So let's get this out of the way early....

Fran has had some 4 star guys. I think Jok may have been. Joe W and Tyler Cook I'm pretty sure were. But I agree he's still recruiting well. Point guard position is still his white whale of sorts. Was kinda hoping Bowen would be that and maybe he still can be. Just so early to tell we haven't seen much of him yet.

His ability to land his top priority guys in the portal is a fair criticism. That has a lot to do with NIL and I bet as Iowa gets more competitive with that. It's just so far it hasn't gone our way yet.
Yeah. I try to keep in mind that Bowen is what, 18-19/years old? Connor, Filip, and probably others aren’t likely to get carded at taverns. Older players in football and basketball are a big deal.

I think Rebraca is a huge loss and is an understating reason Iowa has been able to maintain this year. I feel like Iowa will have much more success in the portal this year. I think they get 2 bigs for sure. I blame NIL last season and Iowa not having that in place. Fran has said as much on podcasts that he didn't have the $$ to pay guys last year and that's what the kids want and so Iowa needs to play ball. Heard him say exactly like that in at least 3 or 4 interviews last summer.

Iowa is considered an exciting program to play for. Iowa has 3 Wooden award finalist the last 3 years and they are all different players. Iowa scores and has recent NBA wins, they have a competitive NIL and they are a program eligible for it's 5th straight NCAA.

Iowa sits in a very good spot coming into this offseason, winning results, player development to the NBA and a lot of playing time available in the post.

All that said, I think Tony Perkins could have a monster Sr. Season. A lot of people don't realize this, but Tony has only scored over 20 points 5 times in his career and all 5 of those games have been since Jan 15th. That's what you want - your best players excelling towards the end of the season. Iowa will play around him next year and he will be much more the man.

Iowa brings back Patrick McCaffery. A scoring 3/4 who averaged double digits most of this year before taking his pause. Pat could have a big year next year and be much more consistent.

Iowa brings back Peyton Sandfort, who absolutely scorched it the 2nd half of the year and has to be considered to be one of the more electric shooters in the country coming into next season.

We lose a lot, but we bring a lot back as well and if I know anything, I know Fran will compete to be in the top half of the conference like he's done in 10 out of the last 11 seasons.
Transfer portal. Mid Majors have a ton of talented players, like Filip. Let’s go.

That definitely came out wrong, I didn't mean head to head. In general, over the last decade, ISU has recruited a level above where Fran has and it appears they have some monster classes coming in. All I was saying is that, it doesn't always work out as planned or how we see it.

You wouldn't have convinced a soul on this board back when Iowa missed on Foster and DJ Carton that Iowa was going to be successful despite that. Those guys were going on to be rock star tournament darlings and Iowa was left at home with stupid Connor McCaffery who shouldn't even be playing D1 basketball and couple of fall back legacy recruits and some center that was too slow to make an impact.

Instead, Iowa has been dance eligible ever since, XF and DJC went to multiple schools and neither has played a minute in the NCAA tournament.

Things just rarely go the way we think they will or what they look like on the surface is all I am saying.
Wow.

Yeah. I try to keep in mind that Bowen is what, 18-19/years old? Connor, Filip, and probably others aren’t likely to get carded at taverns. Older players in football and basketball are a big deal.
Yeah the timeline on guys is wild now. There's some that'll look at the yr Bowen has had and want to toss him out with the bath water after one yr. I mean folks look at BJ Armstrongs true freshaman yr. He wasn't ready to play then either. But shortly thereafter he sure was. By yr 3 and 4 Bowen could still be a hell of a player and developing guys is Frans forte.

Yeah the timeline on guys is wild now. There's some that'll look at the yr Bowen has had and want to toss him out with the bath water after one yr. I mean folks look at BJ Armstrongs true freshaman yr. He wasn't ready to play then either. But shortly thereafter he sure was. By yr 3 and 4 Bowen could still be a hell of a player and developing guys is Frans forte.
He typically gets something out of everyone who stays in program, they either develop and have a good monster back half of their career, or they don't develop and a lot of those guys move on.

Fran only needs to point at his 2 starting guards now, Tony Perkins and Ahron Ulis, both who barely played their freshman seasons and both had smaller roles their Sophomore seasons, but have seen their roles, minutes and contributions to the program skyrocket their Jr. years.

I think most level headed players understand that there is an adjustment period and it takes time to ramp up to the speed of the college level.

Those that stick with it and put in the time are going to be a big part of Iowa's program, the ones who don't, again, find their way out usually.

He typically gets something out of everyone who stays in program, they either develop and have a good monster back half of their career, or they don't develop and a lot of those guys move on.

Fran only needs to point at his 2 starting guards now, Tony Perkins and Ahron Ulis, both who barely played their freshman seasons and both had smaller roles their Sophomore seasons, but have seen their roles, minutes and contributions to the program skyrocket their Jr. years.

I think most level headed players understand that there is an adjustment period and it takes time to ramp up to the speed of the college level.

Those that stick with it and put in the time are going to be a big part of Iowa's program, the ones who don't, again, find their way out usually.
I agree with the gist of your take here. I dunno about the Ulis inclusion so much... I think he's been a tad on the disappointing side of things. Physically he should be able to ball as big and strong as he is. He's like 6'2 and a solid 190-195 I think. Bowen is probably closer to 170 and he could use some meat on his bones. Just wish Ulis could consistently hit some shots and play make more. He seems to float and disappear out there some. But he'll probably be back next yr so his story isn't done either. If he can get up to 10 pts/4assists and play more efficiently he could have a solid ending to his career here. I think he's capable of that maybe more.

I agree with the gist of your take here. I dunno about the Ulis inclusion so much... I think he's been a tad on the disappointing side of things. Physically he should be able to ball as big and strong as he is. He's like 6'2 and a solid 190-195 I think. Bowen is probably closer to 170 and he could use some meat on his bones. Just wish Ulis could consistently hit some shots and play make more. He seems to float and disappear out there some. But he'll probably be back next yr so his story isn't done either. If he can get up to 10 pts/4assists and play more efficiently he could have a solid ending to his career here. I think he's capable of that maybe more.
Well yeah, I just meant the path to playing time which is what opens the opportunity to play and examples of what it takes to come out the other end are on display for Fran to sell. Bowen, much like AU and TP, didn't contribute a lot their freshman seasons.

Personally - I love Ulis. He's the kind of guy Iowa needs when we have so many scoring options. We don't need him to score, we just need him to be a threat to and I think he's at least that. IMO, he's had a better Jr. season then Joe Toussaint and has more upside for a better Sr. season then Joe Toussaint. I also got the feeling that while Fran didn't push Joe out, he wasn't considered to a big loss or a big piece of Iowa's future. That writing was on the wall after his Jr. year.

IMO, I don't think Fran looks at AU like he did Joe. I think AU is a huge part of this year and next years plans and unlike Joe being passed by TP and AU, I don't see Bowen passing either any time soon.

Well yeah, I just meant the path to playing time which is what opens the opportunity to play and examples of what it takes to come out the other end are on display for Fran to sell. Bowen, much like AU and TP, didn't contribute a lot their freshman seasons.

Personally - I love Ulis. He's the kind of guy Iowa needs when we have so many scoring options. We don't need him to score, we just need him to be a threat to and I think he's at least that. IMO, he's had a better Jr. season then Joe Toussaint and has more upside for a better Sr. season then Joe Toussaint. I also got the feeling that while Fran didn't push Joe out, he wasn't considered to a big loss or a big piece of Iowa's future. That writing was on the wall after his Jr. year.

IMO, I don't think Fran looks at AU like he did Joe. I think AU is a huge part of this year and next years plans and unlike Joe being passed by TP and AU, I don't see Bowen passing either any time soon.
Yeah the JT Ulis dynamic is interesting. It's a fit thing. JT had a tough time playing with a certain pace. He was balls to the wall all the time and even though we like to play fast for the most part he had a tough time adjusting to the situational game play at times. Defensively if Ulis had JTs quickness ability/aggressiveness at that end then holy smokes now that'd be a player.

JT was with us 3 yrs right? It wasn't like they only had one yr to try and reign him in and develop. After 3 yrs guys kinda are who they are for the most part. No bad blood on anybodies side for him wanting to go to WVU. I think he'd have started over Ulis had he stayed though. Maybe that's debateable I dunno. Neither of them have an explosive offensive game. JT could dribble drive but his decision making and types of shots he'd take were questionable at times. Ulis just doesn't seem to do it often. Was it the PSU game where he played phenomenal? It's tough to not see that game he had and just wish he could bottle it up and do it more often.

I think Rebraca is a huge loss and is an understating reason Iowa has been able to maintain this year. I feel like Iowa will have much more success in the portal this year. I think they get 2 bigs for sure. I blame NIL last season and Iowa not having that in place. Fran has said as much on podcasts that he didn't have the $$ to pay guys last year and that's what the kids want and so Iowa needs to play ball. Heard him say exactly like that in at least 3 or 4 interviews last summer.

Iowa is considered an exciting program to play for. Iowa has 3 Wooden award finalist the last 3 years and they are all different players. Iowa scores and has recent NBA wins, they have a competitive NIL and they are a program eligible for it's 5th straight NCAA.

Iowa sits in a very good spot coming into this offseason, winning results, player development to the NBA and a lot of playing time available in the post.

All that said, I think Tony Perkins could have a monster Sr. Season. A lot of people don't realize this, but Tony has only scored over 20 points 5 times in his career and all 5 of those games have been since Jan 15th. That's what you want - your best players excelling towards the end of the season. Iowa will play around him next year and he will be much more the man.

Iowa brings back Patrick McCaffery. A scoring 3/4 who averaged double digits most of this year before taking his pause. Pat could have a big year next year and be much more consistent.

Iowa brings back Peyton Sandfort, who absolutely scorched it the 2nd half of the year and has to be considered to be one of the more electric shooters in the country coming into next season.

We lose a lot, but we bring a lot back as well and if I know anything, I know Fran will compete to be in the top half of the conference like he's done in 10 out of the last 11 seasons.

Are we certain Perk will be wearing an Iowa uniform next year? Because I'm not. You can throw Bowen and Ulis in this conversation as well. In your opinion, what are the odds that all three are back next year?

Hypothetically what would be the advantage for using the Auburn game as the defining point of whether we keep Fran or not. Wouldn't basing a decision and using his collective body of work make more sense as it's more telling? And again as discussed by many others who would the sites be set on to replace him. You can't just terminate an established coach simply on a whim without a plan in place.

Are we certain Perk will be wearing an Iowa uniform next year? Because I'm not. You can throw Bowen and Ulis in this conversation as well. In your opinion, what are the odds that all three are back next year?
I don't think we can be certain of anything and I am sure Iowa will face some attrition somewhere. He could pull a Moss, but I don't see it. Never say never tho.

Who says Fran is here for that matter? Plenty of rumors around him, might as well consider that too.

I feel like TP has been pretty tight with the McCaffery's at Iowa and if you've been a player in the program as long as TP, who's considered an up and coming star that will be the focus of said B1G program the upcoming season, why leave for an uncertain future? Who else is going to have more to sell then that? I'm sure someone will have the $$$ and I would say if he gets poached that changes the outlook.

But we can do that with every player in every program, can't live your life worried about what might happen.

McDermott going to be in the running for ND too IMO - I too am a secondary Creighton fan (love and hate them sometimes depending on the year, more of a proximity thing and all of my friends are CU fans), go to several games a year living in Council Bluffs.
Chris Holtman had also been mentioned as being on Notre Dame's radar.

Chad Leistikow had an article out today. He spoke with Bowan. To paraphrase, DB was talking about what he was doing to stay sharp and what he needed to do to continue to improve. Liestikow also said that he did not sound like someone who was looking at putting his name in the portal. Take that for what it's worth.

I don't think we can be certain of anything and I am sure Iowa will face some attrition somewhere. He could pull a Moss, but I don't see it. Never say never tho.

Who says Fran is here for that matter? Plenty of rumors around him, might as well consider that too.

I feel like TP has been pretty tight with the McCaffery's at Iowa and if you've been a player in the program as long as TP, who's considered an up and coming star that will be the focus of said B1G program the upcoming season, why leave for an uncertain future? Who else is going to have more to sell then that? I'm sure someone will have the $$$ and I would say if he gets poached that changes the outlook.

But we can do that with every player in every program, can't live your life worried about what might happen.
Chad Leistikow had an article out today. He spoke with Bowan. To paraphrase, DB was talking about what he was doing to stay sharp and what he needed to do to continue to improve. Liestikow also said that he did not sound like someone who was looking at putting his name in the portal. Take that for what it's worth.

I don't think all three guys are back next year. If I were a betting man I would say one of the three are back.

Well I believe you’re wrong. Some people are fine with the same leadership in place forever but I feel organizations or teams stagnant when progress isn’t happening and you still keep bringing the same people back.

Stop living in fear. What Fran has done has been great, but he himself should want a chance of scenery if he can’t find success in march. If he makes a sweet 16 though he should stay until he wants to retire. But if you can’t in 15 years, then maybe needs to move on.
I’m not living in fear. I’m also not living in pie in the sky stupidity thinking Iowa is going to get someone better.

I’m not living in fear. I’m also not living in pie in the sky stupidity thinking Iowa is going to get someone better.
When did I ever say I thought iowa would get someone better? You don’t lower your standards because of risk. I’m well aware iowa could get someone worst. But Fran has had his time and shouldn’t be a forever coach unless noteable wins happen when it really matters.

I’m not really crazy about keeping the same leadership in place for over a decade unless the guy is an untouchable. And with Frans big ten tournament and NCAA tournament record, he is not untouchable.

I don’t think it’s realistic you can fire him next year if a poor season happens. But a real AD would put some pressure on him to show progress beyond regular season results. Possibly forcing him to let go assistance and give up control on who they’re replaced by.

Now of course Barta wouldn’t do this. While I’m opposed to firing either Kirk or Fran, barta can absolutely kick rocks.

Let’s refrain from the name calling when someone doesn’t pad you on the back for your super interesting never wrong opinions.