Spievey

I think he and Clayborn come back. Both could still raise their stock.

+1
I think they're both roughly third round picks currently. Even if there is a rookie salary cap/scale I think it would affect first round picks far more.
But then I expect Bulaga back if he isn't a top 10 or at least top 15 pick.

The more exposure Iowa gets as a team, the more he'll get as a corner. If Iowa takes care of business the next few weeks, and then has a good performance in a bowl game, he might opt for the money on Sundays if he gets enough people in his ear as to his draft status. Hopefully he'll follow in Godfrey and Fletcher's footsteps and be a defensive stalwart (and leader) as a senior!

I think, to some extent, that it depends on how the Hawks finish this year. If it looks like there is unfinished business and the only players who are moving on are Dace, Calloway, Eubanks, Angerer, and Edds, he might stay around to finish the job. If the Hawks finish a magical season and win a BCS game and Clayborn and Bulaga look to be leaving, then he might look to move on.

Question regarding Spievey during one of his few not-so-great moments this season, and also directly related to his draft stock:

On the first play of the game where he got torched by Powell against PSU, did anyone expect to see maybe a little more speed in running Powell down from behind? Or even start gaining on him as they approached the end zone? I didn't really see either happening...

I guess what I'm getting at is that it doesn't seem that Spievey might have the best top-end, straight line speed, but his hip swivel and quickness make up for that. Plus he's really heady and like most Iowa CB's, he tackles like a safety.

But I'm interested in hearing you guys' takes on that PSU play...

The PSU guy was not a slowpoke so I didnt expect Spievey to catch him from behind. He bit on the play action and got beat, simple as that.

I believe he did catch the AZ player and save a TD so that shows speed when he has an angle.

The PSU guy was not a slowpoke so I didnt expect Spievey to catch him from behind. He bit on the play action and got beat, simple as that.

That was one thing, SLarew, that I didn't know. I don't know if Powell is a "speed" guy or not...but I have to disagree that he bit on the pump fake. He was in man coverage all the way and wasn't even looking at the pump fake. I'd have to watch it again to say that with 100% certainty, but I think he just got a little off-balance and Powell made him pay.

Not sure either of them go Pro after this year. They both could increase the value of their stock by staying. Their is always the risk of injury, insert Bradfords name here, but I don't think coming out early helps them with a long NFL career. If they want the quick cash then by all means go pro. If they want to make themselves upper eschelon players at the next level then they need to stay and work on their game.

That was one thing, SLarew, that I didn't know. I don't know if Powell is a "speed" guy or not...but I have to disagree that he bit on the pump fake. He was in man coverage all the way and wasn't even looking at the pump fake. I'd have to watch it again to say that with 100% certainty, but I think he just got a little off-balance and Powell made him pay.

I saw the replay and I think you're right he didn't really get caught looking in the backfield. I actually think he thought he would have help over the top from Sash or Greenwood, but they were caught looking in the backfield.

I think, to some extent, that it depends on how the Hawks finish this year. If it looks like there is unfinished business and the only players who are moving on are Dace, Calloway, Eubanks, Angerer, and Edds, he might stay around to finish the job. If the Hawks finish a magical season and win a BCS game and Clayborn and Bulaga look to be leaving, then he might look to move on.

I think we're going to have a great team next yr but for the record those are some big
"onlys" !!!

My preference would be to see him stay at Iowa, but you can't blame a kid for going pro if there is a team willing to draft him.

Latest posts