Sos

At this point it's all about number of wins. It's gonna be a lot tougher to get kid Ferentz the head job if we're only winning 7 or 8 games each year.

It's always about number of wins.
I do find it funny how Nebby fans are crowing about sos and they are basically middle of pack in that department.
We just need to get off to a fast start and be up for every game. None of this over looking or emotional let down stuff. No time for any of that.

Haven't really looked at the schedule until now. Am I seeing that right that, after Wisconsin at home on Sept 22, we have 4 out of 5 on the road? Granted, 3 of those are Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue (along with PSU), but I still don't really like it.

Haven't really looked at the schedule until now. Am I seeing that right that, after Wisconsin at home on Sept 22, we have 4 out of 5 on the road? Granted, 3 of those are Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue (along with PSU), but I still don't really like it.
I noticed that too. We have to start hot and stay that way if we are going to have much to cheer about this year...

Maryland will be tough...Purdue will be tough. Its pure empiricism and by virtue of its methodology excludes new coaches and program momentum.

After having a Top 5 sos last year I'm fine with this year's schedule. The stretch of away games is going to suck, that's prime tailgating time! Preseason sos rankings are as useless as preseason top 25 rankings though.

We just need to get off to a fast start and be up for every game.
You realize Kirk Ferentz is still the coach, right?

You might as well hope for a game plan that changes each week based on the opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

Also I'd advise you to spend lots of money on lottery tickets.

We have to start hot ..
Likewise. Did you forget "we are a developmental program"?

After having a Top 5 sos last year I'm fine with this year's schedule. The stretch of away games is going to suck, that's prime tailgating time! Preseason sos rankings are as useless as preseason top 25 rankings though.

Pretty much. While his logic and numbers my be sound, he has no factoring in for programs that have maybe taken a step forward.

You realize Kirk Ferentz is still the coach, right?

You might as well hope for a game plan that changes each week based on the opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

Also I'd advise you to spend lots of money on lottery tickets.

Likewise. Did you forget "we are a developmental program"?

Well all coaches want to be playing their best ball later in the year. I get that. We are just going to have to get it going faster this year if we want a shot at the west.

I don't buy preseason SOS rankings. They're predictions. Talk to me after the season, then we'll see who played the toughest schedule.

This year could be made for disappointment. Lose one of the first 3, then Wisconsin and that 4 out of 5 road trip could spell disaster. 3 or more losses going into Happy Valley would be bad. This could be another 4-4 or 5-3 team that finishes strong to go 7-5 or 8-4.

On the other hand if we come out of October with 2 losses (or less), it could be a great season.

I have said this a million times. An easy schedule does not turn a 6-6 team into an 10-2 team. An easy schedule turns a 6-6 team into a 7-5 team. It only makes a difference of 1 win.

Last year's 7-5 team would have finished 8-4 with this year's schedule.

The main difference is last year's team played Wyoming, NT, OSU and MSU and went 3-1. This years team plays NIU, UNI, MD and Indy and will "probably" go 3-1, maybe 4-0.

Another difference last year Iowa played ISU, NW, Wisc and Neb on the road (2-2) and Minn, Pur, PSU, ILL at home (2-2), and went 4-4 against common opponents.

This year home and away are switched and Iowa will probably go 5-3, maybe 4-4 against the common opponents.

So in the end it only changes Iowa's win total by 1 game.

I have said this a million times. An easy schedule does not turn a 6-6 team into an 10-2 team. An easy schedule turns a 6-6 team into a 7-5 team. It only makes a difference of 1 win.

Last year's 7-5 team would have finished 8-4 with this year's schedule.

The main difference is last year's team played Wyoming, NT, OSU and MSU and went 3-1. This years team plays NIU, UNI, MD and Indy and will "probably" go 3-1, maybe 4-0.

Another difference last year Iowa played ISU, NW, Wisc and Neb on the road (2-2) and Minn, Pur, PSU, ILL at home (2-2), and went 4-4 against common opponents.

This year home and away are switched and Iowa will probably go 5-3, maybe 4-4 against the common opponents.

So in the end it only changes Iowa's win total by 1 game.

If pre season sos doesn't matter (which I partly agree with). Easy and hard schedules don't matter.
Then your hypothesis doesn't either, because this isn't last year's team.

Last edited:

Latest posts