Something just hasn't been right all year...

SpiderRico

We've got an offense that, while it didn't blow the roof off the barn last year....was pretty decent and clearly had an identity and finished up pretty strong by putting up 66 total points in the last 2 games of 2013 against Michigan and Nebraska. We returned pretty much everyone with the exception of CJF this year, so you'd expect pretty good continuity and execution shouldn't have been a problem. Yet over halfway thru the year, we have no identity, can't even avg 4 yds/carry in the running game, and often look like we returned next to no one on offense.

Reading all the posts about disgruntlement, possible transfers, petty issues, etc....it's starting to make more sense now. From Bullock and Smith looking like they were going to come to blows on the last play against Md, to no one having JRs back when he got cheap shotted vs ISU, to Scherff getting absolutely owned against a 5'11" DE....something isn't passing the smell test.

Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out at the end of the year. This year definitely has 6-6 written all over it (only remaining win vs Illinois).

Remember when our only remaining win in '07 was against Western Michigan? I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

We've got an offense that, while it didn't blow the roof off the barn last year....was pretty decent and clearly had an identity and finished up pretty strong by putting up 66 total points in the last 2 games of 2013 against Michigan and Nebraska. We returned pretty much everyone with the exception of CJF this year, so you'd expect pretty good continuity and execution shouldn't have been a problem. Yet over halfway thru the year, we have no identity, can't even avg 4 yds/carry in the running game, and often look like we returned next to no one on offense.

Reading all the posts about disgruntlement, possible transfers, petty issues, etc....it's starting to make more sense now. From Bullock and Smith looking like they were going to come to blows on the last play against Md, to no one having JRs back when he got cheap shotted vs ISU, to Scherff getting absolutely owned against a 5'11" DE....something isn't passing the smell test.

Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out at the end of the year. This year definitely has 6-6 written all over it (only remaining win vs Illinois).
Spider, I hope your wrong about this, but Im starting to wonder about it too. last week was just said

I heard McCabe ****ed Ruddocks girlfriend.

It hasn't been right in 3 years. It's to damn easy to see what the issue is. Chew on this go and look at JVB last season at Iowa. JVB threw for 800 less yards and 18 less TD's but almost attempted and competed the same amount of passes from the 2011(KOK) to 2012 (GD) season. GD is an absolute JOKE!!!

We haven't been ranked in the top 25 in nearly four years. Haven't beat a ranked opponent in three years. All while playing some of the weakest schedules I've ever seen. I'd say something hasn't been right for quite some time.

We haven't been ranked in the top 25 in nearly four years. Haven't beat a ranked opponent in three years. All while playing some of the weakest schedules I've ever seen. I'd say something hasn't been right for quite some time.

Just need to clean some things up. That's football.

We weren't that good on offense last year. We were better than abomination that was 2012, but that's it. Nebraska game flukey. LSU totally shut down our offense. We did nothing. Same with MSU and Wisconsin. We caught OSU napping for a bit in the first half. ISU was tedious last year. Minnesota was tedious and used trickery. Michigan had the big play from T. Smith to get us over the hump.

I'd say the offense is pretty similar to last year actually. Defense is worse.

Yep. Team has absolutely no identity. This program hasn't been the same since Rhabdo. I don't know if it's the "Rhabdo" curse or what, but all consistency in the program went downhill since that time. It's kind of like Kurt's philosophy's doesn't work with Davis's offense. Something's amiss. Each of our last 3-4 QB's seem to have regressed with more time in the program. What does that tell you? The more embedded in the program, the worse they get. Is it from the coaches influence?

I literally saw our "All American" Scherff get bull rushed & pancaked by a much smaller Terp DE. He obviously has problems going against smaller & faster players. Unfortunately, in the NFL they will be the size of Scherff but also with the quickness. If I was an opposing team D coordinator, I'd put a smaller quicker defender on him. All-in-all, I think this O line is overrated.

This team has not had a 100 yrd rusher in any game this year. Not one.

Last week I started a thread about if Iowa had a wheelroute in it's playbook. We saw it early in the Maryland game & it went for like 53 yrds, but, we never saw it again after that. Why? There wasn't a guy within 25 yrd of Bullock on that play. Run it again. KF seems to think you can only run specialty plays once a game, I think.

I think KF really overthinks things instead of just letting the young men play loose. He wants every T crossed or I dotted & the guys play tight. Too tight for College football.

Last edited:
We weren't that good on offense last year. We were better than abomination that was 2012, but that's it. Nebraska game flukey. LSU totally shut down our offense. We did nothing. Same with MSU and Wisconsin. We caught OSU napping for a bit in the first half. ISU was tedious last year. Minnesota was tedious and used trickery. Michigan had the big play from T. Smith to get us over the hump.

I'd say the offense is pretty similar to last year actually. Defense is worse.

I agree. I never felt confident in our offense last year, although it was serviceable.

Yep. Team has absolutely no identity. This program hasn't been the same since Rhabdo. I don't know if it's the "Rhabdo" curse or what, but all consistency in the program went downhill since that time. It's kind of like Kurt's philosophy's doesn't work with Davis's offense. Something's amiss. Each of our last 3-4 QB's seem to have regressed with more time in the program. What does that tell you? The more embedded in the program, the worse they get. Is it from the coaches influence?

I literally saw our "All American" Scherff get bull rushed & pancaked by a much smaller Terp DE. He obviously has problems going against smaller & faster players. Unfortunately, in the NFL they will be the size of Scherff but also with the quickness. All-in-all, I think this O line is overrated.

This team has not had a 100 yrd rusher in any game this year. Not one.

Last week I started a thread about if Iowa had a wheelroute in it's playbook. We saw it early in the Maryland game & it went for like 53 yrds, but, we never saw it again after that. Why? There wasn't a guy within 25 yrd of Bullock on that play. Run it again. KF seems to think you can only run specialty plays once a game, I think.

I think KF really overthinks things instead of just letting the young men play loose. He wants every T crossed or I dotted & the guys play tight. Too tight for College football.

I think our player devolpment has never recovered from the rhabo incident. I also think we used to have a good mix of guys that would take 3-4 years to build up and guys that could come in and play at a high level a little bit sooner. Now its seems like we are going almost exclusively with guys that are 3-4 year projects.

After the OSU game, I think we averaged something like 6 points in the 2nd half of all games up until Michigan and Nebraska.

Seemed like every game was a 13-7, or 14-10 ballgame. Now last year we had 90mph winds for what seemed like every game we played in.

I think we all thought things were turning around with the last two games of the year where we put the games out of reach in the end (NE game took a fumble to swing momentum).

This offense has been garbage for a long time.

I think one key to the offense being so bad is JR seems to have gone backward. It's certainly not all on one player, but he seems to be over thinking everything all the time. He has shown flashes where he looks like the Jake that has a lot of potential, but mostly it's been pretty painful. It really reminds me of JVB. I thought he was going to be really good his senior season. It's hard not to point to the coaches when the last two starting QBs have regressed from year to year. If I were a QB or a receiver.......or really any skill position player other than a TE, I wouldn't come to Iowa as long as this coaching staff is in place.

I think Rudock's definition of "open" is not what it should be for a D1 qb. Hard to blame him with the receivers he through to in high school. You're just not going to see that separation consistently at this level.