Social Issue/Political Discussion Relating to Iowa Football

Is this your version of the I'm rubber/you're glue thing?

I've said multiple times on this board that I'm a dull knife, I've admitted to being wrong bunches of times, and never once have I deleted a post where I said something that turned out to be wrong. Matter of fact, I'm wrong all the time and it gets pointed out most of the time.

As far as thinking my opinion is right, isn't that what all of this is? Aren't we always saying our opinions because we think they're "right?"

Would you feel better if I put a disclaimer on every post that I thought my opinion was right but I might be wrong? I thought that was just understood, but...

You’re right, this place is about sharing your opinions. It’s just a shame that over time certain ppl have made it hard to share theirs in fear of dudes such as yourself running over them and getting into a fucking dumb argument. You seriously are the king of beating a dead horse over and over in every thread. You’ve already got like 10 posts in this one. We get it. You hate Kirk Ferentz. I’ll crawl back into my hole again and read Frynation from a far...

You’re literally calling for KF and Brian’s head so I don’t exactly buy that that you’re open to both sides. You’re like a lot of people these days, guilty until proven innocent.
If what they did is found to be true I think they should be gone.

I even spelled it out for you and you still missed the “if” part.

I’ll crawl back into my hole again and read Frynation from a far...
That fake submission thing is both weird and weak. You’ve done it at the end of several posts. Are you trying to make people sympathize with you and think I’m some sort of oppressor or something? I don’t have any power on this board whatsoever.

My memory is getting foggy with time and age, but I thought Shonn Greene had some "ball security" concerns as well and those really cut into his playing time. I mean, Greene was only the best tailback to go through the program in like 40 years and even he rode pine as an underclassman. Goodson is lucky he matriculated to Iowa during the Kirk 2.0 phase.

It did along with other players. KF puts a ton of emphasis on ball security and players won't see the field until that gets corrected. AW fumbled as a young player which affected his playing time. Remember, he was also undersized coming in as an 18yr old freshman so I'm sure they wanted him to develop and get bigger and stronger early on. He saw the field later consistent with other players.

I also attended the public spring practice and kid's day practices those years when he was a freshman and sophmore. I clearly remember hims struggling in those catching the ball out of the backfield. He dropped a lot when young. That shit doesn't get seen by many who are on these message boards. People don't see what happens in practices.

I know, I didn't realize Kallenberger was black until all this started
I think it’s actually more damning for Iowa than if this was just a racial issue.

Are you cool with how Kallenberger was treated if it’s true? That’s a pretty fair yes/no question...

Three different players so far have backed up his story, and one even guessed who the coach was before Kallenberger came out and said it.

So should a coach who abused a player about his learning disability, and posted his GPA to mock him, and called him Simple Jack to compare him to a movie character still be coaching? Your kids play ball, what if it was one of them. How about if one of your kids’ teachers posted their grades to make fun of him/her and you were a principal or superintendent. Would you fire that teacher? Honest question.

The way I see it there are three issues under investigation:

1) Disparate impact of certain rules of the road in the Hawkeye weight room/locker room- Things like the dress code and the social media ban fall into this category. It sounds like changes were already being made on this topic and will be accelerated going forward. The fact that the coaching staff and athletic department are headed by old white men in a state which is ~90% white exacerbates these issues, but they should be correctable as current and former players are given more of a voice.

2) Racial profiling - If the claims of unfair drug testing procedures or disparate penalties laid down for the same action prove to be true (which should be easy for the investigation to ascertain), then Kirk Ferentz absolutely has to go as the blame is entirely on his shoulders. I would put Doyle's "gangbang" and "back to the streets/ghetto" comments here as well as they cross the line from unconscious bias to outright racism.

3) Bullying - This appears to have crossed racial lines although it is possible the black players were targeted more often due to issues #1 and #2 outlined above. While KF has not been directly implicated in these allegations, he oversaw the other coaches and ultimately is responsible for drawing the line between demanding and demeaning.

In the long-run, Iowa football will be better off for making changes to correct 1, 2, and 3. Barta and Ferentz said it well: Regardless of a player's tenure, we should hope for all of then to walk away with a good experience in the program and be troubled when that is not the case.

The only certain thing is that Brian Ferentz will absolutely not be Iowa's next head coach. Not sure the support would have been there anyway.

What about the screenshotted texts from Binns and WHite?

Wadley has texts saying he's getting punishments doled out from BF with no explanation. Binns says so.

Would there not be proof in U records that showed he had his meal card suspended?

But you want to just throw it out the window.

This is the stuff that I hope and want the investigation to clear up. If true and there is preferential treatment due to a different skin color or race, yes, they should be held accountable for that.

If what they did is found to be true I think they should be gone.

I even spelled it out for you and you still missed the “if” part.

Why are you even on here? You seem miserable. I bet you’re also fake outraged about players not being paid or the Redskins mascot.

Why are you even on here? You seem miserable.

Says the guy who goes on and on and on about Rob being wrong, and HN being too far left, and how everything here is so one sided, and how HN/Rob are "social justice warriors." You even started a thread called "Rob's Agenda."

You don't like the owners, management, nor the content, yet you keep sticking around. Seems to me that you're the one who's probably miserable...

But it also doesn’t mean that he hasn’t looked the other way. That’s the thing...people are ok with Doyle and Wallace and BF getting punished based on player statements and interactions, but when it comes to KF they think it all has to be complete bullshit. Not how it works. Hence my comparison to Paterno supporters. There was such a cult of personality that those guys would immolate themselves to save his “reputation.”

When tons of players come out and say KF isn’t the apple pie guy when he’s not in front of players, and is actually the complete opposite, why is it so hard for people to accept it?

Because it doesn't necessarily mean he's racist. On TV, KF looks like the tolerant easy going soft spoken Grandpa who'd spoil a kid. Behind the scenes or in the locker room at half-time, he's probably not who most see on TV. I'm sure the players and those in the program have seen that side of Kirk, passionate about the program and how it is ran and who sets high standards for his program, many which players don't like or think is fair. Doesn't necessarily mean he's racist.

I truly believe there are two completely different situations or allegations going on at Iowa. 1) The bullying of players by the assistant coaches either for motivation or punishment for not conforming. 2) KF possibly black balling (can I say that anymore) players for not conforming to the program rules. With both, certain people are trying to tie in racism to each. Is there? We don't know. Hopefully the investigation will clear that up.

I feel there is more concern with #1 and the treatment of players. #2 is something I think KF needs to work on to let players show their individualism or personality better. He needs to loosen up there a bit. In the past, those are the players who's playing time may have been cut secondary to not buying in to the program or conforming. He may mention that to the NFL execs. I don't know. But, if he had it may have been solely on the players behavior and actions, not skin color or race. It does not mean that it was racially driven. It may be that there is a higher % of black players at those positions (RB and WR). Wadley had some NFL camps he participated in. Now DJK can be head scratching a bit. but, he also had his house raided where they found pretty nasty illegal drugs, so..................... Maybe KF realized DJK was a part of something more than he should be and let NFL execs rightfully know of that. We don't know. But, I don't think KF is not going to warn those he knows in the NFL or worked with of potential issues. It's the way it is. If you don't want that baggage, keep your nose clean. Only KF, DJK and those close to the situation know that real story.

Last edited:
But it also doesn’t mean that he hasn’t looked the other way. That’s the thing...people are ok with Doyle and Wallace and BF getting punished based on player statements and interactions, but when it comes to KF they think it all has to be complete bullshit. Not how it works. Hence my comparison to Paterno supporters. There was such a cult of personality that those guys would immolate themselves to save his “reputation.”

When tons of players come out and say KF isn’t the apple pie guy when he’s not in front of players, and is actually the complete opposite, why is it so hard for people to accept it?

Can be true as well. I'll give you that. Did he ever think to sit the coaches down? That is a question. How much should you be nailed if you look the other way. That's always a question. How much should a health provider be punished for not stopping at a scene of an accident?

Because it doesn't necessarily mean he's racist.
But if he allowed racist behavior to take place by Doyle, abusive behavior to take place by Wallace and Brian, and seedy shit to go on also via Brian, is that not something that should preclude removal?

Joe Paterno never raped any kids. But he kept a guy involved in his football program who he knew raped kids. He was fired for it.

KF may not be "racist" depending on the definition people use. That's semantics. But if he allowed and enabled Doyle to be, and if he allowed and enabled BF and Wallace to be abusive, he should be gone.

That's where I've been going with the PSU thing.

People just can't get it through their heads that KF could be at fault to some degree because he's such a gee golly aw shucks guy on TV.

Here is the press release of this week's COVID-19 test results for the Iowa athletic department:

June 29, 2020

IOWA REPORTS POSITIVE COVID-19 TESTS

IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa Athletics Department conducted 22 COVID-19 tests for the week of June 22-28, 2020. Five positive tests and 17 negative tests have been received. As part of the return to campus protocol, testing began May 29, 2020, and includes student-athletes, coaches and staff. A total of 17 positive tests and 391 negative tests have been received.

Following the positive test result, protocol established by UI Athletics and medical staff, including contact tracing procedures, is being followed to ensure the safety of all UI Athletics student-athletes and staff. This mandatory protocol also includes isolation for the individuals who test positive, and quarantine for those individuals who might have been exposed to someone with the virus.

Here is the press release of this week's COVID-19 test results for the Iowa athletic department:

June 29, 2020

IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa Athletics Department conducted 22 COVID-19 tests for the week of June 22-28, 2020. Five positive tests and 17 negative tests have been received. As part of the return to campus protocol, testing began May 29, 2020, and includes student-athletes, coaches and staff. A total of 17 positive tests and 391 negative tests have been received.

Following the positive test result, protocol established by UI Athletics and medical staff, including contact tracing procedures, is being followed to ensure the safety of all UI Athletics student-athletes and staff. This mandatory protocol also includes isolation for the individuals who test positive, and quarantine for those individuals who might have been exposed to someone with the virus.
That's not... terrible I guess. 5 new cases after being back for 3 weeks, with a majority of cases likely having been caught before getting to school.

My HS just had to shut baseball down for the year. Our superintendent has to take advisory from 2 different county health boards. I do not envy his job right now.

Says the guy who goes on and on and on about Rob being wrong, and HN being too far left, and how everything here is so one sided, and how HN/Rob are "social justice warriors." You even started a thread called "Rob's Agenda."

You don't like the owners, management, nor the content, yet you keep sticking around. Seems to me that you're the one who's probably miserable...

Lol, like most things, you got that about 25% right. I've never said HN was too far left or used the word "social justice warriors." I would actually agree with the owners of the site considering they took down the DJK story. I did create the threat because I think it was a valid question. There's a reason nobody else decided to run the DJK story other than Rob, which he even said he didn't believe...
You cry about KF who's been here 21 years. You question his ethics. Hate to break it to you, but if you think Iowa will have a more ethical coach than KF then college sports aren't for you. Find something else to complain about because you're never going to happy.

I think it’s actually more damning for Iowa than if this was just a racial issue.

Are you cool with how Kallenberger was treated if it’s true? That’s a pretty fair yes/no question...

Three different players so far have backed up his story, and one even guessed who the coach was before Kallenberger came out and said it.

So should a coach who abused a player about his learning disability, and posted his GPA to mock him, and called him Simple Jack to compare him to a movie character still be coaching? Your kids play ball, what if it was one of them. How about if one of your kids’ teachers posted their grades to make fun of him/her and you were a principal or superintendent. Would you fire that teacher? Honest question.

I am not at all comfortable with what happened with Kallenberger and is very discouraging to me. These actions proved to me the "bullying" by the coaches. This was definitely over-the-line bullying in my eyes and a reason to be fired. What Kallenberger has is not a choice and I don't feel somebody should be bullied for something they can't help. That is sickening to me and I was very disappointed to hear that went on. The coaches acted like petulant teenagers.

That was definitely abuse in my eyes.

June 29, 2020

Are all of these football, or are they across other programs as well?

I assume the U won't say but do you hear any details??

Hate to break it to you, but if you think Iowa will have a more ethical coach than KF then college sports aren't for you.
You've met him? How much time have you spent with the guy in person? I'll hang up and listen.

That fake submission thing is both weird and weak. You’ve done it at the end of several posts. Are you trying to make people sympathize with you and think I’m some sort of oppressor or something? I don’t have any power on this board whatsoever.

It’s probably just a matter of how you post with same flamboyance in every thread instead of having a conversation and respecting other opinions that you disagree with, you belittle them and try to make them feel smaller than you for not agreeing instead of having a normal conversation. I can call Akrum a crybaby if I want, it sure sounds like he is one right now. That’s my opinion right? But you attacked instantly calling me out and have been trying to prove me wrong since.

The way I see it there are three issues under investigation:

1) Disparate impact of certain rules of the road in the Hawkeye weight room/locker room- Things like the dress code and the social media ban fall into this category. It sounds like changes were already being made on this topic and will be accelerated going forward. The fact that the coaching staff and athletic department are headed by old white men in a state which is ~90% white exacerbates these issues, but they should be correctable as current and former players are given more of a voice.

2) Racial profiling - If the claims of unfair drug testing procedures or disparate penalties laid down for the same action prove to be true (which should be easy for the investigation to ascertain), then Kirk Ferentz absolutely has to go as the blame is entirely on his shoulders. I would put Doyle's "gangbang" and "back to the streets/ghetto" comments here as well as they cross the line from unconscious bias to outright racism.

3) Bullying - This appears to have crossed racial lines although it is possible the black players were targeted more often due to issues #1 and #2 outlined above. While KF has not been directly implicated in these allegations, he oversaw the other coaches and ultimately is responsible for drawing the line between demanding and demeaning.

In the long-run, Iowa football will be better off for making changes to correct 1, 2, and 3. Barta and Ferentz said it well: Regardless of a player's tenure, we should hope for all of then to walk away with a good experience in the program and be troubled when that is not the case.

The only certain thing is that Brian Ferentz will absolutely not be Iowa's next head coach. Not sure the support would have been there anyway.

I completely agree with your points. Right where I am on this. I didn't hear about the inconsistent testing. Agree that if that happened that could be racially motivated.