Some things you youngsters will never get!

I remember wearing bread bags over my shoes.
I remember when teams used to average more than 70 pts. in a college basketball game.
I remember the Bob Commings era when we were an absolute joke in football.

Kids used to spend THE ENTIRE DAY playing outside. Even in the winter. We organized our own games. There were no "traveling teams". Sometimes we got in fights and we solved our own problems. Nobody got sued over it.

I remember the Big Peach. The use of several photographs to show the progression of a play.
Ron Gonder calling Iowa FB and BB games.
The Miller 6 Pack, which would beat the current Iowa squad by 40 points.
The '60s Batman TV show's original run.
Milkshake candy bars.
Ice cream cones for a nickel.
And I still have a rotary phone downstairs!
3 TV channels.

Good grief. I remember all of the stuff posted on this thread and could go back even further. I think I am old. Anyway, thanks for this thread; it was really fun to read!

There used to be a time it was against the rules to dunk. (Certainly took me off my game.)

IIRC, the dunk came back to college b-ball right after the 1976 Indiana-Michigan NCAA title game? I think I remember reading the dunk was "outlawed' to counter Lew Alcindor (now known as Kareem Abdul Jabbar).

I remember a commercial where as soon as the person bit into a piece of bread with butter on it a crown would appear on their head. But it wasn't butter, it was Imperial margarine.

I remember a commercial where they would mount an odd bicycle tire on the back of a car and measure MPG, before MPG became cool. Shell Platformate.

I remember walking to school, with a group of guys from the neighborhood, in the snow, and the wind blew hard, we'd turn around and walk backwards.

I remember the Big Peach. The use of several photographs to show the progression of a play.
Milkshake candy bars.
3 TV channels.

Somewhere--not in "the cloud"--I have The Big Peach for the Sunday after we beat Minnesota in 1985 to "clinch" the Rose Bowl berth. The sports editorial was on Joe Theismann's broken leg suffered at the hands (more accurately the power) of Lawrence Taylor. They "circled" it on the photo. Gruesome.

Milkshake candy bars.
3 TV channels.

I remember when the Register had to fly the film back to Des Moines to be developed and printed after the game. Hence the "Photo by plane" in the corner.
I remember when people used to use the word "hence."

I remember when the Register had to fly the film back to Des Moines to be developed and printed after the game. Hence the "Photo by plane" in the corner.
I remember when people used to use the word "hence."

[video=youtube;HuFOma7LR5Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuFOma7LR5Y[/video]

:p

I remember when kids had to walk 10 miles to school, in 12 feet of snow, backwards, with plastic bags over their feet.:)

Once upon a time, women had to pass the ball after three dribbles.
Tuesday was "ladies day" at the Jiffy Lube on the Coralville strip.
Iowa was the first team that I ever saw have wings on the shoulders of their jerseys (early 90s) They were considered ugly at the time.

That was only in Iowa girls basketball. And they couldn't cross the half-court line. They played with six players per team - three always on offense and three always on defense. Of course, Kansas played with five players but only one player per team could cross the half-court line; the other two were permanently on offense or defense. The rest of the country played as they do now.

There also was a time where there was no 3 point shot. I also am pretty sure there was no shot clock once upon a time.

There WAS a shot clock in the women's college game long before the men's game. My wife played for Wartburg and even then, in the mid-70's they had a 30 second shot clock.

That was only in Iowa girls basketball. And they couldn't cross the half-court line. They played with six players per team - three always on offense and three always on defense. Of course, Kansas played with five players but only one player per team could cross the half-court line; the other two were permanently on offense or defense. The rest of the country played as they do now.

Actually, Oklahoma also played 6 on 6 girls basketball. They actually played it more recently than Iowa.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/women-playing-where-6-on-6-ruled/?_r=0

Alas, after decades of resistance, six-on-six basketball disappeared from Iowa high schools in 1993 in Iowa and from Oklahoma in 1995. The end in Iowa came after lawsuits were filed, complaining that the rules put girls at a disadvantage in gaining scholarships to play conventional five-on-five basketball in college, Jensen and others said.

Sorry Lightning, but 6 on 6 basketball required the girls to pass after two dribbles plus they couldn't reach in to tie the ball up unless the offensive player was in the lane.

And most of the top girls would shoot 90% plus from the free throw line.

1968 Girls Championship game was greatest 6 on 6 game ever played. If you've never heard of it, look it up, it's worth it!!!

Yeah, it was a great game. The all-time name for Iowa Girls' Basketball is the gal from Moravia (not Machine Gun Molly Bolin!) who led them to the '72 tournament. Hope I don't get banned for typing her name: Fonda Dix. (That really was her name, you can look it up here.)

You are right about Fonda, 78. In fact the headline in the Register was, Fonda Dix Top Scorer in Iowa. I mean no offense, just think it was funny; and, her parents ought to be imprisoned.

I remember when the New England Patriots were one of the worst teams in the NFL........ Go Cubs!!! :)

Latest posts