Spearman?

I can post the Instagram picture he posted late last night. It was him talking about people he loves (friends and family) dying and financial trouble.

He also added that football is not helping. If it's a real issue a red shirt might be in store.

And people need to remember the kid isn't even 18 yet and is about to start his sophomore year of college.

I still can't believe KF played him last season.

Most of us acted on emotion when we were 18. It takes a support system to make rational decisions at that age. I think it would be wise to talk to Kirk Ferentz about this. I think he would advise him what is best for Reggie and not the team. Age does not guarantee wisdom. If your not sure about that look at the reactions from posters on this forum who are all ages. Some good, some questionable.

How can anyone respond to an 18 year old kid posting comments like this with anything but profound sadness? When you were 18, were you dealing with these kinds of issues or thoughts?

Time for teammates to band together...and help this kid out emotionally. Best thing he can do for his family is stay the course and get an education and possibly a shot at a career in the NFL. You are at the right school for that, but it's a tough road...and I won't pretend it's an easy path. It's easy to throw out a bunch of clique, but sometimes the battle seems overwhelming, but the man it makes you makes the pain worthwhile.

This just solidifies my thinking that Spearman will be NFL bound after next year if he performs well the next 2 years. NFL GM's would drool over a kid who will be 19 when he gets to training camp and has started 2 years at Iowa.

The kid obviously has a very tough family situation, hopefully he can stick it out.

After thinking about this situation a bit more, I am wondering if Spearman's best option might not be to hit the weights and build into a DE/ or 3/4 OLB. He seems to have the frame and skill set to succeed as an edge rusher and it is a position of high need at the next level.

With Jewel as more of a true LB type, it could give Spearman a chance to dial back a bit this year, while adding some size. Of course CFB could fix the rules and make it a bit easier on the kid too.

There is no doubt that Spearman will end up with one hand on the ground by the time he's done. He's 18 years old and is 233 and has only spent a year in the Iowa program. He will be 255 next year. He could play the middle, but I'm thinking he would be a scary DE at 265 when he's a senior. Big, fast, and athletic.

There is no doubt that Spearman will end up with one hand on the ground by the time he's done. He's 18 years old and is 233 and has only spent a year in the Iowa program. He will be 255 next year. He could play the middle, but I'm thinking he would be a scary DE at 265 when he's a senior. Big, fast, and athletic.

Since he plays lb there is probably some doubt...

There's quite a few FR & SO that are practicing with the second team DL (Ekakitie, Johnson, Bazata, & Nelson). So if he's going to move to DE, he better do it quick. Those guys will still be there when Spearman is a SR and will have a few years experience over him.

Personally I hope Iowa RS Nelson and turns him loose in 2015 but he might be too big and athletic to keep off the field this fall. IMO, he's Iowa's next great DE.

In today's game, you really almost need two complete DL's. That way every 8 plays or so, you have someone lay on the ground so you have time to sub the whole unit.

Also, most the young guys are DT types.

i have it on good authority that were not all grownups here.
:cool:
The most factual comment I've ever seen on the internet.
Where there's smoke there's usually fire with stuff like this. Maybe Ferentz has the right fire extinguisher to put it out and this kid will stick it out here. I can't see any where else being a better environment for him other then leaving school all together. I don't know I've yet to be in the head of anyone else mine is hard enough to figure out. But I hope for the teams sake he don't leave. The timing alone would be devastating.

Since he plays lb there is probably some doubt...

Since Iowa is thin at DE that might be good if he moves. Since Iowa is thin at LB, it might be bad. In any case, he might not get a whole lot bigger as he seemed rather mature when he arrived (despite his age). It will be interesting to see if he’s fast enough to play LB for us.

In today's game, you really almost need two complete DL's. That way every 8 plays or so, you have someone lay on the ground so you have time to sub the whole unit.

Also, most the young guys are DT types.

Soooo, the D'antonio strategy.

Latest posts