So tired of Ferentz ball

No talented skill players do. Part of the reason the offense sucks so bad.

Oddly, the primary reason for our issues, specifically this year, is abysmal interior Oline play. Between Smity, ISM, Goodson, and I'd even say Tracy and possible Ragani(the receiver, notvthe punt returner)...overall, that's the most talent at skill positions, as a total group, than we've had in over a decade at least.

We are 6-0 with a minuscule chance at the West with even a avg Oline by historical Iowa oline standards. It has slowly declined over the last 5-7 years, a few standout linemen notwithstanding. But as a who unit, the oline hasn't been good/great for years.... and its noticeably bad this year, most notably in the interior.

The offensive line, which many thought would be a strength this year, is a problem. All the problems start with the offensive line. Who would have thought that with 2 320 pound tackles that they would suck at run blocking, pass blocking etc. 11 sacks in two games. Or is it 12?

The defensive line is average at the tackle position. Not saying they are bad, just average. The linebackers are still learning. Overall the defense is very good. But they can't carry the whole team.

And unfortunately, next year could be worse.

Oddly, the primary reason for our issues, specifically this year, is abysmal interior Oline play. Between Smity, ISM, Goodson, and I'd even say Tracy and possible Ragani(the receiver, notvthe punt returner)...overall, that's the most talent at skill positions, as a total group, than we've had in over a decade at least.

We are 6-0 with a minuscule chance at the West with even a avg Oline by historical Iowa oline standards. It has slowly declined over the last 5-7 years, a few standout linemen notwithstanding. But as a who unit, the oline hasn't been good/great for years.... and its noticeably bad this year, most notably in the interior.
This anemic and disjointed line play is a puzzle to me, when you consider that coaching an offensive line is the strength (supposedly) of KF. What is going on?

This anemic and disjointed line play is a puzzle to me, when you consider that coaching an offensive line is the strength (supposedly) of KF. What is going on?

After watching Wisconsin, it's obvious they are light years ahead of Iowa in line development.

It genuinely concerns me more than anything else. I know there have been a couple injuries and I fully concede that the narrative of great Iowa olines far outpaces the reality the last few years, but even the last few years it was at least a decent oline. The last 2 games is, by far, the worst performance of oline I can remember for at least 18 years, especially the interior.

Line play is the absolute foundation of everything for KF style ball. Without an at leastvdecent line....well... 17 points in 2 games happens.

Frustrating and depressing.

It genuinely concerns me more than anything else. I know there have been a couple injuries and I fully concede that the narrative of great Iowa olines far outpaces the reality the last few years, but even the last few years it was at least a decent oline. The last 2 games is, by far, the worst performance of oline I can remember for at least 18 years, especially the interior.

Line play is the absolute foundation of everything for KF style ball. Without an at leastvdecent line....well... 17 points in 2 games happens.

Frustrating and depressing.
It is exhausting...glad I switched to the Vegas vs Calgary hockey game. Iowa offense is in disarray, not many options. Won't be any coaching changes. Will look better vs roadkill teams, I hope. At Wisconsin...yikes.

Completely agree with this. Would love to see this team with even a moderately mobile QB who doesn’t shit his pants under pressure and a line that can occasionally pass protect. ISM and Goodson are ballers. Smith is solid. Tracy has big play potential and even Raigaini has wheels if we can ever get him the ball. Problem is Stanley isn’t consistently accurate even when he has time, which lately he hasn’t. Then there’s Brian calling the plays and you once again have a shit show on offense. Somebody like Tate or Banks would be killing teams for sending the house every play.

Wisconsin is stale too. They've been running the same plays for the last decade+ but they win.
Wisconsin tends to not use three offensive linemen to block one defensive tackle who is simply standing there to take up space.

Not trying to defend Ferentz here, as there is no way you can defend the atrocity that is the Iowa offense. But I think if we would have actually Ferentzed it up the last 2 weeks, 60/40 run pass split we probably win both games. Also not sure how we dont know our personnel better and who to throw what route to. They need to take some responsibility away from Stanley.

Agreed. Lot of defenders of the coaching staff want to point to the injuries. And that is a factor. But every team has injuries. Iowa hasn't had a real good offensive line in 5 or 6 years.

Add to the line problems is the fact that Iowa has one good running back in the mix. And that's Goodson. He needs another year or two in the weight room. The others are decent backups. Iowa runs a running back by committee because they don't have a dominate player at that position.

We can surmise all day long about the running backs and quarterback, in the end it starts and ends with the offensive line.

But I guess I have been for close to a decade... last conference championship 2004?

Since Tate to Holloway, Iowa has been a 6-8 win team every single year, except for 2009 and 2015 (and 2012's 4 wins). Not counting bowl games.

KF has taken this program as far as he is going to. Frankly, not sure he cares about winning anymore as much as he does coasting into retirement and setting up his son's future.

Stale indeed. We need some new blood to inject a little passion into this program.

Since Tate to Holloway, Iowa has been a 6-8 win team every single year, except for 2009 and 2015 (and 2012's 4 wins). Not counting bowl games.

Yep, the program is stale and KF has taken this program as far as he can. Frankly, not sure he cares about winning anymore so much as he does coasting into retirement and setting up his son's future.

Stale indeed. We need some new blood to inject a little passion into this program.

After 2012 would have been his last year at most programs

After 2012 would have been his last year at most programs

Yep and if not that, then 2014's 7-6 should have definitely done it. But we got 12-2 the next year and Barta blows his load and hands out a fresh 10 year contract. And guess what? Back to the same ole same ole. Anyone shocked?

Latest posts