Something just hasn't been right all year...

I've always been curious as to why so many fans thought Jake was going to make a huge leap from game manager to All Big Ten level this year when the last time we saw him on the field in 2013 vs LSU he looked anything but ready to take that step.

I've always been curious as to why so many fans thought Jake was going to make a huge leap from game manager to All Big Ten level this year when the last time we saw him on the field in 2013 vs LSU he looked anything but ready to take that step.
I didn't expect him to be All Big Ten level, but I also didn't expect him to go backwards.

It hasn't been right in 3 years. It's to damn easy to see what the issue is. Chew on this go and look at JVB last season at Iowa. JVB threw for 800 less yards and 18 less TD's but almost attempted and competed the same amount of passes from the 2011(KOK) to 2012 (GD) season. GD is an absolute JOKE!!!
Those are facts.
And who was it hired GDGD?
Kaptain Kautious

Agree that player development has taken a hit and believe it is the high attrition that bit hard for several years.

Think recruiting is not nearly as good as it was up to several years ago (with an exception here and there) - it used to be most of our recruits had other major offers. That has not been true for several years.

Wonder if Scherff came back too soon. Realize others have said it was not that serious of procedure but these people are not lining up against people who want to kill them.

When a program prides itself on being physical, running the ball, & shutting down the other team's running game and that identity is taken away by several teams and/or abandoned by the coaching staff it basically leaves you with what we see right now: a team without an identity.

The part that really stings is that Iowa really has some good pieces in place right now, plus a soft schedule & a weak overall conference. They're letting a golden opportunity slip through their hands.

Agree that player development has taken a hit and believe it is the high attrition that bit hard for several years.

Think recruiting is not nearly as good as it was up to several years ago (with an exception here and there) - it used to be most of our recruits had other major offers. That has not been true for several years.

I think recruiting is still an issue. We recruited pretty well from 2005 to 2007 then fell of a cliff in 2008. But guys like Ballard, Bulaga, Clayborn, Hunter, DJK, Edds, Nielson, Bernstine, and Binns were all well regarded recruits with multiple if not numerous BCS offers. You get some guys like that, then hit on player development like M. Daniels, Klug, McNutt, Stanzi, Tarpinian, to go along with decent contributions from in-state recruits, and we are good to go.

I don't think we are developing players at a worse rate; rather we are recruiting less sure things and less guys with higher athletic ceilings. Our defense is simply missing a few explosive, all-conference type players. This year we see it at LB, DE, and SS. Upgrade two of those 5 positions with NFL level talent and our defense would be very good. Currently, those positions provide replacement level quality.

Same thing on offense. Plug one or two high-end skill talent players and perhaps an interior o-linemen and we are off running.

We have to recruit a handful of higher end BCS-level recruits each year to give our development program just a little more margin for error.

It hasn't been right in 3 years. It's to damn easy to see what the issue is. Chew on this go and look at JVB last season at Iowa. JVB threw for 800 less yards and 18 less TD's but almost attempted and competed the same amount of passes from the 2011(KOK) to 2012 (GD) season. GD is an absolute JOKE!!!

I'm no fan of GD but come on JVB was horrible and it wasn't GD's fault.

I literally saw our "All American" Scherff get bull rushed & pancaked by a much smaller Terp DE.

In Scherff's defense, it's awfully hard to play with leverage against someone so short. I have seen footage of 5'10" Gary Thompson from ISU completely outplaying 7'1" Wilt Chamberlain at Kansas - Gary actually guarded Wilt in a box-and-one defense.

In Scherff's defense, it's awfully hard to play with leverage against someone so short. I have seen footage of 5'10" Gary Thompson from ISU completely outplaying 7'1" Wilt Chamberlain at Kansas - Gary actually guarded Wilt in a box-and-one defense.

Also, I wonder if Scherff's knee is 100%. He might not have the most leverage down there at the moment. Who knows.

This team has not had a 100 yrd rusher in any game this year. Not one.

We should have had two on Saturday but for some inexplicable reason we completely abandoned the run game. We ran the ball 8 times * 8 TIMES * in the second half! (Excluding Jake's 2 sacks and 2 scrambles for gain.) And ALL 8 were in the third quarter! That means we ran the ball 19 times in the first half. It still floors me that we abandoned the run game.

You know what the real joke is, everyone knew what Davis was and KF hired him anyway. He's exactly what UT fans said he was.

Whether KF wanted a pushover yes man or a place holder until Brian could take over or some other reason who knows, but it's clear the number one motivating factor behind this hire was not putting the most effective possible offense on the field.

KF is incredibly stubborn but not a dummy, he had some reason for this.

Last edited:
I didn't expect him to be All Big Ten level, but I also didn't expect him to go backwards.
Jake has stayed the same from last season. The defense has regressed from last season. Jake is still unable to make reads that make him more than just a game manager. He's had enough practice to complete some passing schemes when the defense plays prevent (which I guess makes Jake somewhat more than just a game manager). Davis asks Jake to do things Jake just can't do.

Does Davis dumb down his system for Jake or does Davis bring in CJB? Davis doesn't make that decision. That, in itself, is crazy. We saw how badly a dumbing down of Davis' system can go in games against Ball State and ISU.

Last edited:
You know what the real joke is, everyone knew what Davis was and KF hired him anyway. He's exactly what UT fans said he was.

Whether KF wanted a pushover yes man or a place holder until Brian could take over or some other reason who knows, but it's clear the number one motivating factor behind this hire was not putting the most effective possible offense on the field.

KF is incredibly stubborn but not a dummy, he had some reason for this.

I think it's a simple case of Kirk valuing a know commodity (even if that commodity isn't very good) over an unknown commodity where there is risk involved (even though there is only a small chance that the unknown commodity will actually turn out worse than the known one).

I think he shows that same trait when evaluating players. In his mind there is no risk in leaving the known commodity on the field. If they fail it's execution. If he replaces them with an unknown commodity and they fail, it's his fault.

To me, Kirk has lost any semblance of what he wants his teams to be. I think he hired GD as a way to appease the fans/ critics and to show that he could "evolve." But at the same time, he still believes that they need to run the ball, win the field position battle, and play solid defense. He often gets in his own way with his conflicting ideas.

I would rather he pick the pro-style offense and run the ball mixed with play-action than this crap that we are not well-suited to run. Let's get back to being the bullies of the B1G and start punching people in the mouth.