Stability...

The trouble with KF is that he has been here so long he is competing against himself. Fans always want more and some fans get the sense that the program is stagnant simply because its not 2002 or 2015 every year. If you take out the first couple seasons where the cupboard was damn bare when he arrived, he wins 8+ games a year, and for the last 6 seasons, its closer to 9. That is a pretty salty accomplishment for a school with good but not great tradition, and from a small midwestern state with two Power 5 schools located in it. KF's record is really damn good.

Also, recall that Hayden Fry, who holds God-like status in this state for good reasons, had 7 of his 20 seasons where he was .500 or below. KF's record is better than HF's in almost every measurable respect, and what Fry did was pretty amazing too.

I have said it on this board over and over again. Appreciate what we have. Grasping to move up to that next step can cause you to tumble back down the stairs in a damn fucking hurry. How you doing, Nebraska?

Equilibrium.
Not bad enough to be fired.
Not good enough to move on to an elite program.
This has more to do with factors outside of a HC’s control than the opposite. Bill Belichick and Nick Saban could take on Navy, Vanderbilt, or Purdue as a joint retirement project and they aren’t going to be able to create the next Bama or Ohio State.

Now if Kirk had accepted the Michigan job when they wanted him, so long as he survived the two or three years of initial tumult I believe wholeheartedly he would have built a perennial double digit win team. He’s damn near done that at Iowa for fucks sake, but Nebraska, Iowa, and the like have to realize where their ceiling lies over any long period of time, and it’s not “elite” in any exclusive sense.

Teams like ours can go the low variance Iowa/Wisconsin approach or the high variance Purdue/Minnesota approach. We don’t have the luxury of acting like Ohio State.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I would say complacency is an issue. A successful high major head coach can not be complacent and win games at the same time. This narrative came in the 5 years from 2010-2014 when we won 8, 7, 4, 8, 7 ( 6.8 wpy) and stuck around through the next 7 years ('15-'21) where we won 12, 8, 8, 9, 10, 6 (covid), and 10 (9.4* wpy). With 6.8 wpy, thinking complacency is an issue is understandable. 9.4? I don't see it. Since 2015, Iowa has the 9th most wins amongst P5 schools.

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Georgia
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
Oklahoma State
Iowa

If you told me that we're going to win 9.4 games per year in the next 6 years, 10th most in P5, sign me up.

*6-2 in covid year has the same winning percentage as 9-3, which is what I used to get 9.4.

That understates the 2020 team because we would have crushed Michigan and Missouri if they weren't too chickenshit to play us.

This has more to do with factors outside of a HC’s control than the opposite. Bill Belichick and Nick Saban could take on Navy, Vanderbilt, or Purdue as a joint retirement project and they aren’t going to be able to create the next Bama or Ohio State.

Now if Kirk had accepted the Michigan job when they wanted him, so long as he survived the two or three years of initial tumult I believe wholeheartedly he would have built a perennial double digit win team. He’s damn near done that at Iowa for fucks sake, but Nebraska, Iowa, and the like have to realize where their ceiling lies over any long period of time, and it’s not “elite” in any exclusive sense.

Teams like ours can go the low variance Iowa/Wisconsin approach or the high variance Purdue/Minnesota approach. We don’t have the luxury of acting like Ohio State.

Nick had quietly amassed a pretty damned impressive team at Michigan State. He walked into a tire fire situation and by the end had Plaxico and TJ Duckett and beat Michigan and Ohio in his final year, which was only marred by losses to Drew Brees and Ron Dayne, two of the greatest Big Ten players ever. I don't think he could do much with Navy or Vanderbilt, but if he rolled into some mid tier team he could probably work one more miracle. He's getting pretty old, though.

Nick had quietly amassed a pretty damned impressive team at Michigan State. He walked into a tire fire situation and by the end had Plaxico and TJ Duckett and beat Michigan and Ohio in his final year, which was only marred by losses to Drew Brees and Ron Dayne, two of the greatest Big Ten players ever. I don't think he could do much with Navy or Vanderbilt, but if he rolled into some mid tier team he could probably work one more miracle. He's getting pretty old, though.
I have my doubts. Compare Saban at MSU for five seasons to Kirk’s first five or six at Iowa. Which is more impressive? Both walked into remarkably similar situations. If Saban stayed, maybe he does turn that one good season into some sustained success, but then it may just as well have been an outlier.

I have my doubts. Compare Saban at MSU for five seasons to Kirk’s first five or six at Iowa. Which is more impressive? Both walked into remarkably similar situations. If Saban stayed, maybe he does turn that one good season into some sustained success, but then it may just as well have been an outlier.

Meh, the man brought in Dantonio. Dantonio then went on to be the DC at Ohio the year they won the natty, then he had a stint at Cincinnati and went back to MSU as the head man. Dantonio won the conference 3 freaking times. Saban worked a miracle there.

The Steelers only having 3 coaches in the last 53 years gets a little more run, but Iowa having 2 guys the last 44 years is right there. As a Steeler and Hawkeye fan, you have your frustrations, but you realize stability trumps all of it. It prevents you from being the Browns or the Illini.

I am both a Steelers and a Hawkeye fan. The answer must be the style and colors of the jerseys! That alone could really add to a story or segment on this. Tie in the NFL Steelers, Iowa Hawkeyes and how Hayden Fry seeked permission to copy the uniform. Then both teams end up with a couple coaches each in 45 years.

Equilibrium.
Not bad enough to be fired.
Not good enough to move on to an elite program.

This has been the funny thing with Ferentz. He's always had this kick ass season every 4-5 years, with some mediocre seasons in between. He's always been quite consistent and usually fields a competitive team. What I mean by that is opposing teams realize that Iowa is a tough out and they are not a sure win on the schedule prior to a season starting.

Yes, Iowa admin has a pretty long leash with coaches as they realize Iowa is a developmental program, so that stability has helped for a team like Iowa.

Again, Ferentz pulls an outstanding season out of the hat every 5 years which kind of reboots anybody who may have been questioning the program. The yo yo over the years has been kind of funny.

Some teams would have pulled the trigger for a new coach. Many of those teams have had 7 coaches over that span and still haven't found consistency. See Nebraska. That isn't good either.

I'm generally a big Kirk fan. The only issue with that kind of longevity (which can also include the AD or top jobs in the administration) is that it can lead to an insular climate. I think it is typically a good idea to have some eventual turnover in leadership positions to ensure healthy checks and balances. That didn't happen at Penn State, and I think Iowa has faced issues because of it too.

I'm curious to see how the 40 plus years of stability impacts the next coaching transition.

Another good comparison is Saint Louis Cardnials managers. Except for a brief period of instability in the late 70's they went a half century with four managers. Red Schoendienst, Whitey Herzog, Joe Torre, Tony Larussa. They won world series championships with three of the four.

The Cubs by comparison probably churned through fifteen or twenty managers during that same time frame.

The last time Iowa had someone other than Kirk or Hayden as their head coach ESPN hadn't been created yet and U2 wasn't a band yet. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson had yet to play in the NBA and Tiger Woods was a toddler.

Whitey Herzog managed the first MLB game I ever went to. They played Philadelphia in St. Louis. Ozzy was at short and did his patented back flip during the game.

I'm not sure I would say complacency is an issue. A successful high major head coach can not be complacent and win games at the same time. This narrative came in the 5 years from 2010-2014 when we won 8, 7, 4, 8, 7 ( 6.8 wpy) and stuck around through the next 7 years ('15-'21) where we won 12, 8, 8, 9, 10, 6 (covid), and 10 (9.4* wpy). With 6.8 wpy, thinking complacency is an issue is understandable. 9.4? I don't see it. Since 2015, Iowa has the 9th most wins amongst P5 schools.

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Georgia
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
Oklahoma State
Iowa

If you told me that we're going to win 9.4 games per year in the next 6 years, 10th most in P5, sign me up.

*6-2 in covid year has the same winning percentage as 9-3, which is what I used to get 9.4.

Da ya goober. The complacency is referring to the Iowa administration or fans. The leash Iowa gives.

What ever Iowa needs to pay a guy who can make Iowa a football factory by generating wins and NFL talent. I say we pay that guy whatever we can to sustain that as long as possible. If there was only a guy out there that could do that... oh wait. Yeah, the last 2 guys we've had. We are spoiled but aint it great? We have a guy who has turned Iowa football into a machine, a brand that is in the elite company with the best 20 to 25 programs in the game. Why wouldn't we want more of this? Who doesn't want more of that? I do - please sign me up for as many years of Kirk Ferentz as he will allow me, as an Iowa fan to enjoy.

The trouble with KF is that he has been here so long he is competing against himself. Fans always want more and some fans get the sense that the program is stagnant simply because its not 2002 or 2015 every year. If you take out the first couple seasons where the cupboard was damn bare when he arrived, he wins 8+ games a year, and for the last 6 seasons, its closer to 9. That is a pretty salty accomplishment for a school with good but not great tradition, and from a small midwestern state with two Power 5 schools located in it. KF's record is really damn good.

Also, recall that Hayden Fry, who holds God-like status in this state for good reasons, had 7 of his 20 seasons where he was .500 or below. KF's record is better than HF's in almost every measurable respect, and what Fry did was pretty amazing too.

I have said it on this board over and over again. Appreciate what we have. Grasping to move up to that next step can cause you to tumble back down the stairs in a damn fucking hurry. How you doing, Nebraska?

Damn good post.

Dan McCarney coached himself out of Ames for the very same reason you stated above. He was good for their program.

The rest of what you state is a good reminder to appreciate what we have and having the 9th most wins compared to the other teams on the list is damn impressive. We don't want to end up yo yo'ing with coaches. That is death to a program like Iowa. Chasing coaches is not usually good.

See Nebraska...........again!

The great Nick Saban was at Michigan State for a cup of tea. I remember Kirk Ferentz beating his Mich St. team, at least once. This supports your point above.

I'm generally a big Kirk fan. The only issue with that kind of longevity (which can also include the AD or top jobs in the administration) is that it can lead to an insular climate. I think it is typically a good idea to have some eventual turnover in leadership positions to ensure healthy checks and balances. That didn't happen at Penn State, and I think Iowa has faced issues because of it too.

I'm curious to see how the 40 plus years of stability impacts the next coaching transition.

This is a good point. The game evolves. Can a coach being there for 25+ years evolve with the changes.

Add into that the portal system and NIL now. Administration might now have to put emphasis on completely different attributes of a coach for various reasons as evolution occurs.

Great point!

Also, it is security or complacency? Two very different things.
I would say that there were a couple of times where some programs would have considered making a change that Iowa didn't. KF built up so much good will with those 3 straight top 10 seasons that when we hit that dip in 06-07 that was going to be overlooked.

But when 2011/2012 happened that was a bit of a crossroads coming off Rhabado and all that. Many an AD coulda pulled the plug on things after that yr. So between that and going 4-8 and Greg Davis if a change woulda been made it wouldn't/shouldn't have been the most surprising thing ever.

But like Fry has said I think continuity/Stability won out and that's what got him through that. Granted we haven't had a 4-8 yr since either and somehow throwing Doyle under the bus was enough to get out from under all that racial stuff. If anymore 4-8 yrs had popped up though things coulda been different...

The great Nick Saban was at Michigan State for a cup of tea. I remember Kirk Ferentz beating his Mich St. team, at least once. This supports your point above.

Never happened. Nick beat Iowa 49-3 in Kurt's inaugural season. Nick then left for LSU after that season. Kurt did get the best of Nick once during his tenure at LSU. You probably didn't see the game, but it was the most masterful thing I've ever seen. O'Keefe got us out to a big lead, Nick gouged Norm's defense and they took the lead late. Then, as the clock was winding down, O'Keefe dialed up a touchdown pass from Drew Tate to Warren Holloway that was put on the board as time expired.

Kurt's 1-1 record against Nick is I believe up there with the best among active coaches. Dabo, Hugh Freeze and Jimbo are the only active coaches with multiple wins against Nick. Even Kirby has only bested Nick once. If Ferentz finishes with a .500 career record against Nick that will be a damned big accomplishment.

Latest posts