Somebody, tell me what a PG is.

It starts and ends here. Everything all wrapped up in one. In my opinion, the greatest basketball player to ever lace them up. He did everything and had less of what other great players had o'plenty...selfishness.

76b55f4db78f2f6b8f42a4ef29575cea.jpg
He's definitely on the Mount Rushmore. For GOAT, any player. Three championships at different levels in four years may never be duplicated. I do want to qualify your statement, however, because Magic seldom defended the other team's point guard once he got a couple years in the league. Offensive point guard, unselfish with off the charts court vision and competitive juices, absolutely the best ever. Good enough shooter, facilitator on the break, rebounder. And he was a great finisher when he had to be. He extended Kareem's career at least five years. But as a pure two way point guard who took on the demanding challenge of defending the other team's point the best of his era may have been Philly's Maurice Cheeks.

Wow...Mo Cheeks huh. Definitely a solid choice, but if you want to go from that era...I'd have to take Dennis Johnson. Won in Seattle and in Boston. DJ, especially early in his career was an incredible defensive guard. He also hit big shots. Cheeks didn't win enough championships and he had a pretty spectacular supporting cast...just my opinion.

DJ was absolutely a solid two way guard and like you mentioned, a big game performer. He was, for the era, a big physical point guard, a Gary Payton type.

Why Philly didn't win more is one of the great NBA mysteries and you may have partially answered that question when you brought up Dennis Johnson. Boston brought him in to neutralize Philly's backcourt as much as anything else. I will say this, however. Philly's "fo, fo, fo" championship team was, for one season, better than anything either Boston or Los Angeles did in the eighties. Very similar, in that regard, to the 1985 Bears or 1986 Mets, two other teams who are criticized for not winning more often.

Philadelphia was in great position to win it in 1980 after Kareem went down in game five with a sprained ankle. Magic as a rookie who would otherwise still been a junior in college came out in game six with one of the all time performances. Playing all five positions on the floor at one time or another, he put up 42 and 15 and still found enough time and energy to make sure Jamaal Wilkes got 37. Not even Michael Jordan did something like that, not as a twenty one year old rookie anyway. That was an Oscar Robertson type performance.

Last edited:
t
I’ve never understood the Bohannon isn’t a PG take.

PGs come in many different versions now. JBo is a good passer and creates in a different way by spacing the floor because of his shooting.

Now because JBo isn’t your drive and create guy, we need Moss or Weiskamp to be able to take the ball late and be able to create and get their own shot.

JBos issue is defense which has nothing to do with the position he plays on offense.

Wow! You couldn't be more wrong.. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

A point guard is defined as someone who will never come and play and play a significant role at Iowa

Also, if you watch today's nba...its all about court spacing. Every team spreads the court to the extreme to create spacing for slashers and pick/rolls. It's all designed around the man with the ball being able to draw in defenders for the kickout... or take their man to the hole...or create their own shot 1 on 1 vs the defender.

Bohannon cant do any of those things. He is an elite shooter, hes pretty solid taking care of the ball and entering the ball into the post. However those skills really aren't what is required for today's point guards.

You could negate JBO’s inability to get into the lane with good ball movement and spacing. Watch Golden St. or San Antonio when they are rolling. The ball barely touches the floor once Parker/Curry cross the mid court line. They can get into the lane anytime they want, but they don’t have to 90% of the time. Dribble drive penetration isn’t the only way to initiate/create offense.

Even if JBO was that guy the entire roster consists of guys who can’t get their own shot. You are still dealing with spot up shooters who have to hit shots.

I'm not wrong about it. The fact that you don't like it, is of no consequence to me. That's a you problem.

Not butthurt about it. Referring to him as 1/2 a B1G guard sounds like you are talking about Lick’s kid. It is no consequence to me either, you will say one thing and I will say another and the world will keep on spinning.

Not butthurt about it. Referring to him as 1/2 a B1G guard sounds like you are talking about Lick’s kid. It is no consequence to me either, you will say one thing and I will say another and the world will keep on spinning.
Lil lick should have worn uniform number 1/2. I still can't get over that picture of him and Purdue's Chris Kramer. Chris was a normal size 6'3" 6'4" guard and Lick made him look like Luka Garza by comparison.

Reactions: trj
Lick's kid?????? 1/10th of a Big Ten guard. Maybe.

JBo is no scrub. I know you and I agree on this. Hell, folks, JBo is playing out of position but he gave 100% of everything he had and tried to find more. The kid deserves respect. And, oh by the way, he IS an elite shooter. Folks need to learn to separate a critique from a criticism. at talk about it from an x's and o's point of view instead of an attack on the kid.

CORRECT!!!!

Disagree. I think Connor will be more efficient and execute the offense better late in games. Think about the times where Gesell/JBo were dribbling the basketball with no where to go with it, with a chance to tie or take the lead.

We are going to find out if Fran is truly a choking dog late in games. Because his son will have the ball in his hands and JBo will be running the baseline off screens.

Defensively, Conner doesn’t bring much to the table, unless he can get people in the right spot. And you have to be an alpha dog to be that guy. Being that guy on the same team that your father coaches ain’t easy. It can be done, it is not easy, though.

What you mean we going to find out? Shit that dog been choking for 8 years?? Not like this just started happening recently, it existed since DAY 1.. Fran Is the worst end game close game coach I’ve seen at Iowa and IMO it’s not even close..

What you mean we going to find out? Shit that dog been choking for 8 years?? Not like this just started happening recently, it existed since DAY 1.. Fran Is the worst end game close game coach I’ve seen at Iowa and IMO it’s not even close..
That horse is out the barn and down the damn road. He's doo doo. Only thing we'll find out now, is how far the acorn fell from the tree.

So the standard is the last 2 Iowa coaches? Lol, think about what you are saying.

So the standard is the last 2 Iowa coaches? Lol, think about what you are saying.

Fran is the worst coach I’ve ever seen in close games at Iowa and like I said it’s not even close. I would put the over/under at 30 losses on games decided by 4 games or less under Fran. And say OVER without batting an eye!!

Fran is the worst coach I’ve ever seen in close games at Iowa and like I said it’s not even close. I would put the over/under at 30 losses on games decided by 4 games or less under Fran. And say OVER without batting an eye!!
I think I researched this stat before and it wasn't pretty. It's in a thread somewhere...

He's definitely on the Mount Rushmore. For GOAT, any player. Three championships at different levels in four years may never be duplicated. I do want to qualify your statement, however, because Magic seldom defended the other team's point guard once he got a couple years in the league. Offensive point guard, unselfish with off the charts court vision and competitive juices, absolutely the best ever. Good enough shooter, facilitator on the break, rebounder. And he was a great finisher when he had to be. He extended Kareem's career at least five years. But as a pure two way point guard who took on the demanding challenge of defending the other team's point the best of his era may have been Philly's Maurice Cheeks.
Jalen Rose didn't always guard the other team's PG at Michigan either. You can get away with it when you have skilled and big PGs. Both Jalen and Magic were good PG in the more traditional sense. Both could guard the SF position adequately enough to not be a liability.

You could negate JBO’s inability to get into the lane with good ball movement and spacing. Watch Golden St. or San Antonio when they are rolling. The ball barely touches the floor once Parker/Curry cross the mid court line. They can get into the lane anytime they want, but they don’t have to 90% of the time. Dribble drive penetration isn’t the only way to initiate/create offense.

Even if JBO was that guy the entire roster consists of guys who can’t get their own shot. You are still dealing with spot up shooters who have to hit shots.
And the majority of the players have to have high basketball IQs, for that to work well.