Spievey

Question regarding Spievey during one of his few not-so-great moments this season, and also directly related to his draft stock:

On the first play of the game where he got torched by Powell against PSU, did anyone expect to see maybe a little more speed in running Powell down from behind? Or even start gaining on him as they approached the end zone? I didn't really see either happening...

I guess what I'm getting at is that it doesn't seem that Spievey might have the best top-end, straight line speed, but his hip swivel and quickness make up for that. Plus he's really heady and like most Iowa CB's, he tackles like a safety.

But I'm interested in hearing you guys' takes on that PSU play...

Spievey (along with Sash) bit on the play-action and froze for just a split second, which was more than long enough for Powell to get clear of both of them. When Powell caught it, he was at least 5 yards in front of Amari.

When you think about it, it was a great call on Penn State's part.

I think Amari comes back for his SR. year. And all the other players that can, will be back as well. This includes Dace and Tony. How special would next years team be if this happens ?

Question regarding Spievey during one of his few not-so-great moments this season, and also directly related to his draft stock:

On the first play of the game where he got torched by Powell against PSU, did anyone expect to see maybe a little more speed in running Powell down from behind? Or even start gaining on him as they approached the end zone? I didn't really see either happening...

I guess what I'm getting at is that it doesn't seem that Spievey might have the best top-end, straight line speed, but his hip swivel and quickness make up for that. Plus he's really heady and like most Iowa CB's, he tackles like a safety.

But I'm interested in hearing you guys' takes on that PSU play...

That play did get noticed by scouts.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouts-notebook-defensive-review-3361.html
"Iowa CB Amari Spievey is a physical kid who showcases good lateral quickness and power when asked to press receivers, and he did a great job disrupting the timing of the Penn State pass game. However, the big concern I have with Spievey is his lack of legit NFL speed. Watching him get absolutely outpaced down the field by Penn State wideout Chaz Powell for 79-yard touchdown was an eye-opener. I love Spievey’s physicality, ball skills and body control in coverage, but in order to play on the outside in the NFL, you have to be able to run, and I don’t know if he has that type of speed."

I like pretty much everything about Spievey as a CB except his straight line speed. He usually is physical and aware enough to not get taken advantage of like that but I'm guessing some NFL teams will look at him more as a FS unless he surprises everyone with a blazing 40. On a side note I was quite impressed with how quickly Prater was closing on Powell on that play. There was not a great camera angle of it but he was moving!

That play did get noticed by scouts.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouts-notebook-defensive-review-3361.html
"Iowa CB Amari Spievey is a physical kid who showcases good lateral quickness and power when asked to press receivers, and he did a great job disrupting the timing of the Penn State pass game. However, the big concern I have with Spievey is his lack of legit NFL speed. Watching him get absolutely outpaced down the field by Penn State wideout Chaz Powell for 79-yard touchdown was an eye-opener. I love Spievey’s physicality, ball skills and body control in coverage, but in order to play on the outside in the NFL, you have to be able to run, and I don’t know if he has that type of speed."

I like pretty much everything about Spievey as a CB except his straight line speed. He usually is physical and aware enough to not get taken advantage of like that but I'm guessing some NFL teams will look at him more as a FS unless he surprises everyone with a blazing 40. On a side note I was quite impressed with how quickly Prater was closing on Powell on that play. There was not a great camera angle of it but he was moving!

If he goes I would love to see him on my Packers. They love physical corners Charles Woodson and Al Harris are two of the most physical in the league. Harris doesn't have elite speed, but his physicality keeps him from getting beat too much.

According to KF, Spievey was supposed to have safety help over the top on PSU's touchdown. He released Powell to a safety and was beat by the time he realized the safety wasn't there. KF didn't say which safety blew the coverage, something KF never would say. Watching the replay, Sash lined up about 8 yards off the LOS and Greenwood was roughly 12-14. I'm guessing Greenwood had deep coverage that play.

I would have thought NFL scouts would recognize a blown coverage and see Spievey wasn't running at full speed until Powell had over 10 yards on him.

I hope comes back. Think how deep and good the secondary could be with all four starters returning and Bernstine getting healthy.

I would have thought NFL scouts would recognize a blown coverage and see Spievey wasn't running at full speed until Powell had over 10 yards on him.

It was from that point on that I was worried about. I understand if he was expecting help and didn't get it, but once Powell caught the ball (and actually anytime after Spievey realized he was beaten) Spievey didn't really gain any ground as I expected.

Latest posts