So who's the leader next year?

I think some of you are confusing floor leader and captain. As a senior, May could be named captain and we should all know he is not a leader on the floor.

I think McCabe is the leader emotionally for this team....he kind of takes on the persona that Cole had his senior year...not the most talented guy on the team but gives 110% and definitely has the respect of his teammates. He plays with a lot of intensity.

I think Marble and White keep to themselves more during the game.....they may act differently in practice but during games they both don't show much emotion. They are leaders on the floor by example.

The thing I loved about Cole is that he stuck up for his teammates. If someone took a hard foul, he would give a hard foul the next time down the floor. McCabe has that attitude and it is much needed on this team. It's important to have that one guy that everyone really hates to play against just because he is tough and doesn't take crap and really tries to outwork people.

With the game on the line, it will be Marble with the ball. It seemed like this year, Marble and Basabe were the players Fran challenged the most. Basabe because he was not playing near his potential and Marble because he wanted him to be more assertive and lead the team. I agree that point guard play is critical, but I think having Marble in the game along with Gessel will allow Gessel to ease into the point guard without having to be the primary focus of the team.

undermind's the concept of captain? that is a joke. captaincy can be for a lot of things. sometimes an upperclassmen thing, sometimes a popularity contest, sometimes it is a leadership thing. it all depends on how it is determined with each team.
Are you serious? You don't name someone a captain of a basketball team that isn't a leader. And if you think they are making someone a team captain because they are a senior, well, I just think you don't really know how things work. When it is popularity thing it is actually because it is a leadership thing and evidently you just can't tell the difference.

FYI, it is only a popularity thing when you are in junior high. No real college team makes a player a team captain because he is a a nice guy.

Last edited:
White. He will be the vocal leader. Started doing it this year. He climbed in some team mates jerseys during the season for poor defensive rotations and poor ball value.

Marble. He will be the go-to player. I've been impressed with Marble's progress and his patience about taking shots. He steps it up a notch again next year.

To be a captain, you need to log major minutes and be one of the better players. Marble and White as co-captains makes the most sense. Not knocking May, just don't think a role player who will get less PT next season makes sense as a captain. I agree that May can be instrumental as a leader.....especially in the gym, but unless McCaffrey goes with seniority, I don't see him being a captain.

undermind's the concept of captain? that is a joke. captaincy can be for a lot of things. sometimes an upperclassmen thing, sometimes a popularity contest, sometimes it is a leadership thing. it all depends on how it is determined with each team.
Are you serious? You don't name someone a captain of a basketball team that isn't a leader. And if you think they are making someone a team captain because they are a senior, well, I just think you don't really know how things work. When it is popularity thing it is actually because it is a leadership thing and evidently you just can't tell the difference.FYI, it is only a popularity thing when you are in junior high. No real college team makes a player a team captain because he is a a nice guy.

i played college sports and teach and coach. i think i understand how captaincy works. just because someone is popular doesnt mean they are the best leader. i have been on teams in both hs and college where the captain wasnt the leader of the team and where he was. i say these things from personal experience. you say your things from an idealogical thought that is good but not followed like you seem to believe. in a perfect world you would be right but you are wrong. i dont think there is anything wrong with the sentimental captain when they have paid their dues like may. captain is not synonimous with leader.

i played college sports and teach and coach. i think i understand how captaincy works. just because someone is popular doesnt mean they are the best leader. i have been on teams in both hs and college where the captain wasnt the leader of the team and where he was. i say these things from personal experience. you say your things from an idealogical thought that is good but not followed like you seem to believe. in a perfect world you would be right but you are wrong. i dont think there is anything wrong with the sentimental captain when they have paid their dues like may. captain is not synonimous with leader.

Captain may not have been synonymous with leader where you played and coached, but it appears with Fran's team that that is exactly how he rewards his captaincies. Fran doesn't strike me as a "sentimental" sort of coach.

So based on that, I fully expect Dev Marble and Zach McCabe to be awarded the captain position next year.

It will be Eric May.

1. Like Cole,who was hurt much of his career, Eric probably battles back from injuries his senior year and contributes on the floor. Cole was hurt much of the time,but still was totally respected by his teammates,which is the most important attribute of a captain...along with leadership.

2. May is the lone senior,and that matters. He is a very intense competitior,like Matt.
He is very intelligent,like Matt. I have seen him counsel upset players on the bench during this season. He is the kind of steady,hard worker to set the tone for the team,like Matt. He is very similar in personality to Matt,actually.

3. He has a hot girlfriend. In a group of young alpha males, that counts. They want to emulate him. So he can lead them....ok, joking a little,but still,anyone remember Adam Haluska,another captain, and his girlfriend/wife? This is part of the reason that JR Angle would have never made a good captain...joking.

I predict it will be Eric May and he will not let down the team or Fran..or Matt and Jarryd...keeping the line intact for the guys to follow,probably Devyn and Zach.

Well I think this question has been answered. White 25 points 11 boards. Don't get me wrong McCabe had a great game and I like Marble but White is the man, just all over the floor and can do it all. He'll only get better.

White. He will be the vocal leader. Started doing it this year. He climbed in some team mates jerseys during the season for poor defensive rotations and poor ball value. Marble. He will be the go-to player. I've been impressed with Marble's progress and his patience about taking shots. He steps it up a notch again next year.
this- at least two times tonight I saw White reposition a player on defense and get on McCabe for a rotation. Marble is going to have to finish games for us next year.

this- at least two times tonight I saw White reposition a player on defense and get on McCabe for a rotation. Marble is going to have to finish games for us next year.

Yeah, you can see it already. It's not just his consistent play he's also becoming very vocal and at this point in the season he isn't a freshman anymore. I saw him do something similar to Josh tonight on defense too.

Latest posts