So whats the ceiling for the Iowa Program?

The single biggest factor in recruiting, especially today, is program success. Clemson/Alabama/OSU/Georgia keep being Clemson/Alabama/OSU/Georgia because they get the best recruits. They get the best recruits by winning all the time. I say "especially today" because with the media the way it is and pro sports salaries being what they are now, the best recruits aren't looking at relationships with coaches, facilities, proximity to home, academics, etc. Translates to basketball the same way.

Because of that, the only chance a school has of breaking through is getting a one in a million coaching staff to get some success and start the snowball rolling. In hopes of finding that "right" coaching staff you can either play musical coaches like Nebraska did with their football team and destroy a program, or you can live with a .575 ish record from now until the cows come home. No other way to go about it which is why we are and will be stuck with the Iowa programs we have. The donor base calling the shots has made it crystal clear they're happy with 7-5 and winning the Bob's Muffler Shop Bowl every three years, and a 1st round exit after making the dance every 4-5 seasons. Barta's a wet fart and has zero to do with who our BB and FB coaches are, btw.
7-5 and so many fans are still unhappy. It is tough being Iowa's head coach.

Just out of curiosity, I looked it up. There are 4 teams in the Big 10 in the top 20 of KenPom's defense stats, MSU, Mich, OSU, and Wisc. Iowa's played MSU 2x, Wisc, and OSU. JBo is 9-38 from the floor in those games. Moss is 9-27. That just isn't going to get it done.
If you aren't very athletic, it is extremely difficult to get off a high percentage of 3 point shots against high level athletes.

Extremely difficult.

Coaches improve players in both sports.

BALL SKILLS! Quit changing the subject. Which college coach is known for his ability to make his players better dribblers? Is there someone that makes people say "if you want to learn how to be a great dribbler, go get coached by that guy"?

BALL SKILLS! Quit changing the subject. Which college coach is known for his ability to make his players better dribblers? Is there someone that makes people say "if you want to learn how to be a great dribbler, go get coached by that guy"?

I would gather Fran hasn't worked with him at all. A big man who can move with the bsll in certajn situations is huge. I like using it like have a soccer defender overloading and attackinv the goal.

Realistically as a program? I think all you have to do is look at that program over in Madison for a pretty good comp as for what our program could be capable of.

Both in football and basketball. If Wisconsin can do it, so can we, IMO.

Or the program in Ames - they have the same recruiting base as we do. Yet their basketball program has basically run circles around us in recent times.

Not saying this is likely and it sure doesn't appear that any of this is about to happen in the foreseeable future.. But if we're talking about ceiling.. That's the way I see it.

Last edited:
You think college coaches have no effect on this? I would whole heartedly disagree. I don't know who is better than others at this because I'm not sophisticated enough to know. However, those ball skills can be taught, and like everything, certain teachers are better than others.

There are great shooting coaches, I don't think anybody would disagree with that. Why wouldn't there be great ball skills coaches?

(As an addition, ISU briefly employed a guy that was a ball skills expert as a grad assistant, who had previously worked with some organization owned by Chauncey Billups.)

So no one on Fran's staff knows the best way to dribble a basketball? They could Google a video of it in 2 seconds. I honestly dont see what coaching you can get at the college level that teaches you how to dribble better. Certainly no crazy secrets that only a select few know. If I am wrong here, I would really like no know some examples of what elite college coaches teach for dribbling skills that most others don't know. Some coaches might be better at motivating players to spend more time working on drills. But other than that, I have no clue what they could do.

So no one on Fran's staff knows the best way to dribble a basketball? They could Google a video of it in 2 seconds. I honestly dont see what coaching you can get at the college level that teaches you how to dribble better. Certainly no crazy secrets that only a select few know. If I am wrong here, I would really like no know some examples of what elite college coaches teach for dribbling skills that most others don't know. Some coaches might be better at motivating players to spend more time working on drills. But other than that, I have no clue what they could do.

Jay Wright! Villanova seems good. :)

Again, where are you thinking he’ll go? Even if you don’t want to listen to me, there are zero analysts that even have Cook in the talk of being drafted after his year so far. He’ll be here next year hoping to make the board then.

Cook’s biggest mistake was coming to Iowa. Coached at Purdue or Wisconsin he’d already be gone. The athleticism is there but the refinements that are crucial to take the next step aren’t.
Exactly! He has wasted his time working on his jump shot. With his athleticism, the coaching staff should have focused on refining his blocking, rebounding, and defense. Stuff he doesn't enjoy but its the only way he'd ever make it in the NBA. Also, he is a turnover waiting to happen outside block or on the dribble. Coaching staff has done zilch to work on those parts of his game where improvement is likely and they haven't steered him away from doing things that may work against 250+ RPI teams but don't work in the B1G let alone the NBA.

With Fran as the head coach the ceiling is a 7 seed in the NCAA tournament. He is in year 9, we have already seen the best he can do.
Why do you think we are even going to make the NCAA Tournament? If we go 8-12/9-11 that's a pretty bad record to get in..WOW no team should be in the tournament with a losing record..

Iowa hasn’t had a True PG since 2013/14 season. He dragged Marble along to facilitate his vision. We all know what that vision is as well.. There is NO DAMN WAY your convincing me that Iowa couldn’t have a legit PG, IMO he has even tried to get one,

Why do you think we are even going to make the NCAA Tournament? If we go 8-12/9-11 that's a pretty bad record to get in..WOW no team should be in the tournament with a losing record..

Where did I say I think we will make the NCAA’s?

Nobody with a losing record will make the NCAA’s, but teams with losing conference records have and do make the NCAA’s. I can see a sub .500 B1G make the dance this year, heck maybe two of them even.

Where did I say I think we will make the NCAA’s?

Nobody with a losing record will make the NCAA’s, but teams with losing conference records have and do make the NCAA’s. I can see a sub .500 B1G make the dance this year, heck maybe two of them even.

The year we went to the NIT championship game, we went 9-9. Both Illinois and Minnesota got in the tournament going 8-10.

LOL! Every middle school kid trying out for an AAU team does every one of those drills!:)
What those videos don't teach is how to develop your footwork in conjunction with your dribble, to make game moves at game speed. How many steps/dribbles it takes you to get into a mid-range soft spot. How many steps/dribbles it takes to draw defenders and open a passing lane. How much space you need in order to attack and distribute the ball in the mid range.
A good skills coach teaches their players these things. Or, a good coach recognizes these attributes in the recruiting process and recruits accordingly.
I run ball handling drills with cones set up in various spots above and below the 8-12' range. I do this because I want to see how they get into the mid-range area. I'm looking at their footwork, the speed they go through the drill and if they are keeping their eyes up. I move the cones to different locations to see how they adapt. I can help each individual player correct their footwork and ball handling accordingly. It helps if they do it slowly at first and then speed it up as they become more comfortable. I'm not a big fan of dribbling drills just to dribble or shooting drills just to get shots up. Unfortunately, this is the majority of drills that are being run in youth ball.
Ultimately, the onus is on the players to take this information and work to perfect it.

There are So many little things that Iowa is poor at and we see it yearly. It’s just crazy to watch and it only illustrates see how poorly coached Iowa is.

Someone made mention that Mr. Davis and Fran are coaching equals, that couldn’t be further from the truth. You take this same team and have each Fran and Mr. Davis coach them for 3 weeks and face off against one another Mr. Davis team would obliterate Fran coached team.

Latest posts