Some things you youngsters will never get!

I remember when, after the 6th defensive foul in the NBA, a shooter got 3 free throws to make 2. If he made the first 2, he didn't get a third, but if he missed either of the first 2, he got a third.

*Above facts were from memory. Please correct if I have something wrong. Too lazy to Google tonight.

I think, once in the "bonus", all 2-shot fouls became 3-to-make-2.

We might as well keep this thread going until football starts. Unless Kirk announces that he's throwing away the playbook and replaces it with CJ and Tevaun playing catch all season, is there really anything else to talk about?

I remember when my dad referred to girls 6 on 6 basketball as 'Bounce-Bounce-Pass'.

I remember when Fonda Dicks married Randy Peters.

I remember when we had a milkman. He would deliver milk in glass bottles and drop them off in a metal box on the front porch. Was that sanitary? It was my job to put the empties back in the box to be picked up.

I remember grocery shopping at Warehouse Market in Muscatine. We pushed around huge, flat carts and shoppers had to write the price on each item with a red crayon. Not easy to do on a bag of frozen vegetables.

I remember when we had the cursive 'Iowa' on our helmets and Tom Rusk from Dubuque was our best player.

I remember when it was a big deal to beat Northwestern and the Scottish Highlanders (a band of old men playing drums and bagpipes) at halftime were often the highlight of the Kinnick gameday experience.

I remember when games got boring, I would try to catch whiffs of pipe smoke from the old man down the row.

I remember when Hayden had is prostate fixed. After the procedure, he said he could pee over his pickup truck.

I remember when our linemen wore white, hi-top Pony basketball shoes on AstroTurf.

I remember when one of our offensive linemen would use a strap to pull the toe of his shoe up toward his shin and kicked straight-away super-toe style on kickoffs (Jon Roehlk from Durant).

I remember when the Tigerhawk logo first came out. For the life of her, my aunt couldn't see the hawk in it. She could only see Fred Flintstone. She was actually right. Turn the logo sideways so the feathers are facing up and the beak is facing down. Cover up the beak and there's his profile. The feathers are his bangs. If you can't see him, you're not trying hard enough.

I remember listening to a football pre-game radio show against Purdue, when Dolph and Bob Brooks were talking about how to contain their QB, Billy Dicken. The week before, Iowa struggled against Penn State running back, Curtis Enis. At the end of the conversation, Brooks said, 'Dolph, I'd rather have an Enis than a Dicken.' Dolph absolutely lost it and couldn't talk without laughing for the next two segments.

Ok, that's enough. Next?

I've got a feeling someone took doclee's password that he posted and may be having some "fun" with it? :confused:

Technically speaking, Shirley Jones was the oldest "girl" And she was hotter than Susan Dey. Probably still is.
That's colloquial terminology, Bob, for folks living in SE Iowa (where I was born). Us SE Iowans refer to the children of family members as girl(s) or boy(s). For example, the Partridge family had 2 girls and 2 boys and Susan Dey played the oldest 'girl' on the Partridge family (of which Shirley Jones played mom). Don't get them in a bunch (that's another colloquialism).

Was Shirley Jones prettier than Susan Dey? That's pretty relative, don't you think? Depends on which features you like? Depends if you want to compare them as adults.. or teenagers? I don't think Shirley Jones is still prettier than Susan Dey because Shirley Jones(and Farrah Fawcett) are dead (rest their souls).

Last edited:
I've got a feeling someone took doclee's password that he posted and may be having some "fun" with it? :confused:

Lol...roflmao...after looking at his profile and the exchange of info in the thread he stupidly started AND seeing him actually send his password info out to the world in a visitor message, NOT a PM, LOL...he has opened Pandoras Box...now we all got a new alt when we need one. (until someone grabs it and changes PW of course, or JD closes it). Classic.

That's colloquial terminology, Bob, for folks living in SE Iowa (where I was born). Us SE Iowans refer to the children of family members as girl(s) or boy(s). For example, the Partridge family had 2 girls and 2 boys and Susan Dey played the oldest 'girl' on the Partridge family (of which Shirley Jones played mom). Don't get them in a bunch (that's another colloquialism).

Was Shirley Jones prettier than Susan Dey? That's pretty relative, don't you think? Depends on which features you like? Depends if you want to compare them as adults.. or teenagers? I don't think Shirley Jones is still prettier than Susan Dey because Shirley Jones(and Farrah Fawcett) are dead (rest their souls).

Um, Shirley Jones is still alive.

Latest posts