SoundOff is so vanilla

this is all about people not liking their feelings/opinions not being validated/agreed with.

Its a talk show. We won't see things the same way. But some people get so pissy when I don't see it the way they do. It doesn't mean we're always right either. But these reactions after losses are as predictable as the sun rising in the east. Been doing this for 9 years, both on WMT and WHO. Nothing changes, and it was the same way when I used to listen to shows like this

If most of the callers are like me, they are simply resigned to the fact that this Iowa team is just an average middle of the road team. Nothing can get me too exited about the rest of the season.

Getting ready for 2 more losses, then a lesser bowl game.

ho-hum.

I understand where the caller was going with "We lose all these starters to the NFL talk" He is getting that if we have all these NFL caliber players, why are we going 6-6, 7-5, etc. and having players drafted and playing in the NFL. Are we not utilizing the talent we have. Apparently we have a wealth of talent according to the NFL, so why doesn't it relate to wins why they are at Iowa? He basically got frustrated and knew he was going to get hung up on, but I understood where he was coming from but I feel Jon either didn't or didn't want to.

I understand where the caller was going with "We lose all these starters to the NFL talk" He is getting that if we have all these NFL caliber players, why are we going 6-6, 7-5, etc. and having players drafted and playing in the NFL. Are we not utilizing the talent we have. Apparently we have a wealth of talent according to the NFL, so why doesn't it relate to wins why they are at Iowa? He basically got frustrated and knew he was going to get hung up on, but I understood where he was coming from but I feel Jon either didn't or didn't want to.

Or has been there already in the show, which is why the caller didnt want to hear from me in the first place.

I think you correct on this, but I also think this years anger and disappointment is a carry over from last year. Last year we did have the talent and didn't produce... this year we don't have the talent and people's expectations were over inflated. This is a re-building year folks, and with youth and inexperience you get inconsistent play. Execution suffers, mental mistakes, etc.
Keep your heads up Hawk fans.

I think it's a great question that didnt get the treatment it deserved. Frankly, how many players we send to the NFL is meaningless to me when we hover around .500 in the B1G and have an unacceptable record against the minnys, nws, indianas, etc under the current regime. A first round draft pick in 2012 doesn't change the results of those games.

I think you correct on this, but I also think this years anger and disappointment is a carry over from last year. Last year we did have the talent and didn't produce... this year we don't have the talent and people's expectations were over inflated. This is a re-building year folks, and with youth and inexperience you get inconsistent play. Execution suffers, mental mistakes, etc.
Keep your heads up Hawk fans.

I dont think there is any doubt about this. Wrote about it two weeks ago in fact.

Iowa just isn't an elite team...and shows no sign of being one for awhile in my opinion. You can't keep paying elite money to a coaching staff that gives you .500 football.

I dont think there is any doubt about this. Wrote about it two weeks ago in fact.

With the exception of 2009, I think a lot of people are still suffering a hangover from 2005 on. It's having a cumulative emotional effect on the fan base. The criticism will only get louder and louder (except on SoundOff) absent some reasonable basis for optimism moving forward.

I think it's a great question that didnt get the treatment it deserved. Frankly, how many players we send to the NFL is meaningless to me when we hover around .500 in the B1G and have an unacceptable record against the minnys, nws, indianas, etc under the current regime. A first round draft pick in 2012 doesn't change the results of those games.

Yes this legitimate question gets danced around an awful lot. NFL talent and we still cannot win with consistency. Why is this? I also get tired of we cannot recruit like the Texas's, OSU's, Florida's etc. I sure hope we can recruit better than the Boise State's, TCU's, etc. who seem to be in the National spotlight with consistency.

Yes this legitimate question gets danced around an awful lot. NFL talent and we still cannot win with consistency. Why is this? I also get tired of we cannot recruit like the Texas's, OSU's, Florida's etc. I sure hope we can recruit better than the Boise State's, TCU's, etc. who seem to be in the National spotlight with consistency.

Please take into consideration the schedules these team play against.

Actually, Iowa's schedule this year is pretty much a cupcake. 6-6 this year would be 4-8 most years.

But teams like Boise and TCU don't play competitive teams week in and week out. When you're up by 3-4 touchdowns at half or early 3rd quarter, you can rest your starters and do it all again next week. When you only play one or two tough games in a year, it's easy to pile up the victories.

Latest posts