Some things you youngsters will never get!

hawkeyebob62

A post in the T Smith thread fleshed this out. See, you millennial types will NEVER get certain things. Notably:

--Some of us remember when the $EC Network was called "ESPN"
--Some of us remember when the Big XII actually had 12 teams
--Did you know there used to be a Big 8?
--REALLY old school: there was once a Pac 8. Seriously
--At one time, the B1G was actually the Big Ten. And it only had 11 teams.
--WAY long ago, there was a conference called the Big 10. It had 10 teams.
--Penn State used to be an "independent"
--Nebraska was in the Big 8
--The $EC used to take academics seriously. Just kidding! :)
--Before Nike, Oregon was pretty darn average
--BYU once won a mythical National Championship and at the time, nobody knew a thing about Boise State
--Before Iowa was poaching MAC recruits, they poached a MAC coach

There also was a time where there was no 3 point shot. I also am pretty sure there was no shot clock once upon a time.

Other tidbits:
--Bruce Jenner used to be an athlete
--Bruce Jenner used to be a guy
--Before there was a shot clock or a 3-point line, a basketballer (once called a "cager") shot into a peach basket hung on a wall

Once upon a time, women had to pass the ball after three dribbles.
Tuesday was "ladies day" at the Jiffy Lube on the Coralville strip.
Iowa was the first team that I ever saw have wings on the shoulders of their jerseys (early 90s) They were considered ugly at the time.
GetContent1.jpg

Iowa was the first team that I ever saw have wings on the shoulders of their jerseys (early 90s) They were considered ugly at the time.
GetContent1.jpg

Scary that jersey is "old school" to present-day students. Strange to think we were Oregon before Oregon was Oregon!

There used to be a time it was against the rules to dunk. (Certainly took me off my game.)

A post in the T Smith thread fleshed this out. See, you millennial types will NEVER get certain things. Notably:

--Some of us remember when the $EC Network was called "ESPN"
--Some of us remember when the Big XII actually had 12 teams
--Did you know there used to be a Big 8?
--REALLY old school: there was once a Pac 8. Seriously
--At one time, the B1G was actually the Big Ten. And it only had 11 teams.
--WAY long ago, there was a conference called the Big 10. It had 10 teams.
--Penn State used to be an "independent"
--Nebraska was in the Big 8
--The $EC used to take academics seriously. Just kidding! :)
--Before Nike, Oregon was pretty darn average
--BYU once won a mythical National Championship and at the time, nobody knew a thing about Boise State
--Before Iowa was poaching MAC recruits, they poached a MAC coach

Your point, what is it?

I remember when Farrah Fawcett and Susan Dey were the hottest thing since a long a$$ time ago....;)

GetContent1.jpg

Sorry Lightning, but 6 on 6 basketball required the girls to pass after two dribbles plus they couldn't reach in to tie the ball up unless the offensive player was in the lane.

And most of the top girls would shoot 90% plus from the free throw line.

1968 Girls Championship game was greatest 6 on 6 game ever played. If you've never heard of it, look it up, it's worth it!!!

I remember when Farrah Fawcett and Susan Dey were the hottest thing since a long a$$ time ago....;)

And the young Linda Evans and many other ladies of the late 60's and 70's.

Yes, as the OP is saying there has been a ton of change but that goes to all parts of life. We could create a list that had:

1. there were only rotary telephones
2. Only black and white TV
3. TV and radio tubes and no transistors or digital switches

but I dont think youngsters should be held accountable to not knowing the history of football.

I remember Paul Boettcher as the pioneer on recruiting news for Hawk fans via a newsletter he started back in the 80s. Always enjoyed getting that goldenrod piece in the mail. Technology came along and later allowed users to also dial in to a phone recording for updates for a fee. :) He was ahead of his time.

I also remember when we were going for 16 in a row against the Clones. Boy have things changed on both fronts.

Before there was a Big 8, there was a Southwestern Conference: UT, Ark, TT, TCU, Baylor, TAMU and SMU. And gasoline used to be $.10 a gallon.

Latest posts