Some basketball talk?

They do look like they could push Jordan around and I get that they're big and that's exciting and all and we hate Iowa because they're our team and Wisconsin is flexing in the weight room and we're small and all of that. But Iowa's been fairly bad at basketball since Jordan's got here and I think they are 2-0 vs Wisci and Jordan averages 12 pts, 8 assists to 2 turnovers in those games. So, I am not saying your wrong, they can probably push Jordan around, but count me as one not gushing over it.
Jordan also has a game winner vs Wisconsin, at Madison no less. But the strength that their guards possess year year out is a huge factor in their success and in their ability to both legally and illegally push opposing guards around.

Look at the matchups between Gabe Olesaini and Nigel Hayes, especially the one that led to the eruption of Mount McCaffrey in Madison. From a physical standpoint, especially in lower body strength, they were mismatchups.

They do look like they could push Jordan around and I get that they're big and that's exciting and all and we hate Iowa because they're our team and Wisconsin is flexing in the weight room and we're small and all of that. But Iowa's been fairly bad at basketball since Jordan's got here and I think they are 2-0 vs Wisci and Jordan averages 12 pts, 8 assists to 2 turnovers in those games. So, I am not saying your wrong, they can probably push Jordan around, but count me as one not gushing over it.
Relax. I actually like our team for the most part just think it’s going to come down to Fran pushing the right buttons and the players buying in.

I wasn’t really gushing over it, I was just pointing out who is who in the photo for another poster. Strength isn’t the end all be all in basketball, ask Kevin Durant.

Relax. I actually like our team for the most part just think it’s going to come down to Fran pushing the right buttons and the players buying in.

I wasn’t really gushing over it, I was just pointing out who is who in the photo for another poster. Strength isn’t the end all be all in basketball, ask Kevin Durant.

sorry, didn't mean to come across as that. I am sure it did. I'm relaxed, just hate that since we have a picture of our team with their shirts off - it became a comparison to team we've beat as of late. I just think Jordan gets the short stick because he has a weakness in his game, people act like he hasn't played above his head and ranking since the day he arrived here. I think strength and conditioning is about as important as anything in college sports, I also think the U of I understands it more than most. Dudes look cut tho - all of them flexing their swoll bra.

You can't see Iowa improving on a 4-14 B1G season from last year? I get being pessimistic but I'll bet you any amount they have a better record ... ie improvement.

Honestly no. I don’t see our defense or point guard play being any better.

Not much fat on any of those guys.. Dailey has been watching his diet holy crap dude is lean. JBo getting adding any strength at all will help him out.

I think I heard they are really running and conditioning a lot. I think Fran has put an emphasis on this.

Honestly no. I don’t see our defense or point guard play being any better.

What about the 3, 4 or 5 spots - it would take them having to regress on D to get worse then last season and we bring in 2 top 150 kids this season vs last. I'm open to a wager if you'd like, but Iowa is going to be better this season I have 0 doubt. How much is still to be determined.

I think I heard they are really running and conditioning a lot. I think Fran has put an emphasis on this.
Yeah JBo needs to be in as great of shape as he can be in. They put a ton on his shoulders as far as mins played goes and he seemed to have gotten worn down at the end of both years and late in games. So hopefully the combination of him getting more physically mature and CM playing some mins can help

On another board it was stated that Garza had a ten pound cyst removed. If it is true, it will probably take him awhile to recover.

giphy.gif

What about the 3, 4 or 5 spots - it would take them having to regress on D to get worse then last season and we bring in 2 top 150 kids this season vs last. I'm open to a wager if you'd like, but Iowa is going to be better this season I have 0 doubt. How much is still to be determined.

I agree. Iowa will be better. If it's enough relative to the Big 10 and the tournament field that's up for debate but 100% this team will be better.

On another board it was stated that Garza had a ten pound cyst removed. If it is true, it will probably take him awhile to recover.

I don't know how I missed that, but I'll be damned if that isn't our luck on with the health of everyone surround this basketball team. Connor, Patrick, Garza, Pemsl, Cook, and Baer have all had crazy fluke health things happen in recent years. Hopefully he's doing better and doesn't need a redshirt, but I can't imagine how long of a recovery it would be for a 10 pound cyst removal.

I don't know how I missed that, but I'll be damned if that isn't our luck on with the health of everyone surround this basketball team. Connor, Patrick, Garza, Pemsl, Cook, and Baer have all had crazy fluke health things happen in recent years. Hopefully he's doing better and doesn't need a redshirt, but I can't imagine how long of a recovery it would be for a 10 pound cyst removal.
I think they said that nine pounds was water.

What is the status on Garza anyway? Is he able to do anything at this point? Any timelines forecast?

He was a man on a mission to make sure last year was a bad dream so hopefully this doesn't set him back too far. I'm sure all teams have their share of setbacks to key players but Hawks never seem to miss out where BB is concerned.

You can't see Iowa improving on a 4-14 B1G season from last year? I get being pessimistic but I'll bet you any amount they have a better record ... ie improvement.
I think at some point we go to 20 B1G games yeah, so keeping in mind I don't know when that happens, I don't consider 5-13 or 6-12 to be a real improvement even though its technically better. Like going from 4-8 to 5-7 in football. You still suck either way so who cares?

Latest posts