Somethings got to give

BigD

Too Much of a Good Thing: Making Sense of Iowa Basketball’s Scholarship Distribution
Iowa is set to have more scholarship players than it has scholarships in 2020-21. Something has got to give.

usa_today_13655919.0.jpg

Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports
As much fun as Iowa basketball has been this season, Hawkeye fans can be forgiven if they occasionally find themselves looking ahead to next year. While the Hawkeyes will lose Ryan Kriener and Bakari Evelyn to graduation, they are set to return every other contributor from this year’s team, along with three injured players (Jordan Bohannon, Jack Nunge, and Patrick McCaffery) who were expected to play major roles on this year’s squad. Iowa also has five incoming freshmen arriving on campus next year who will have a shot to work their way into the rotation:

Iowa Basketball Recruiting Class of 2020
NAME POSITION HEIGHT WEIGHT 247 COMPOSITE RATING
NAME
POSITION HEIGHT WEIGHT 247 COMPOSITE RATING
Ahron Ulis PG 6 ft, 2 in 185 lbs 3-star
Josh Ogundele C 6 ft, 10 in 240 lbs 3-star
Tony Perkins SG 6 ft, 4 in 185 lbs 3-star
Keegan Murray SF 6 ft, 8 in 215 lbs 1-star
Kris Murray SF 6 ft, 8 in 205 lbs 1-star

How exactly did Iowa, a team that has seemingly run out of healthy lettermen this season, end up with more scholarship players than they had available scholarships? Jordan Bohannon’s injury and redshirt certainly threw a wrench in coach Fran McCaffery’s plans for the program’s scholarship distribution, as it kept one player who would otherwise graduate this season and gave him another year of eligibility (though one can’t imagine McCaffery being particularly upset about getting another year of Jordan Bohannon). However, not only had Bohannon’s potential redshirt been discussed months before the early signing day, but Fran offered scholarships to the Murray twins (the 3rd and 4th commitments of this incoming class) in October when Iowa was still very much in play for the services of both Xavier Foster and Josh Ogundele, indicating that he was very intentional about bringing in five scholarship players in the incoming class.

Fran McCaffery also isn’t the only coach to “over-recruit” players in a given class. Given the high number of transfers and early NBA defections in college basketball in recent years, coaches have to be prepared for players to depart from their program much earlier than anticipated, which warrants forming strong ties with players who could potentially replace them. Iowa doesn’t have a great track record of landing grad transfers (Evelyn is the program’s first under McCaffery), so it tends to look to the high school ranks instead.

So how will Iowa navigate having two more scholarship players than it has scholarships? Here are a few scenarios as to how this situation might play out:

Scenario One: Iowa loses players to transfer

This scenario is far from unprecedented, with graduate transfers and defections due to lack of playing time becoming increasingly common in college basketball. In fact, Iowa lost two contributors from last year’s team to transfer (Isaiah Moss and Maishe Dailey), as well as two players the season prior (Ahmad Wagner and Brady Ellingson). Veteran players might transfer to maximize their playing time like Dailey and Ellingson, or because they believe, as Moss did, that a change of scenery can help jumpstart their potential pro career. If any of Iowa’s returning scholarship veterans feel they might have a better chance to shine wearing different colors next season, their absence could open up space for Iowa’s incoming players to take their scholarships.

Players like Riley Till and Cordell Pemsl are great Hawkeyes who have made real contributions to this year’s team. They could also get significantly more minutes and play a much bigger role in the rotation if they transferred to a smaller school. Whether they or some of their teammates choose to stick around to fight for more minutes next season or bolt for greener pastures remains to be seen, but this could be one factor worth watching.

Scenario Two: Iowa loses players to the pros

Neither Luka Garza or Joe Wieskamp are showing up on NBA mock draft boards at this stage in the season, but have made huge strides in 2020, and it’s not inconceivable that either player could look to move to the professional ranks. A breakout performance in the NCAA tournament could elevate Wieskamp’s stock considerably, and Garza may choose to strike while the iron is hot and try his luck in the NBA draft if he expects his draft stock to fall next season or if he has already tapped into the potential that he can develop and show in the college game. Jordan Bohannon could also be a candidate to head overseas, though this would only make sense if he had reason to suspect his hip injuries might diminish his production next season, justifying him taking a flyer on the pros before his stock dropped.

Scenario Three: Nobody leaves

While Iowa is likely to lose at least one player before next season begins (some level of attrition is the cost of doing business in major college basketball, after all), it is still very possible that every scholarship Hawkeye opts to remain in Iowa City for the 2020-21 season. Since each of Iowa’s incoming players has already signed their letter of intent and because it’s highly unlikely that McCaffery would look to remove the scholarship of a current Hawkeye without genuine cause, Iowa will have to get creative to accommodate all of its roster talent next season.

Fortunately, the Hawkeyes might have an ace in the hole to help them accommodate this situation. Connor and Patrick McCaffery could consider forfeiting their scholarships to two of the incoming freshmen, allowing Iowa to keep all of its talented players on the roster. This idea isn’t coming out of nowhere: Connor walked on to Iowa his freshman year despite easily having the high school pedigree to warrant a scholarship, while Patrick was committed to Iowa along with Joe Toussaint last season despite the Hawkeyes having only one scholarship senior set to graduate that year, prompting speculation that Fran intended to repeat this practice with his middle son. I’m certainly not advocating that either player do this—Connor has more than proved his value to the team, and Patrick was a 4-star prospect coming out of high school and one of the best recruits of the McCaffery era—but history tells us this is a move that Fran could consider if the circumstances call for it. By having his skilled sons play as walk-ons, Fran could ensure that Iowa accommodates all of its incoming talent without losing any of its current talent.

An uncertain future:

Fran locked down five high school recruits before the first month of the 2019-20 season was even finished instead of waiting to see if roster spots might come available or whether there might be a graduate transfer on the market worth considering. McCaffery’s desire secure commitments from these five players down shows that he clearly believes each of them can play Big Ten basketball and can meaningfully help this Iowa team in the coming years. Will McCaffery have to perform roster magic to make room for this incoming talent, or does he perhaps know something fans don’t about current player intending to move on after this season? Either way, it will be fascinating to watch what happens with Iowa’s scholarship distribution at season’s end.

Question: Aside from the obvious, what does a scholarship afford an athlete? What does a Riley Till get that an Austin Ashe doesn't?

Question: Aside from the obvious, what does a scholarship afford an athlete? What does a Riley Till get that an Austin Ashe doesn't?

i don't really know for sure, today, but in the past, walk ons were not allowed to participate in things like training table, etc. they really were separated from the team and were mostly practice players. i don't know if that was legislated or not, but a recent thread i read on another board was from a former hawkeye walk on's parents who said, at iowa, they are treated exactly like scholarship players with the same opportunities. so, however it has happened, i think most schools use walk ons to back fill or account for attrition. so, to answer your question, i don't think there is a lot.

I think Fran having the ‘ace in the hole’ covers everything. IF everyone stays (great), take his sons off scholly.

Look at it this way... a one-year scholly is worth what $20k to the McCafferys? But Fran’s success is worth astronomically more each year (think incentive bonuses, contract extensions, endorsements, etc). WHY WOULDN’T he want to keep his players and sons. Essentially playing with extra ‘bullets’ in his gun?

Didn’t McDermott and Alford do the same, and their sons were studs? Plus, when in the last 10-15 years, have we returned ‘everyone’? It seems every year 1-3 guys ‘defect’, leave early to go pro, etc.(seems to happen to most P6 schools, not just us). It seems so rare these days anyone stays 4-5 years in one program. so this could all easily be a non-issue anyway.

Last edited:
I doubt they renew Till's scholarship, I look at the scholarship he got this year as a gift from Fran because he works his tail off in practice and Fran had an extra one to give. I also question whether or not Pemsl will be back, if both Garza and JW return next year then I can see Pemsl transferring out. Obviously I'm speculating but these things have a way of working themselves out. They do every year.

i don't really know for sure, today, but in the past, walk ons were not allowed to participate in things like training table, etc. they really were separated from the team and were mostly practice players. i don't know if that was legislated or not, but a recent thread i read on another board was from a former hawkeye walk on's parents who said, at iowa, they are treated exactly like scholarship players with the same opportunities. so, however it has happened, i think most schools use walk ons to back fill or account for attrition. so, to answer your question, i don't think there is a lot.

I don't think this is true anymore, maybe in football due to numbers, but the only difference between Till and Ash is Till gets financial assistance.

I doubt they renew Till's scholarship, I look at the scholarship he got this year as a gift from Fran because he works his tail off in practice and Fran had an extra one to give. I also question whether or not Pemsl will be back, if both Garza and JW return next year then I can see Pemsl transferring out. Obviously I'm speculating but these things have a way of working themselves out. They do every year.
There are no roads left for Pemsl to travel in Iowa City.

No disrespect to Riley, but he's not a D1 scholarship guy. That said, how do you pull a scholly away from a kid once you've given it? Not a good look.

Also, not a big fan of the loaded 5 players classes. 1/3 of your roster locked up in a single class.

When your dad is the coach and you want to play for him and your dad makes a couple million a year I do not think it is a bad look to go off scholarship to make way for other incoming players.

I havent been following recruiting much but the OP shows the Murray twins as being 1 star recruits. What is the story in why they were offered scholarships? Are they not that good right now, didnt play much bball yet but show a lot of promise?

It is an interesting situation but I think it will take care of itself.

And graduation year wise as far as taking 5 players in a year, if 2 of the 5 players redshirt then that immediately puts them graduating and playing a year later than their fellow recruits. Then the next year you recruit only 3 players.

No disrespect to Riley, but he's not a D1 scholarship guy. That said, how do you pull a scholly away from a kid once you've given it? Not a good look.

Also, not a big fan of the loaded 5 players classes. 1/3 of your roster locked up in a single class.
I don't think they'd take Tills scholly away. He'd have one of or both of his kids 'walk on' if it came right down to it. Fran can afford it.

If he told Till in advance that he was going to get a 1 year scholarship and that's it, then I think its completely fine to not give him one next year. As far as the 5 year classes go, that's just the way of college basketball now. Every year you are filling the scholarships of the seniors that leave, the scholarships of the boarderline pros who decide to roll the dice, and the scholarships of the guys who aren't good enough and decide to transfer out. It won't be like that every single year, but it will a lot of them. And that goes for pretty much every school.

I don't think they'd take Tills scholly away. He'd have one of or both of his kids 'walk on' if it came right down to it. Fran can afford it.
They told Till before the year he was only on scholarship for this season. This was reported by Iowa media members.

If he only promised a 1 year deal, he wouldn't be "taking it away". If he promised him he was on scholarship for good, he won't take it away before paying his son's way.

If he only promised a 1 year deal, he wouldn't be "taking it away". If he promised him he was on scholarship for good, he won't take it away before paying his son's way.
I didn't realize that was the case with it being a 1 yr kind of thing. That's interesting hope he's alright with it. Better to have 1 yr paid for then none

When your dad is the coach and you want to play for him and your dad makes a couple million a year I do not think it is a bad look to go off scholarship to make way for other incoming players.

I havent been following recruiting much but the OP shows the Murray twins as being 1 star recruits. What is the story in why they were offered scholarships? Are they not that good right now, didnt play much bball yet but show a lot of promise?

It is an interesting situation but I think it will take care of itself.

And graduation year wise as far as taking 5 players in a year, if 2 of the 5 players redshirt then that immediately puts them graduating and playing a year later than their fellow recruits. Then the next year you recruit only 3 players.
Murray’s are Iowa HS kids that had small D1 offers out of high school to Western Illinois. They decided to go to prep school and have since grown three inches and are up to 6’8 and filling out their frames. Fran scouted them a few times and decided to offer before their prep season began and they committed. Sounded like Auburn started kicking the tires before they committed to Iowa. They are having very strong prep seasons this year down in Florida.

This whole thing has been super frustrating. It’s not that complex of a situation.

Till got a one year scholarship and as it stands today Iowa would be one scholarship short next year. The chances of an offseason scholarship becoming available are exponentially higher than one not becoming available, and worst case we have some flexibility with Connor’s scholarship. This will so easily work itself out that the amount of discussion it’s gotten has been painful in my opinion.

From what I have read, they told Till that his scholarship was a one-year deal because they had the open scholly and thought he was deserving. But, it was not like Baer who moved up from a walk-on to a scholarship level player. That is not Till.

I expect Pemsl to transfer. Fran could be generous and pull one of his boys' schollie's for Till, but he has absolutely no obligation to do so. Till is not a Scholly level player, especially on next year's team with the depth it will have.

Iowa has plenty of ways to make this work, most likely in a transfer or Fran paying the way for his kids. I don't worry about how it will shake out at all.

Murray’s are Iowa HS kids that had small D1 offers out of high school to Western Illinois. They decided to go to prep school and have since grown three inches and are up to 6’8 and filling out their frames. Fran scouted them a few times and decided to offer before their prep season began and they committed. Sounded like Auburn started kicking the tires before they committed to Iowa. They are having very strong prep seasons this year down in Florida.

I think the Murray twins might surprise some folks. They continue to grow and improve, their best ball is still ahead of them. And we all know they come from solid pedigree.

Last edited:

Latest posts