of Weigers after just his first fall camp, are the supposed to keep him behind Weigers on the depth chart? If they do, what kind of signal does that send to Stanley or the rest of the team, that if you are a TR FR, and you beat out other players, we will still RS you?

Sometimes it is just cut and dried and easy. The best players should play, and if that means they don't get a RS then so be it. If we want to get these top notch recruits, we can't just be stashing them on the bench when they earn the #2 spots on the depth charts.

Not only that, but listen to the Huddlecast podcast sometime with Drew Tate. He talks about how much it helped him be ready for his So. year by NOT RS his Fr. year. All he did was some very light mop up duty, but he said the practice was so valuable for him, and prepared him so much for his next year.
I think you missed my point. He can still be listed at the #2 and take all the reps with the ones and twos and still not lose his RS. You do understand he may never get in another game this year? I don't think you have to 'declare' someone a RS before the year starts, do you? I thought it was if you didn't participate in any games during the year, you declared as a RS. We've all seen freshmen get into games in the middle of the year for different reasons and hear it announced that 'off comes the RS'. Ruduck was the #2 in 2012 and never took a single snap, remember? But running with the ones and twos prepared him for the 2013 season.

I would assume they talked to Stanley about it first and he must have wanted to play. It is too bad tho because knowing how Iowa plays close games, they're is at least a 50% chance he won't see the field again barring an injury to CJ.

I think you missed my point. He can still be listed at the #2 and take all the reps with the ones and twos and still not lose his RS. You do understand he may never get in another game this year? I don't think you have to 'declare' someone a RS before the year starts, do you? I thought it was if you didn't participate in any games during the year, you declared as a RS. We've all seen freshmen get into games in the middle of the year for different reasons and hear it announced that 'off comes the RS'. Ruduck was the #2 in 2012 and never took a single snap, remember? But running with the ones and twos prepared him for the 2013 season.

So you advocate playing a 3rd team guy over a 2nd team guy just to Lee his RS? I think you coached, so just curious what team dynamics that would create playing your 3rd teamer over your 2nd team backup?

Plus why would you worry about 5 years from now, over now? The goal is to win now. The goal is to be consistency, and if you are the 2nd best player at your position than you are the first guy in off the bench.

Way to much hand wringing about this, I could care less about our QB situation 5 years from now.

So you advocate playing a 3rd team guy over a 2nd team guy just to Lee his RS? I think you coached, so just curious what team dynamics that would create playing your 3rd teamer over your 2nd team backup?

Plus why would you worry about 5 years from now, over now? The goal is to win now. The goal is to be consistency, and if you are the 2nd best player at your position than you are the first guy in off the bench.

Way to much hand wringing about this, I could care less about our QB situation 5 years from now.

Are you suggesting it would hurt team moral to play your 3rd string QB in mop up because the coach and the 2nd string QB decide it's best to red shirt unless there is an injury?

Are you suggesting it would hurt team moral to play your 3rd string QB in mop up because the coach and the 2nd string QB decide it's best to red shirt unless there is an injury?

I don't know about morale, but it would just be awkward. What happens when Iowa is up on ISU by 28 early in the second half? Are you going to tell this guy who you have told is #2 that he doesn't get to step on the field for a whole quarter worth of mop-up because you are worried about who is going to be the QB in 4 years? And then when CJ gets injured vs. Wisconsin you tell him to go in and take his first live-game snap and go win that sucker for us?

This coaches' concern is strengthening the QB position this year and next. Perhaps that leads to a weakening of the position 4 years down the road, but who knows? Maybe Stanley is so good that if he redshirts he would be an early entry and wouldn't be available 4 years down the road anyway? Perhaps, heaven forbid, he has an injury and is not available in the future? Perhaps by the time we get to that 4th year we have another QB waiting in the wings who is every bit as good? But to not give your #2 QB any live snaps when you have the opportunity to do so because you are worried about 4 years down the road seems a bit silly.

This has not been discussed much, but I am sure the coaches really wanted to burn this redshirt up in game 1. The further you go into the season, the more flak they would receive for burning it up. But now that they got it out of the way, they can just go forward like a normal team without having to dance around the "should we or shouldn't we" question.

And I should add, if the coach and QB decided that a redshirt is best, then he would not be #2 on the depth chart. Those two circumstances are not compatible, so it is a pure hypothetical to consider.

How did Stanley handing off 5 times in mop up duty help us win now? Huh?????? If they would have brought Weigers in, he would have turned it over 5 times and Miami would have came back and won???? Advocate? In mop up duty with the HUGE chance he (Stanley) never plays another down this year, yes, let the 3rd string QB hand it off to the 3rd and 4th string RB's, and if our 2nd string QB never sees the field the rest of the year (which could easily happen) he keeps his year of eligibility. I don't know what you don't understand? If CJ gets hurt, the next best QB should come in, and if that's Stanley, who cares what 'year' he's in, but you don't burn a RS on mop up duty. He sees better defenses in practice than he will see against the Miami of Ohio's, the ISU's, the NDSU's, etc...I don't see how handing off at the end of that game 'helped' HIM any, or helped us win NOW?

How did Stanley handing off 5 times in mop up duty help us win now? Huh?????? If they would have brought Weigers in, he would have turned it over 5 times and Miami would have came back and won???? Advocate? In mop up duty with the HUGE chance he (Stanley) never plays another down this year, yes, let the 3rd string QB hand it off to the 3rd and 4th string RB's, and if our 2nd string QB never sees the field the rest of the year (which could easily happen) he keeps his year of eligibility. I don't know what you don't understand? If CJ gets hurt, the next best QB should come in, and if that's Stanley, who cares what 'year' he's in, but you don't burn a RS on mop up duty. He sees better defenses in practice than he will see against the Miami of Ohio's, the ISU's, the NDSU's, etc...I don't see how handing off at the end of that game 'helped' HIM any, or helped us win NOW?

Why worry more about the 2020 season over the current season? If you don't understand that you play the best players I don't know what to tell you.

Hopefully Stanley will get more reps VS ISU, NDSU, and Rutgers over the next month. Maybe he can get additional reps vs Purdue, and if Iowa throws an unexpected beat down on another team (ala jNW last year). Tons of chances to get game experience this year.

You don't think taking live snaps, even in mop-up duty, has a benefit in case he gets thrust into action down the road?

Yes it was only 5 snaps this game. But had you given those 5 snaps to Wiegers last Saturday, it would get much more difficult to then insert Stanley in mop up vs. ISU. And if you pass on the ISU mop up, then it gets even more difficult to get him into mop up vs. NDSU. So now you have passed up the opportunity for him to significant live-game action because you are worried about the QB position 4 years down the road.

You argue that he might not get another snap this year. I argue that he might. Why pass up those opportunities for growth?

I'm 100% in Ickehawks corner on this... I think if all the other circumstances were the same and KF was in his 6th yr or 10th yr he wouldn't have yanked Stanleys RS like that... But because it's his 18th he's not even remotely looking 3 or 4 yrs down the road he's coaching for now. (New Kirk) So I think that is the why as much as anything. But I don't think it's necessarily the right move for the program. Totally agree that letting Stanley mostly hand off in garbage time does next to nothing for him. Especially when he's doing that with the 2nd team and not the 1st even.
If CJ were to have to miss serious time then you have a decision to make. But if Wiegers isn’t capable of handing the ball off in garbage time after 3 yrs in the program then we have bigger problems on our hands.. I would think the smarter play would have been to wait and not use Stanley unless there were meaningful snaps to be had. Now that said what we all don’t know for sure is just how big of a gap is there between him and Wiegers/Cook. I mean if it’s considerable and it’s a no brainer then it is what it is. But if it’s close like JR and CJ was for a couple yrs there then it’s kinda interesting to see the shift in KFs way of thinking. Because he’d have went with Wiegers every time in the past… I just hope it’s because Stanley is really good and the real deal. Not because Wiegers isn’t very good and they are close…

Latest posts