Some telling offensive stats

skinnykilmer17

per Tom Kakert:

Iowa hasn't completed a pass that has gone 20 yards in the air in the past three games.

Iowa has had only 4 running plays that have gained 20 yards or more.
All season.

Stanley is horribly inaccurate on long throws which is probably the biggest reason I can't throw full support behind him. That overthrow of Hockenson in the Penn State game was unacceptable.

That wasn't even a long throw. Stanley is inaccurate the majority of the time. Look where our receivers are catching the ball, and some of the great catches they've made this year. How many times have guys had to stop/slow down/tackled immediately bc of Stanley's inability to hit the receiver in stride? With Iowas normally challenged offense that's leaving a decent amount of points on the field. And when you play Kirk Ball every possession/chance to put pts up is critical.

That wasn't even a long throw. Stanley is inaccurate the majority of the time. Look where our receivers are catching the ball, and some of the great catches they've made this year. How many times have guys had to stop/slow down/tackled immediately bc of Stanley's inability to hit the receiver in stride? With Iowas normally challenged offense that's leaving a decent amount of points on the field. And when you play Kirk Ball every possession/chance to put pts up is critical.
His ball placement is not good.

Agree on his inaccuracy, but then he turns around and makes unbelievable throws. It's the latter that makes the prior so confounding and frustrating. He's 82nd (out of 117, bottom 30%) in completion percentage at 57.2%; Iowa needed a bigger improvement in his completion percentage this year, since they can only rely on his arm, not his legs for yards. They haven't gotten it. It's part of why they're 6-3 this year - inconsistent results.

What is unfortunate is we a leave a lot of positive yards on the field because we have a one-dimensional quarterback. Not really where college ball is right now. We all watch games on Saturday and see teams that are much more dangerous with their mobile quarterbacks.

The few times Nate has run it he has gained some yards. It just doesn't come naturally for him and not part of the offense.

It well never happen, and I am not advocating a platoon system, but I would love to see Mansell get 3-4 series a game to give the D something more to think about.

But I still have a gut feeling Petras is KF and KOK's next guy. We will see where they are on the spring depth chart...

The game is just a hair ahead of him still.
He needs to just remember it's like hunting and knowing how far to lead the target by. Or like casting a fishing pole and knowing right when to release. Which coincidentally is like the throwing motion.
If you know you are not leading the target enough, you make a mental note of that and adjust.
He was throwing way behind at the beginning of the season and has gotten better. But, he just needs to push that a little further. Find the sweet spot where you are almost over throwing them. Because if it's catchable, lot's of times a DB will foul, because if he's beat and only the wr can catch it..........

It well never happen, and I am not advocating a platoon system, but I would love to see Mansell get 3-4 series a game to give the D something more to think about.

But I still have a gut feeling Petras is KF and KOK's next guy. We will see where they are on the spring depth chart...

Mansell has not impressed me when he has gotten snaps; I'd rather see Petras back there

Mansell has not impressed me when he has gotten snaps; I'd rather see Petras back there
If the only time you saw Stanley play was this year's game against Penn St, would you be impressed?

Btw, these are Mansell's stats so far in extremely limited time:

Passing: 4 of 6 for 64 yards. One interception.
Rushing: 7 carries for 24yds.

Last edited:
Stanley is horribly inaccurate on long throws which is probably the biggest reason I can't throw full support behind him. That overthrow of Hockenson in the Penn State game was unacceptable.
True but the other issue may be that the WR group can’t stretch the field.

giphy.gif

Still hard to believe he threw it that badly.
In all fairness, it took awhile to get through traffic, which affected it, but also notice that as soon as he got through traffic, he was looking for the ball and not even up to speed.
The play is designed for a lofting throw over a crowded box, which is easy to sail anyway.
More bad timing than a bad throw.
Both are to blame. You don't start turning to look for the ball 5yards after the Los when the play is a lofting throw designed for 15 yards.
Again enough blame for everyone.

In all fairness, it took awhile to get through traffic, which affected it, but also notice that as soon as he got through traffic, he was looking for the ball and not even up to speed.
The play is designed for a lofting throw over a crowded box, which is easy to sail anyway.
Both are to blame. You don't start turning to look for the ball 5yards after the Los when the play is a lofting throw designed for 15 yards.
Yeah but this throw was book-ended but throws at the feet and behind every target. Nate Stanley didn't complete another pass until Iowa's last possession of the half. This throw was with over 12 minutes left. Context matters and in this case it makes this pass look worse for Stanley, not better.

Can't agree with you on this. Taking time to get through the traffic is what made him come so wide open. I'd say Hockenson looked back to see if anyone was following him, not looking for the ball. But it doesn't matter who is correct about that. Stanley had time to adjust, but again his throwing mechanics were not that good. He didn't need to, but he rushed the throw. There wasn't a PSU defender within 10 yards of Hockenson, and Stanley missed him by 5+ yards. 21-7 at that point, game changer.

Can't agree with you on this. Taking time to get through the traffic is what made him come so wide open. I'd say Hockenson looked back to see if anyone was following him, not looking for the ball. But it doesn't matter who is correct about that. Stanley had time to adjust, but again his throwing mechanics were not that good. He didn't need to, but he rushed the throw. There wasn't a PSU defender within 10 yards of Hockenson, and Stanley missed him by 5+ yards. 21-7 at that point, game changer.
He was throwing to a place or spot. Just as everyone has said and asked him to do.
Getting through traffic late is the same as getting jammed, it affects timing. Also who cares if someone was following? Was he going to turn around and go back to the Los? If someone was following that's even more reason to pour on the speed once through traffic and get separation.
I'm not saying the throw was great, that's not my point, just saying there is enough that went wrong in several places to make the play break down.

And pivotal to the entire season.

Nowadays with the CFP and the conference championships, there’s no “average” season anymore. Used to be before the CFP and CCGs got so important that people were ok with 3rd, 4th, 5th in their respective conference and a decent bowl game, because if you weren’t the absolute best you had no shot at a title anyway, and it was chosen by a bunch of reporters.

Now, as soon as a conf. title is out of reach the season is a failure, and in some respects I believe it’s rightly so. It’s all or nothing in today’s college football world, and you might as well embrace it because it’s not going to change. If you want call a 7-5 season with a no-name bowl win good enough you’ll have to take your seat at the homer table.

15 years ago no one would have gotten worked up about one or two game changing plays but now it’s the difference between having a chance at greatness and being a bottom feeder...quite literally. We have to either play something close to perfect football or go home.