Soup is gone....

I heard a few weeks back the Soup was leaving, looks to finally be confirmed.

The question I have is: Why didn't Ferentz come out and make a statement that this was what was occurring instead of everyone finding out from a potential recruit? Could this lead to further negative recruiting tactics against Iowa?

This Soap Opera in IC just keeps getting better, can't wait to see what else is in store for the rest of the offseason.

Why is this a good move? Because B. Ferentz coached TEs at New England? Who is going to replace him at OL? If Morgan moves back to OL, who will replace HIM at DL?

I don't see this as a good move. I see it as a typical Ferentz BAU move. Nothing more.

I think it is to early to really know if Brian to WR is a good move or not. Really depends on who gets hired to fill the OL position. If it is Morgan, then depends on who replaces him at DL. If we get the right coach to fill the vacancy this could be a good move, if not the right coach then a bad move.

If BF is indeed the best recruiter, and we all we know we need to upgrade WR position, this may be a good move down the road in terms of getting the talent needed.

If we do end up with a new OL coach I would like to see Aj Blazek get a shot at it.

FWIW AJ was on sideline talking with a lot of players and coaches during NE game. I understand a lot of former players do this ... maybe there is a chance.

I really don't think this is a huge deal. And neither so the former players i have chatted with about this the past four weeks or longer. Will write more tonight.

I am wondering why this hasn't been thrown out there yet...the b ferentz coaching progression:
1) start as lowly coffee gopher at new england (not sure his actual position before being promoted)
2) upgraded to te coach at new england
3) ol coach at iowa (1 yr)
4) wr coach at iowa (1 yr)
5) rb coach at iowa (1 yr)
6) qb coach at iowa (2 yrs takes more time to learn)
7) oc at iowa (had to get acclimated to all the offensive positions 1st - 2 yrs)
8) oc and hc in waiting at iowa (2 yrs I think that would take him until kf's contract is up if I counted correctly)
9) head coach at iowa (lifetime contract)

not sure if it has been mentioned, but other possible coaching moves include Morgan back to Oline & with the Arizona Cardinals clearing house, possible pursuit of Ron Aiken again? I doubt it, though cuz i'm sure he will want a position that could lead to being a coordinator.

I just love the re-writing of history that happens after a coach is dismissed/leaves. Coming from Michigan, he was highly thought of-Lloyd Carr loved him and people suggested that Lloyd and Kirk's friendship resulted in his hiring at Iowa. Oh yeah, and there was that issue of all the success that he had at Michigan both with recruiting and getting performance...now, it's no big deal. His WRs at Iowa underperformed (despite the records set in two consecutive years), he won't be missed, etc. Revisionist history. Let's just get Mary, the girls, and James on staff already.

I just love the re-writing of history that happens after a coach is dismissed/leaves. Coming from Michigan, he was highly thought of-Lloyd Carr loved him and people suggested that Lloyd and Kirk's friendship resulted in his hiring at Iowa. Oh yeah, and there was that issue of all the success that he had at Michigan both with recruiting and getting performance...now, it's no big deal. His WRs at Iowa underperformed (despite the records set in two consecutive years), he won't be missed, etc. Revisionist history. Let's just get Mary, the girls, and James on staff already.

I get that. But I've spoken to more than five former Hawkeyes, some who were coached by Soup and some who were elite players for Iowa in decades past and make it to practice...and none of them had good things to say about Soup as a teacher of the game. All liked him as a person

I really do not understand our fan base. One moment people are ****** because everything is stale. The next minute people ****** because changes are being made.

Last time I checked many football coaches have made transitions to coaching positions they NEVER played at any level. It happens all the time folks.

I personally am very upbeat the direction of the program, not the results currently, but the direction. In football it takes a massive effort as a program (coaches, player recruitment & development, fan base & university support) before you get the results. We hit a snag with a couple of down recruiting classes that are now graduating seniors and current juniors. Great kids and model citizens but lacking from a skills/ability standpoint and by limited numbers. They were unable to impact the program as needed. There is some young talent that hit the field this past season and will continue to do so the next couple of seasons. I think you will see a big difference.

The need for some changes in the coaching staff has been there for some time. We need to get younger, more aggressive and bring in guys who are passionate about football in our assistant coaching ranks. This process started last year with Woods and Ferentz and will continue. Davis was brought in to bridge the gap until Brian is ready for OC. It will pay dividends in the next couple of seasons but some patience needs to be exercised.

I will go on record and say I remain pumped about Woods and Ferentz being added and look forward to more additions; possibilities like Blazek, Albert Young, others. In terms of Brian Ferentz I think this was a great hire as he is mega-aggressive. He has the potential to be an excellent coach IMO. I would also take James in a heart-beat. He is one tough SOB and that is something we sorely need in our program that has been lost along the way. We used to be bullies of the B1G.

In terms of recruits.... I say this... we want guys who want to be here. If the resignation of a coach causes a player to de-commit then to me that player has little fortitude to help the program succeed in the first place. This program has a long history of success despite this past season and has put a ton of players in the NFL. I'll put my money on this program succeeding again. I look forward to seeing these de-comits playing in the 'heart-of-Dallas' or 'weed-eater' bowl on December 27th while we are playing in some awesome bowl in a couple of years.

So Brian Ferentz--a career center--is now the Wide Receivers' coach? I think the entire circus from Barta on down is certifiable and is ready for the boobie hatch! You just can't make this crew up..........

So Brian Ferentz--a career center--is now the Wide Receivers' coach? I think the entire circus from Barta on down is certifiable and is ready for the boobie hatch! You just can't make this crew up..........

Be sure to hang around because I will not let you forget it when it turns. Critics love to promote their genius when the chips are down but are NO-WHERE to be found except back on the bandwagon when success comes.

Latest posts