Somethings got to give

This whole thing has been super frustrating. It’s not that complex of a situation.

Till got a one year scholarship and as it stands today Iowa would be one scholarship short next year. The chances of an offseason scholarship becoming available are exponentially higher than one not becoming available, and worst case we have some flexibility with Connor’s scholarship. This will so easily work itself out that the amount of discussion it’s gotten has been painful in my opinion.
Agree.

I don't think this is true anymore, maybe in football due to numbers, but the only difference between Till and Ash is Till gets financial assistance.

yeah, that was my point. the OP asked "beyond the obvious" which would also include playing time and traveling to road games, etc.

I think the Murray twins might surprise some folks. They continue to grow and improve, their best ball is still ahead of them. And we all know they come from solid pedigree.
I can see contributions from them in a couple of years.

Fran's a lot of things at times, but dumb is never one of them. That cat is sharp. And he wouldn't have extended 5 schollies if he wasn't 100% sure that it was going to work out.

He knows his agreement with Till was only for 1 year since they had one to give and Fran felt he deserved to be rewarded for this year. Next year, that schollie comes open.

He then only needs to come up with one scholarship. That can come from a variety of places....Pemsl could transfer, Connor or Patrick could be taken off schollie for one year until JBO graduates, etc.

There isn't any big conundrum here at all.

For some reason I thought Connor was on a Baseball scholarship, but apparently not?
I believe the rule is if you’re on scholarship for one sport and you play another sport you have to count the scholarship against the total for both sports. So whether his scholarship is with the baseball team or basketball team it counts against both allotments. I could be wrong on that.

010817779de0382e2cd917f1e73396b08137eb72.jpg

Jack and Diane agree.

Question: Aside from the obvious, what does a scholarship afford an athlete? What does a Riley Till get that an Austin Ashe doesn't?

These days I think the difference is mostly away from the athletic program, particularly at a place like Iowa where star rankings are thrown out the window.

I'm guessing its things like enrollment preference, tutoring availability, living arrangements, & insurance might be different for scholarship athletes vs walk-ons.

Don't cry for the Till's they can afford the tuition, maybe brother in law can float a loan. Coach can pay his son's way if things don't work out. Iowa sitting in a great place. Pemsl deserves to choose to stay or leave, I think he is a Hawkeye for life and his best basketball is ahead of him. He was one of the reasons we won at Minnesota and is starting to play with a lot more confidence. Iowa can redshirt next year some of the incoming freshman and play the most ready for a second unit. Think of it, if Garza and Wiese stay we start JBo, Wiese, Garza, Joe T or Connor, and CJ. Pemsl and Joe T or Conner lead the best of the freshman off the bench with the second unit of exciting athletic freshman. I said I just wanted this years team to improve and get experience for next year, which they have. I had more fun watching this team than any team since the Davis years. We now face the corundum that if Garza and Wiese play too well down the stretch we lose them to the pros and next year's fantasy season will never exist. These are good problems to have.

Right or wrong, I really hope Cordell comes back. I just like his guts. He is an Iowa guy.
Why would he even think about leaving in the first place? He obviously loves being a Hawk and is in line for more PT with Kreiner graduating. I just hope he can go injury and off court stupidity free and have a nice finish to his career. Fifth year seniors tend to bring a lot more to a team than the vast majority of freshman.

Latest posts