Sos

You realize Kirk Ferentz is still the coach, right?

You might as well hope for a game plan that changes each week based on the opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

Also I'd advise you to spend lots of money on lottery tickets.

Likewise. Did you forget "we are a developmental program"?
I'm not predicting they will. I'm just hoping. I'm well aware of our history. I'm not crazy about playing Wisky right out of the gate to start the BIG part of the year. But it is what it is. If we look good and are undefeated when we play Wisky and then look good beating them... That'd be a nice springboard for the year. Those with the 7-8 win expectations would all of a sudden go up. It'd be fun to see..

I see we are beating this same old dead horse again! Let's repeat if Iowa loses 2 or more games, then pretty much 0 chance they get in playoff no matter who they played, FCS or no FCS. If Iowa loses 1 game and it is not a loss in the Big ten title game then they are very likely in the playoff. And of course we sweep the board then we in 4 sure. That's the rules of the game now until playoff gets expanded in future.

I see we are beating this same old dead horse again! Let's repeat if Iowa loses 2 or more games, then pretty much 0 chance they get in playoff no matter who they played, FCS or no FCS. If Iowa loses 1 game and it is not a loss in the Big ten title game then they are very likely in the playoff. And of course we sweep the board then we in 4 sure. That's the rules of the game now until playoff gets expanded in future.
Yeah isn't pretty much don't lose.
You can be a one loss team and still have to make a case to get in, so just don't lose is the solution.
Tough to do, for sure, but not impossible.
I didn't post it for that debate though. I just like reading outside people's view on things.

Since you're the 1st to mention playoffs in this thread, it seems you're beating your own dead horse.

< waits >

< waits >

But that leaves you one hand free to post here.

Since playoffs came into being that is THE PRIZE. Anything else is a participation trophy unless you really love the Jimmy John's Freaky Fast BumbF### nowhere bowl. And tired of the SOS crap where people state we have to play an Auburn (or the like) in the pre-Big Ten. No we don't. Would a 2 loss Iowa get in playoff with a win over an Auburn? I would say probably not. A 1 loss Iowa, maybe if we just won BT title game. So it doesn't matter if we play UNI at all. We have to win no matter who we play. We're the perpetual dog.

Would a 2 loss Iowa get in playoff with a win over an Auburn?
Anyone who thinks Iowa should consider cfp implications w/ their non-con schedule is kidding themselves.

They're not going to be good enough to be a legitimate contender, and the odds of everything working out perfectly like they did in '15 (when a good but not great team had a window of opportunity) aren't high enough to matter.

Otoh, if you raise the quality of your non-con, you could put some excitement into the program. Create a buzz. Raise the program's national profile.

If you don't think that's needed, or that matters (say, in recruiting), then congrats. KF is the perfect coach for you, as that seems to be his opinion as well.

Anyone who thinks Iowa should consider cfp implications w/ their non-con schedule is kidding themselves.

They're not going to be good enough to be a legitimate contender, and the odds of everything working out perfectly like they did in '15 (when a good but not great team had a window of opportunity) aren't high enough to matter.

Otoh, if you raise the quality of your non-con, you could put some excitement into the program. Create a buzz. Raise the program's national profile.

If you don't think that's needed, or that matters (say, in recruiting), then congrats. KF is the perfect coach for you, as that seems to be his opinion as well.

I am sure the 4 and 5 stars in Florida would just be streaming across our state line to sign up!! Dude we are in a low population state and we have winter and no mountains or oceans and in many rural locations you can take in what Iowans call the "smell of money". One of our main features would be we are east of Nebraska which puts us just above them as closer to somewhere.

I am sure the 4 and 5 stars in Florida would just be streaming across our state line to sign up!! Dude we are in a low population state and we have winter and no mountains or oceans and in many rural locations you can take in what Iowans call the "smell of money". One of our main features would be we are east of Nebraska which puts us just above them as closer to somewhere.

Then how does Nebraska manage to get them (Florida kids) to go there? They have like 12 on the roster. Iowa has what? One?

I am sure the 4 and 5 stars in Florida would just be streaming across our state line to sign up
Is that really the best you can do? Sad.

I didn't say or imply we'd ever be a recruiting power, or should try to be one.

I said we could use non-con scheduling to raise the program's profile, and implied it would help recruiting. See the difference?

Doing either of those things, even incrementally, is a better & more realistic scheduling objective than "don't hurt your cfp chances".

Consider myself in that category then... I think Iowa SHOULD be doing that. But clearly they haven't and won't. I would like to think goal #1 for the coaches is to do everything they can to position themselves to get in the playoffs and play for the only trophy that matters. All the other ones are as many have described 'participation ribbons' Do schools that win the NIT 'celebrate' that any longer than the plane ride back home from it? I just can't get down with either of those sort of things. I wish Iowas coaches would set their goals higher because to me it starts there.

Consider myself in that category then... I think Iowa SHOULD be doing that. But clearly they haven't and won't.
I can't tell what you mean here. Iowa SHOULD be doing... what? Prioritizing the cfp, I assume.

But you don't agree w/ what Iowa is currently doing ("clearly they haven't and won't"). So, you think the non-con should somehow be even easier than it already is, to pave the way to the cfp? Or that part wasn't about the schedule?

Funny, when Bama plays Charleston Southern, nobody cares. When an (alleged) Iowa fan mentions our non-con vis-a-vis the playoff, I think. "BEATHARDTEAMS didn't really get banned..."

I can't tell what you mean here. Iowa SHOULD be doing... what? Prioritizing the cfp, I assume.

But you don't agree w/ what Iowa is currently doing ("clearly they haven't and won't"). So, you think the non-con should somehow be even easier than it already is, to pave the way to the cfp? Or that part wasn't about the schedule?
Sorry to clarify. I feel Iowa should prioritize getting to the playoffs. Scheduling is the most controllable thing coaches can do to try helping them achieve it. It's way more controllable than recruiting/injuries/winning and losing are. If Iowa State is our toughest non con game year in and year out that hurts us. I feel Iowa clearly hasn't been setting their schedule with playoff positioning in mind. I don't think making it easier is the answer hell it's arguably pretty darn easy already we just rarely take advantage of it . I'd rather have tougher games. I don't think they need to be playing Bama or Clemson but getting schools like Pitt/BC even middle of the road ACC, SEC, BIG12 schools would work. Anything is better than UNI, North TX etc.

Funny, when Bama plays Charleston Southern, nobody cares. When an (alleged) Iowa fan mentions our non-con vis-a-vis the playoff, I think. "BEATHARDTEAMS didn't really get banned..."
Oh they took some heat for that on some national shows last yr for it. Not as much as they probably have coming but to be fair I can remember some talking heads calling them out on just that too. I don't think it's the worst thing ever to play one of those games. Bama is starting a series with Texas I believe going forward. It's when your toughest non con game every year is Iowa State like ours has been lately & going forward it just doesn't bode well at all...

Oh they took some heat for that on some national shows last yr for it. Not as much as they probably have coming but to be fair I can remember some talking heads calling them out on just that too. I don't think it's the worst thing ever to play one of those games. Bama is starting a series with Texas I believe going forward. It's when your toughest non con game every year is Iowa State like ours has been lately & going forward it just doesn't bode well at all...

And as has been brought up ad nauseum, Bama, Clemson, et. al., will NEVER schedule a home-and-home with Iowa. The best we could ever hope for would be a neutral site for our home portion, which would probably NOT be Chicago, St. Louis or Kansas City. We have had more cancellations over the years than can be counted on two hands. Miami/FL ALMOST pulled it off in 1992, but for some good lawyers and Hurricane Andrew.

And as has been brought up ad nauseum, Bama, Clemson, et. al., will NEVER schedule a home-and-home with Iowa. The best we could ever hope for would be a neutral site for our home portion, which would probably NOT be Chicago, St. Louis or Kansas City. We have had more cancellations over the years than can be counted on two hands. Miami/FL ALMOST pulled it off in 1992, but for some good lawyers and Hurricane Andrew.
Oh I know those schools wouldn't. If you'd seen prior posts of mine I'd mentioned that as well I wasn't suggesting that here at all. We have to shoot for schools in the middle of the pack that would even consider it. As fun as getting a school like that to come to Kinnick would be it just won't ever happen... Hell we couldn't even get Snyder and K State back in 99 to come to Kinnick we had to do that at Arrowhead in KC and sweat our balls off to watch that. Hottest game I've ever attended no question about it.

Oh I know those schools wouldn't. If you'd seen prior posts of mine I'd mentioned that as well I wasn't suggesting that here at all. We have to shoot for schools in the middle of the pack that would even consider it. As fun as getting a school like that to come to Kinnick would be it just won't ever happen... Hell we couldn't even get Snyder and K State back in 99 to come to Kinnick we had to do that at Arrowhead in KC and sweat our balls off to watch that. Hottest game I've ever attended no question about it.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Pitt series. So they would be my ACC "choice" for inter-conference series. Others would be Tennessee or Missouri for $EC, Colorado for Pac-12, and if we had to have a Big XII not named ISU, I'd go withK-State. Maybe when Snyder leaves it can be given a renewed shot, but no way he wants to come into Iowa City.

Latest posts