SoundOff is so vanilla

Exactly. Some just don't get it.

Then you clearly don't know what Fair Weather Fan is.. Here let me help you both out.

Fair Weather Fan
A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams. They basically have no real loyalty to the team, but still manage to get better seats than you at the game. Strangely they mysteriously vanish at the first sign of trouble.

Then you clearly don't know what Fair Weather Fan is.. Here let me help you both out.

Fair Weather Fan
A fan of a sports team who only shows support when the team is doing well. During hard times they usually bandwagon other teams. They basically have no real loyalty to the team, but still manage to get better seats than you at the game. Strangely they mysteriously vanish at the first sign of trouble.
I'm not going to get in a pizzing match with you, but if you think there aren't some fair weather fans on here, you're kidding yourself.

I hate the term Fair Weather Fan and many use the term way to loosely around here. Those posting on this site that show frustration are loyal Hawkeye fans. Not everyday is it going to be sunny.

Fair Weather Fan

You don't think interest in the team is down this year? I had two friends that didn't even watch the Michigan game last week. Whenever a team has success for a period of time they are going to get bandwagon fans.....

Bottom line is the program is on a very slippery slope of simply becoming average. The thing that sticks out most to me is we usually get stronger as the season progresses. Last year and this year -- that is not the case. I am still not buying we are a "young team." We have guys on the field who have been in the system ... We don't have a bunch of true freshmen in the starting lineup ... I honestly don't see next year's team being much different than this one.

Bottom line is the program is on a very slippery slope of simply becoming average. The thing that sticks out most to me is we usually get stronger as the season progresses. Last year and this year -- that is not the case. I am still not buying we are a "young team." We have guys on the field who have been in the system ... We don't have a bunch of true freshmen in the starting lineup ... I honestly don't see next year's team being much different than this one.

We've already become an average program.

Then those people have a real big problem, one that exists in the mirror

What is that big problem exactly? Have you considered whether it is a big problem that our coach is paid among the top 5 or 10 in the country but loses to Minny back to back years? Or has a losing record against NW? Or consistently underachieves based on the number of players that go to the NFL? Because all these things (among others) are a big return on investment problem in my opinion.

Or has been there already in the show, which is why the caller didnt want to hear from me in the first place.

Dear Jon,
I think that the caller had most important point...college football feels for one thing much less amatureish these days and two if we had a record number of our players drafted last year, why did that not show up in the win column ? I am interested in your opinion on this and I am sorry I did not hear your retort earlier in the show......I think this is a logical question that many are asking Jon? If it is "not ready to play"...who is ultimately responsible for this?

I love the argument about the number of players drafted from Iowa and why we can't win. pretty sure jon has touched on this before in other threads. look at the positions these players are being drafted from.
WR - 0
QB - 1
RB - 1
yes we have produced tight ends ans lots of offensive linemen but you need more of the three positions I just listed to be stand outs. in order to win 10 games a year.

defensively we've been pretty stout until the lack of depth last year and this year. so no complaints there.

I am just as mad and frustrated as everyone else but it has nothing to do with how many players are being drafted and us not winning

We have been a good team the last three years with those NFL draftees.
But the more relevant question is ...what current players will be NFL draftees?
Marvin,Reiff,Prater...beyond that? Crapshoot.
We need to be finding the next wave of NFL players.

Dear Jon,
I think that the caller had most important point...college football feels for one thing much less amatureish these days and two if we had a record number of our players drafted last year, why did that not show up in the win column ? I am interested in your opinion on this and I am sorry I did not hear your retort earlier in the show......I think this is a logical question that many are asking Jon? If it is "not ready to play"...who is ultimately responsible for this?

I think I've spoken to and written about this about 100 times since the end of last year; the 2010 Iowa football season was a disappointment and a performance below reasonable expectations.

We have been a good team the last three years with those NFL draftees.
But the more relevant question is ...what current players will be NFL draftees?
Marvin,Reiff,Prater...beyond that? Crapshoot.
We need to be finding the next wave of NFL players.

Bernstein, Nielson will be drafted, Daniels will get a look...also think Guthrie will get a look as a developmental. future Vandenberg, Hyde, Coker, McCall, Morris, Fedorowitz, Hamilton, to name a few.

I think I've spoken to and written about this about 100 times since the end of last year; the 2010 Iowa football season was a disappointment and a performance below reasonable expectations.

No need to be angry Jon, we are all wanting the best for "our" team Jon.

Speaking for the eastern half of the state, I would take Sound-off over WMT's crack show any time. It really went down hill this year without Bob Bruce and Thigpen. Matt Hughes is always making some sort of joke about why Hinkel should join the Iowa coaching staff because he does such a great job coaching high school when Ed makes an interesting point. When he's not joking around, Hughes sounds as if he's thrown a few too many back during the show.

Maybe he hadn't read or heard you talk about it before. No need to berate the guy.

Latest posts