So whats the ceiling for the Iowa Program?

What those videos don't teach is how to develop your footwork in conjunction with your dribble, to make game moves at game speed. How many steps/dribbles it takes you to get into a mid-range soft spot. How many steps/dribbles it takes to draw defenders and open a passing lane. How much space you need in order to attack and distribute the ball in the mid range.
A good skills coach teaches their players these things. Or, a good coach recognizes these attributes in the recruiting process and recruits accordingly.
I run ball handling drills with cones set up in various spots above and below the 8-12' range. I do this because I want to see how they get into the mid-range area. I'm looking at their footwork, the speed they go through the drill and if they are keeping their eyes up. I move the cones to different locations to see how they adapt. I can help each individual player correct their footwork and ball handling accordingly. It helps if they do it slowly at first and then speed it up as they become more comfortable. I'm not a big fan of dribbling drills just to dribble or shooting drills just to get shots up. Unfortunately, this is the majority of drills that are being run in youth ball.
Ultimately, the onus is on the players to take this information and work to perfect it.
Good analysis. There's a reason certain players who don't have blazing speed are always getting open for their shot. They move well without the ball. They read screens. They read how the defender may react to a screen. They use their footwork to get defenders off balance. They utilize the V-Cut. Etc, stuff you already know about and teach.

That's what I love about Wiescamp and why he will continue to improve, despite his recent dry spell. He gets where he needs to not with excessive dribbling, but with solid footwork. And finds a way to get open.

There are So many little things that Iowa is poor at and we see it yearly. It’s just crazy to watch and it only illustrates see how poorly coached Iowa is.

Someone made mention that Mr. Davis and Fran are coaching equals, that couldn’t be further from the truth. You take this same team and have each Fran and Mr. Davis coach them for 3 weeks and face off against one another Mr. Davis team would obliterate Fran coached team.

So if Iowa is so "poor" at so many things, how do they compete so well for a good portion of Frans tenure? People on here talk like he's a terrible recruiter, terrible in game coach, terrible at teaching fundamentals, terrible at player development, terrible at coaching defense. How can a coach be terrible at all of those things and still be a middle of the pack Big 10 team over the last 8 years?

So if Iowa is so "poor" at so many things, how do they compete so well for a good portion of Frans tenure? People on here talk like he's a terrible recruiter, terrible in game coach, terrible at teaching fundamentals, terrible at player development, terrible at coaching defense. How can a coach be terrible at all of those things and still be a middle of the pack Big 10 team over the last 8 years?

Fran has coached for 23 years and has 4 total NCAA Tournament wins! But you state that he and Mr. Davis Are equals. Mr. Davis has coached 2 different programs to 2 Elite 8’s and 2 Sweet 16’s. Let that soak in before you make ridiculous comparisons.

As for what you said above. Yes Fran struggles with the teaching his kids fundamentals, he isn’t a great developer, most certainly struggles majorly at in game coaching and definitely teaching defensive fundamentals. Listen Iowa gets destroyed in transition most all games and usually if not always gets killed with not using the fundamentals of blocking out, hence giving the opponent 2nd and 3rd chance points. Pay attention it happens nightly..

Iowa and Fran have a huge opportunity tomorrow night at home against Michigan. These are games Iowa in my view at home need to win. Other programs that are Tourny caliber in the Big Ten defend its home court. Why can’t Iowa? The answer to those questions lie right above in the last paragraph!! It’s Sad but true!!

Fran has coached for 23 years and has 4 total NCAA Tournament wins! But you state that he and Mr. Davis Are equals. Mr. Davis has coached 2 different programs to 2 Elite 8’s and 2 Sweet 16’s. Let that soak in before you make ridiculous comparisons.

As for what you said above. Yes Fran struggles with the teaching his kids fundamentals, he isn’t a great developer, most certainly struggles majorly at in game coaching and definitely teaching defensive fundamentals. Listen Iowa gets destroyed in transition most all games and usually if not always gets killed with not using the fundamentals of blocking out, hence giving the opponent 2nd and 3rd chance points. Pay attention it happens nightly..

Iowa and Fran have a huge opportunity tomorrow night at home against Michigan. These are games Iowa in my view at home need to win. Other programs that are Tourny caliber in the Big Ten defend its home court. Why can’t Iowa? The answer to those questions lie right above in the last paragraph!! It’s Sad but true!!

The coach that Davis inherited was going to the elite 8 with Lick as the coach so sorry if I don't put a lot of stock in it. Davis took over a program with a really good reputation and really good players. Fran took over a program that was the laughing stock of the conference and had horrible players. Do you honestly think comparing the 2 coaches numbers is fair? Compare the years 3 through 8 and tell me what you come up with. My guess is Davis is still slightly better which I chalk up to the footing of the program. I bet when Fran is done, if you compare year 4 through 13, they will be even closer to the same.

I'll ask my question again since you didn't answer it. If Fran sucks at everything you mentioned, how is he achieving average results?

The coach that Davis inherited was going to the elite 8 with Lick as the coach so sorry if I don't put a lot of stock in it. Davis took over a program with a really good reputation and really good players. Fran took over a program that was the laughing stock of the conference and had horrible players. Do you honestly think comparing the 2 coaches numbers is fair? Compare the years 3 through 8 and tell me what you come up with. My guess is Davis is still slightly better which I chalk up to the footing of the program. I bet when Fran is done, if you compare year 4 through 13, they will be even closer to the same.

I'll ask my question again since you didn't answer it. If Fran sucks at everything you mentioned, how is he achieving average results?

Obviously we will agree to disagree PC. You think Fran’s a good coach and I don’t. I’m just not impressed with what I see from Iowa when IMO they can be better. That said Fran has long way to go before he is in the same discussion piece as Mr. Davis and his accomplishments footing of the program or no footing, Because Mr. Davis has showed in his coaching history he can do both!

Latest posts