So, what are the chances??

DeanMarshall

Anyone have a prediction on Odds that Tyler Cook and/or Isaiah Moss are Hawkeyes, this fall?

Really, I hope they both are, because with a bit more development, in the future, they both could play
Professionally, somewhere.

My predictions are for Isaiah Moss, 85% chance that he does play for Iowa, next season. He'll do great with another
year of BIG10 completion.

Now for Tyler Cook............he will get an NBA shot, next year. (After season with the Hawkeyes, in 2018-2019)
My odds, currently are 52% that Tyler returns. 48% chance that he enters the NBA draft.

GO HAWKS !!!!

Anyone have a prediction on Odds that Tyler Cook and/or Isaiah Moss are Hawkeyes, this fall?

Really, I hope they both are, because with a bit more development, in the future, they both could play
Professionally, somewhere.

My predictions are for Isaiah Moss, 85% chance that he does play for Iowa, next season. He'll do great with another
year of BIG10 completion.

Now for Tyler Cook............he will get an NBA shot, next year. (After season with the Hawkeyes, in 2018-2019)
My odds, currently are 52% that Tyler returns. 48% chance that he enters the NBA draft.

GO HAWKS !!!!
Cook won't see an NBA floor in his career. G-League, yes. NBA, not a chance.

The real question is will Cook or Pemsl be Hawkeyes. If Cook stays, Pemsl is gone, and vice versa.

Cook is hopefully going to get a stone cold dose of reality that there are only 450 players on NBA rosters, about half of them forwards, and very few of them actually ever get any playing time. He is not in that group, and not even close. He's not only competing with every college player, but also the entire G-League and hundreds of European players. There are over 70 of them on NBA rosters this year alone.

Leaving as a junior would be the absolute dumbest thing he could possibly do for his basketball career. Someone needs to get through to him that making an NBA roster is by far the hardest break-through in pro sports. It's astronomical.

Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think Tyler Cook is 1 year away from being drafted in the
NBA 1st or 2nd round. He needs to come back, work hard and progress at the same rate he did from Frosh to Soph.
If he cuts down on turnovers, plays more intense defense, he will get his shot.

My overall prediction is 77% chance that Isaiah, Cordell and Tyler are all Hawkeyes this season.

Go Hawks

yeah, I think Cook can play in the NBA - he's just not ready now, either are a lot guys at his age. I'll say 100% on IM and about 90% on TC.

I think that Moss is back 100%. He's not ready for the NBA and probably won't be. Cook should come back cause I believe he has a lot to work on to make an NBA roster. Has to find a jump shot from outside 7-8ft and has to be able to defend outside the post. In the NBA he's going to have to guard guys that are outside shooters. He has not showed the desire, to this point, to want to do that. I do think he could have an 8-10 yr career overseas making nice money and probably getting some living expenses paid. Wouldn't be NBA money but better than D League money. Moss could possibly have a career overseas although I think it would be shorter than Cook's.

Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think Tyler Cook is 1 year away from being drafted in the
NBA 1st or 2nd round.

Go Hawks
You're f'n kidding us, right? You do realize that there are only two rounds in the entire draft? This isn't NFL where there are almost 2,000 roster spots and seven rounds in the draft. Last year there were 24 forwards taken and 8 of those were guys from overseas. That also includes small forwards which TC is not. Only 8 power forwards from the US were taken.

Someone has his Mitch King goggles on.

Cook will get signed undrafted to a G-League team and bounce around there for a while but he's not NBA material.

I read an article the other day, think it was in the DM Register, that Moss has already communicated with Fran that he'd be back unless he were to have an evaluation of being drafted in the first 2 rounds. So 100% on Moss.

So Cook is really the only one in question. I don't think he'll get drafted so the NBA doesn't worry me. I don't get the feeling he would play college ball anywhere else and have to sit outut we've already seen a high school kid pass on college to go straight to the G League and there's always a potential to go international. I'll go with 75% that Cook comes back.

Cook won't see an NBA floor in his career. G-League, yes. NBA, not a chance.

The real question is will Cook or Pemsl be Hawkeyes. If Cook stays, Pemsl is gone, and vice versa.

Cook is hopefully going to get a stone cold dose of reality that there are only 450 players on NBA rosters, about half of them forwards, and very few of them actually ever get any playing time. He is not in that group, and not even close. He's not only competing with every college player, but also the entire G-League and hundreds of European players. There are over 70 of them on NBA rosters this year alone.

Leaving as a junior would be the absolute dumbest thing he could possibly do for his basketball career. Someone needs to get through to him that making an NBA roster is by far the hardest break-through in pro sports. It's astronomical.

Cook is more than capable of seeing an NBA floor in his career. I'm guessing if there were odds on such a thing, it would be in his favor. An article from 'The Athletic' just posted an article projecting him as a 2nd round pick to being undrafted this year, after just his Sophomore year.
I think it would be a good idea for Cook to return for at least his Junior season to improve his stock, but he's being misused and Fran is not going to make him any better (he's just not a good coach) so it's hard to fault Cook if he does leave.

In the NBA now, unless you're 6'11" or taller and can rebound and block shots really well, you'd better be able to shoot outside 10 feet and I might even dare say be productive behind the 3 point line. Cook is a ways away from that now. It's not impossible for him to get there, but it's an uphill climb.

Cook can dunk. Spectacularly. That's it. He can't defend and can't shoot outside the lane.
Unless some unworldly metamorphosis takes place with his perimeter jump shot, he will go pro in another country. Which is a very nice living, BTW. No way he gets drafted.

Moss? Child please...

Both will be back. Pemsl will be gone.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Amile Jefferson (6'9 from Duke) is comparable to Tyler Cook. Here's Jefferson's G league stats (link below). He was undrafted, signed as a free agent, then waived, then signed to a two way contract and then recently signed to a regular contract.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/j/jeffeam01d.html

Jefferson doesn't shoot 3s at all at this point. If Cook can get rebounds like Jefferson does (needs to work harder), he has a chance to play in the G league regularly. However, as mentioned by others, he will need to extend his range and play much better defense to play in the NBA. He's probably not ready at this point, but some players just don't want to be in college anymore.

There have been a lot of NBA players that were 6 ft 9 that could dominate in the paint in rebounding and defense. Being a great outside shooter wasn't a requirement.

In the NBA now, unless you're 6'11" or taller and can rebound and block shots really well, you'd better be able to shoot outside 10 feet and I might even dare say be productive behind the 3 point line. Cook is a ways away from that now. It's not impossible for him to get there, but it's an uphill climb.

If you want to be an All-Star yes, but in the league, no. There are still plenty of guys Cook's size who are productive in the NBA and don't have a jump shot or protect the paint (which I could argue is more of a defensive philosophy problem more than anything, I'll get to that in a minute). Jordan Bell, Julius Randle, and Blake Griffin are all similar in size to Cook and play a similar style. At this stage in their careers, I think Cook is not only more athletic but also stronger than all of these guys (Jordan Bell is right up there) and is the youngest of the four.
In terms of defensive, Cook has no doubt not looked the part but neither has anyone under Fran and I think it's more of a flawed philosophy than flawed players. For instance, Ricky Rubio was always thought to be a terrible and slow defender until this year, his first under Quinn Snyder, he's now expected to be named to an NBA All-Defense team, and is considered one of the best defensive guards in the NBA in year 7! I'm by no means suggesting Cook is on the same path, just pointing out how narratives can change with a good coach.

Quinn Snyder is also proof how narratives can change with good players. JU was a pretty good defender, sometimes it's more about the guys then coach.

There have been a lot of NBA players that were 6 ft 9 that could dominate in the paint in rebounding and defense. Being a great outside shooter wasn't a requirement.
The key phrase being "wasn't a requirement". The Ben Wallace type of players aren't extinct yet, but they are becoming fairly rare. Everyone wants a stretch four.

I think Cook is done at Iowa. if not drafted he goes D-League or overseas. Moss testing the waters is still a head scratcher for me. I think Moss comes back but just the fact he entered makes me think on if there was an ulterior Motive.

Quinn Snyder is also proof how narratives can change with good players. JU was a pretty good defender, sometimes it's more about the guys then coach.
Snyder is also proof of how the narrative can change for a coach. That guy is basketball's version of the Phoenix rising from the ashes.

Cook is NOWHERE near ready for the NBA. Not even close. His defense is non-existent and he's not even that great of a rebounder. With his size and athleticism, he should average a double double. He averaged 6.8 last season. Less than impressive.

He can dunk with the best of them, sure, but you have to have a lot bigger skill set than that in order to succeed in the NBA.

In addition, while his handles are OK, he plays out of control way too often. I think he averaged at least one offensive foul per game last season. Not. Ready. At. All.

Latest posts