Stability...

I included Alvarez all three different times he was HC. It’s valid because we’re talking about program stability, and each time Alvarez came back out of the woodwork it was because something was fucky.

How the heck has Purdue had that many coaches in that time frame? I came up during the Tiller era so it doesn't seem like they had 10 coaches in 43 years.

It really is amazing when you think about it. I was always going to look at this nationally since when Hayden started. Iowa has to be ranked #1. I also never really understood why the Big 10 Network or ESPN have never showcased this or made a segment out of this story. It's unreal in this day in age.

How the heck has Purdue had that many coaches in that time frame? I came up during the Tiller era so it doesn't seem like they had 10 coaches in 43 years.
Jim Young
Leon Burnett
Fred Akers
Jim Colleto
Joe Tiller
Danny Hope
Patrick Higgins
Darrell Hazell
Gerad Parker
Jeff Brohm

It really is amazing when you think about it. I was always going to look at this nationally since when Hayden started. Iowa has to be ranked #1. I also never really understood why the Big 10 Network or ESPN have never showcased this or made a segment out of this story. It's unreal in this day in age.

The Steelers only having 3 coaches in the last 53 years gets a little more run, but Iowa having 2 guys the last 44 years is right there. As a Steeler and Hawkeye fan, you have your frustrations, but you realize stability trumps all of it. It prevents you from being the Browns or the Illini.

Only Nebby has more program consistency bince they've had consecutive sellouts going back to before Moses was born.

Last edited:
Jim Young
Leon Burnett
Fred Akers
Jim Colleto
Joe Tiller
Danny Hope
Patrick Higgins
Darrell Hazell
Gerad Parker
Jeff Brohm
If you're my age, you may remember that, like Michigan basketball coach Bill Frieder, Leon Burtnett went out of his way to take shots at Hayden and Iowa at every opportunity. The fans, the players, the program, everything.

In 1984 Iowa went into West Lafayette and obliterated a Burtnett coached Purdue team. Leon afterward said he was unimpressed, saying it was his own team's mistakes and blown coverages that caused the defeat (Iowa was in the midst of a run at time where they would go a month without allowing a touchdown).

He went anti Iowa again in 1985 and 86, saying Iowa's #1 ranking was a mirage and that their kicking game sucked (Iowa beat #2 Michigan that year in the legendary game where the kicking game provided all their points) And Iowa whipped Purdue so bad in 1986 that their version or Rudy (fifth year senior defensive back Willie Bishop) was able to get into the game)

Leon, who passed away fairly recently, may have been a Texas native and may have had a history with Hayden. I think he was also a Fred Akers disciple (Akers would succeed Burtnett at Purdue in the late 80's) and Iowa absolutely shredded an Akers coached Texas team in the Freedom Bowl one year. In any case when Purdue came to Iowa in 1986 I remember taking out a sharpie and writing the following on my bota

Burtnett's
Obviously a
Total
Asshole

The Steelers only having 3 coaches in the last 53 years gets a little more run, but Iowa having 2 guys the last 44 years is right there. As a Steeler and Hawkeye fan, you have your frustrations, but you realize stability trumps all of it. It prevents you from being the Browns or the Illini.
Another good comparison is Saint Louis Cardnials managers. Except for a brief period of instability in the late 70's they went a half century with four managers. Red Schoendienst, Whitey Herzog, Joe Torre, Tony Larussa. They won world series championships with three of the four.

The Cubs by comparison probably churned through fifteen or twenty managers during that same time frame.

The last time Iowa had someone other than Kirk or Hayden as their head coach ESPN hadn't been created yet and U2 wasn't a band yet. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson had yet to play in the NBA and Tiger Woods was a toddler.

I know the Browns moved, but how giant of a kick in the nuts was it to have Belichick, Saban and Ferentz all on your staff and your ownership fired Belichick?

This is a big reason why Iowa is competitive year in and year out. How many coaches have the Clowns blown through during that time?

Also, it is security or complacency? Two very different things.
I believe there has been complacency during kirk’s tenure and the complacency was followed by not so great seasons. It can happen to all of us in whatever profession we’re in. What’s made kirk & his staff so impressive is that they’ve found a way to make small adjustments and bounce back every time.

I'm not sure I would say complacency is an issue. A successful high major head coach can not be complacent and win games at the same time. This narrative came in the 5 years from 2010-2014 when we won 8, 7, 4, 8, 7 ( 6.8 wpy) and stuck around through the next 7 years ('15-'21) where we won 12, 8, 8, 9, 10, 6 (covid), and 10 (9.4* wpy). With 6.8 wpy, thinking complacency is an issue is understandable. 9.4? I don't see it. Since 2015, Iowa has the 9th most wins amongst P5 schools.

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Georgia
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
Oklahoma State
Iowa

If you told me that we're going to win 9.4 games per year in the next 6 years, 10th most in P5, sign me up.

*6-2 in covid year has the same winning percentage as 9-3, which is what I used to get 9.4.

Latest posts