Somebody, tell me what a PG is.

Would it be true that only an "idiot and moron" could go 16-32 in close games? Difficult to be that bad, even on purpose.

Stat of the day:

Lil Lick had as much experience playing G in the Big Ten when he stepped on the court for the first time as a G as...

Our newly chosen/appointed OC had last year as an OC when the first game started in the fall.

Both appointed by pops...with resultant nepotistic numbers...

Good job by Fran to get his team close in so many games vs. athletically more talented teams.
That stat includes OOC schedule and bottom half BIG teams. If you're arguing that every team on the schedule is more athletically talented....then I see no reason for you to want to keep Fran around.

Took Fran to year 6 to finally win an OT game.. lmao 0-8... My goodness.. and 4 of those don't show up in the 4 points of less category because we ended up losing by more.. Fran is truly the magic man when it comes to closing the deal. :cool::cool::p

Last edited:
Would it be true that only an "idiot and moron" could go 16-32 in close games? Difficult to be that bad, even on purpose.

Well since the best a coach can do is improve odds of winning a close game, it's possible that the best close game coach in the world could be unlucky enough to go 0-48 even. Obviously the odds are greatly against it. But when a stat has so much luck involved, you never know.

Found it. His record at Iowa for 4 points or less is 16-32. There was one more loss by 4 points after I posted these stats.

https://hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/how-many-teams-lose-games-where.82388/#post-1697390
If you believe that the two most important attributes needed to win close games are toughness and intelligence that record kind of speaks volumes about our supply of both. Lightning brought up a stat of 22-49 in games six points or less. Just two extra wins a year would have made that record a reasonable 38-33 and would have made a huge impact in conference standings, RPI, etc.

That stat includes OOC schedule and bottom half BIG teams. If you're arguing that every team on the schedule is more athletically talented....then I see no reason for you to want to keep Fran around.

I wish he would recruit more athletic players. When Fran did have success a few years ago, and Iowa was finishing 12-6 and such I thought he squeezed out better results than the talent he had to acquire such results. It's a double-edged sword.

Last year, he squeezed out about nothing.

Found it. His record at Iowa for 4 points or less is 16-32. There was one more loss by 4 points after I posted these stats.

https://hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/how-many-teams-lose-games-where.82388/#post-1697390
Talking on a previous thread about Iowa's performance in close games, I wondered aloud what Bo Ryan's record was in those games.

I looked it up last night and you better have a strong stomach to continue reading. Using Lightning's criteria of games decided by six points or less, Bo's record at Wisconsin was 84-55.

And you wonder why they made the dance every year. And had some nice runs when they got there. And why they never finished lower than fourth in the BIG.

I didn't have the heart, or the stomach, to look up his record in overtime games.

Give our current man another year, fine. (And it's going to be more than that thanks to our AD.) Just remember that .309 vs .604 is what you have on your sideline when the game is on the line. And a fair sample size.

Last edited:
Talking on a previous thread about Iowa's performance in close games, I wondered aloud what Bo Ryan's record was in those games.

I looked it up last night and you better have a strong stomach to continue reading. Using Lightning's criteria of games decided by six points or less, Bo's record at Wisconsin was 84-55.

And you wonder why they made the dance every year. And had some nice runs when they got there. And why they never finished lower than fourth in the BIG.

I didn't have the heart, or the stomach, to look up his record in overtime games.

Give our current man another year, fine. (And it's going to be more than that thanks to our AD.) Just remember that .309 vs .604 is what you have on your sideline when the game is on the line. And a fair sample size.
Thank you. Luck doesn't have much to do with it. Good guard play. Good defense. Those things have something to do with it. 2 of the components missing in the Fran McCaffery tenure at Iowa.

I’ve never understood the Bohannon isn’t a PG take.

PGs come in many different versions now. JBo is a good passer and creates in a different way by spacing the floor because of his shooting.

Now because JBo isn’t your drive and create guy, we need Moss or Weiskamp to be able to take the ball late and be able to create and get their own shot.

JBos issue is defense which has nothing to do with the position he plays on offense.

I was thinking the same thing, it is just one of those talking points, and personally, it's easier to understand the other viewpoint when you have a solid base.

Most of the replies seem to imply that if you're not one of the best pg's that ever played at Iowa or in the NBA, then you aren't a PG.

I wish he would recruit more athletic players. When Fran did have success a few years ago, and Iowa was finishing 12-6 and such I thought he squeezed out better results than the talent he had to acquire such results. It's a double-edged sword.

Last year, he squeezed out about nothing.
We had nothing in the senior class. We had one role player (Baer) in the junior class. Since Iowa doesn't get the one and done players we have to have upperclassmen. We will have a lot of them next year. And they know now that scoring a lot of points isn't enough. The guys that don't understand this and don't start to take pride in their defense clearly don't get it IMO...and will have to "get it" while watching from the bench.

All I will say is this. Anyone that thought last season was hard to watch should think about how last season looks without Bohannon...and the season before for that matter. And he was only a sophomore. Players have actually been known to improve as their career progresses. I definitely want him on the floor...and at the line when it's time to close out a game.