Some basketball talk?

I think at some point we go to 20 B1G games yeah, so keeping in mind I don't know when that happens, I don't consider 5-13 or 6-12 to be a real improvement even though its technically better. Like going from 4-8 to 5-7 in football. You still suck either way so who cares?

Oh I agree with that - and the B1G goes to 20 games THIS season. I wouldn't consider 5 or 6 wins much improvement but it would be if only slight. I wouldn't care because we would still suck and that would suck. My gripe with the OP of that statement was that he didn't expect any improvement this season. None. Because of the 1 spot. In my opinion, that would be pretty hard to accomplish and could only spell 1 thing, the coaching staff needs to go. I keep hearing that Iowa won't let go of Fran because of the contract. If they have another 4 win B1G season, they will be happy to pay whatever it costs to get rid of that. They had that quick of a hook with Lick. The athletic department is about making money and they've proven they will spend it to make it. - Barta would be gone and a new AD would be in to replace Fran. So, maybe that's what a lot of you secretly hope for.

I just don't know or remember a team that had 3 four star players on the court at the same time. I mean, I am sure there were in the 80's - maybe Steve had that? But it's been a long time. If Iowa can't win with this team and talent, they need a new coach. Fran gets this year in my book, and NIT or coming close isn't gonna cut it.

Our problems last year are easy to fix. All they have to do is focus on defense and try really hard on defense. If they do that, there will be a huge improvement.

Oh I agree with that - and the B1G goes to 20 games THIS season. I wouldn't consider 5 or 6 wins much improvement but it would be if only slight. I wouldn't care because we would still suck and that would suck. My gripe with the OP of that statement was that he didn't expect any improvement this season. None. Because of the 1 spot. In my opinion, that would be pretty hard to accomplish and could only spell 1 thing, the coaching staff needs to go. I keep hearing that Iowa won't let go of Fran because of the contract. If they have another 4 win B1G season, they will be happy to pay whatever it costs to get rid of that. They had that quick of a hook with Lick. The athletic department is about making money and they've proven they will spend it to make it. - Barta would be gone and a new AD would be in to replace Fran. So, maybe that's what a lot of you secretly hope for.

I just don't know or remember a team that had 3 four star players on the court at the same time. I mean, I am sure there were in the 80's - maybe Steve had that? But it's been a long time. If Iowa can't win with this team and talent, they need a new coach. Fran gets this year in my book, and NIT or coming close isn't gonna cut it.
You also need the conference to overall be stronger. Teams like Wisconsin and Minnesota have to be better. Or someone is going to get screwed, like Nebraska did last year. You don't want the be the fifth place team when the NCAA is only taking four from your conference.

What would really help Iowa's, and Fran's, cause is to get on a serious run in the conference tournament. Fran hasn't come close to doing that yet. It hasn't happened here since Stevie Brylcreem was our coach.

I haven’t been less excited for an Iowa basketball season since the Lackluster era. I just don’t see us improving from last year.
I fully understand that thinking. For some reason I am somewhat optimistic about upcoming season. I just hope Fran finally stops trying to play everybody .

giphy.gif
I imagine they'll allow beer sales in this "VIP" section?

Just heard tragic news. LSU men's basketball player Wayde Sims was fatally shot during an altercation at southern University in Baton Rouge.

Here's the Iowa connection to this. Former Dubuque Wahlert prep Greg Heiar is an assistant coach at LSU, in his third year after holding a similiar post at Wichita State (which is how they found out about Cordell Pemsl so early). Greg graduated from Wahlert in 1994, meaning some of you out there may have played against him.

well, you gotta have some context with this - one is a posed picture in the weight room with them all flexing, dudes standing on top of benches and taken with a pro camera in good light- Iowa's looks like it was after they just all went for a long run, in poor light taken on an Iphone.

That said - WI has a lot of big dudes on the roster right now.

Something like that... If you take a pic of me after playing ball, then one after working out. And it is night and day. The chics would definitely take the latter!

Latest posts