Something to consider with Hubbard

SwirlinLingerie

When Iowa started recruiting Hubbard and I read about his game, I was excited because I thought he was the player that could most help Iowa with its greatest weaknesses next season. He can create his own shot through penetration, he can shoot from outside, and he can guard athletic perimeter players.

But in recent weeks, I've become more excited about what Hubbard can become, not what he is. This is a guy who didn't play high school basketball. By all accounts, he took an exponential leap between year one and year two of junior college.

When you consider the progress Cartwright, Basabe, Brommer, even Archie made over the course of a season with Fran, what will we see from Hubbard, a guy who, despite his age, has perhaps not even scratched the surface of his ability?

Most 17 year olds play more basketball games in a summer now than Hubbard has played in his life.

Is this a guy who could contend for all-conference status in Fran's system this year? Player of the year as a senior? The first Hawkeye drafted in years?

March is going to be fun again.

Something else to consider. This is a young man that is literally..rebuilding his life. And by all accounts doing it the right way.
I can't think of a better place for him than Iowa. He'll have a support network and an "environment" that will reinforce his path.

Welcome, Anthony. Your "family" just got a whole lot bigger.

He's at his physical peak, can learn quickly and has some athleticism.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him lead the team in steals.

As everyone knows,and Fran said the other nite, Iowa needs an infusion of talent,across the board. Today's commitment from Anthony Hubbard,hopefully,is another step in that direction.

Welcome aboard,Anthony Hubbard!! Go Hawks!!

The Big Ten lost a ton of upperclassmen this year. I like that Iowa will finally field a more mature team,with Bryce,Matt,Anthony,Brommer,May all being pretty advanced guys physically. Melsahn is a tough guy,and McCabe is also hard-nosed.

A lot of teams will be counting on callow youngsters this year,and Iowa might just finally be able to push some teams around,like Illinois,Wisky,PSU,NW,IU and Purdue.
Time to get it done on the court,Hawks!

If he's really good he may skip his senior year and go to the NBA. I say that considering his age. I have no idea if he is, or will be, NBA material.

If he's really good he may skip his senior year and go to the NBA. I say that considering his age. I have no idea if he is, or will be, NBA material.

I think the OP may have had his homer glasses on with the NBA comment. I think that is putting the cart WAY in front of the horse at this point. I am very excited to have Hubbard aboard, and certainly think he can help in a big way, but any NBA talk is craziness at this point.

I would agree, that's why I posed it as a question. But it's not that crazy to think a guy who made junior college all-american in his second season of organized basketball could be a second round pick in another couple years of learning the game.

It's not like this is a guy we found playing at the Iowa City rec center. He was a junior college all-american and exponentially better than in his first season.

I wouldnt say he is a great outside shooter...he hit 32% of treys last year and only attempted 38...he also attempted over 200 free throws and hit just 61% of them...his game is getting to the lane and to the rim...strength. Things Iowa needs

if he attempts 200 freethrows next year and makes 60% he will have made more (120) than Basabe shot this year (114). That is alot more points on the board cosidering some of those would be trying to complete a three point play after he drives to the hoop. Plus the foul trouble he will create for the other teams big men.

Something else to consider. This is a young man that is literally..rebuilding his life. And by all accounts doing it the right way.
I can't think of a better place for him than Iowa. He'll have a support network and an "environment" that will reinforce his path.

Welcome, Anthony. Your "family" just got a whole lot bigger.

Wondering what this support system is that Iowa has had and how it has worked recently?

Yes, the guy that was down to Nebraska and Iowa will be the next Hawkeye in the NBA.

Slow down fans, there will be some adjustment time for Hubbard similar to Cartwright, but once he gets used to Big Ten basketball look out, with one more addition our team should be more fun to watch next yr.

I'm interested to see how this plays out and so far have faith in the coaching staff. I have no problem with giving someone a chance...especially someone who has already "paid their due".

If it works out, (and I kind of think it will) it will be an example of the good that comes out of sports. We see a lot of bad things in sports so it would be great to see a nice ending.

Latest posts