So let me get this straight...

I haven't read where anyone has stated Beathard is a better passer than Rudock. I think Rudock is a better fit for the pro style offense KF prefers and I think Beathard is a better fit for a more run oriented read option offense. Again, I haven't read anyone saying Beathard is better than Rudock.

Yeah I'm not sure why we don't have some packages where we have Beathard in to run the read option. He could give D's fits containing him running the ball. I saw nothing nor have seen anything to suggest Ruddock should be replaced. If the coaching staff doesn't call that out pass against NIU we are 4-0 right now.

Based on the fact Beathard looked very comfortable and confident with the read option and Rudock doesn't. I cannot recall, of the few times Rudock has run the read option, that he looked comfortable or natural doing it. Beathard does. And, the turf monster gets everyone. Most people have experienced slightly stubbing a toe while just walking. When you do it while you're running, you're likely to fall down.

Rudock runs the ball every bit as well as Beathard. He doesn't execute the read option the same way Beathard does, but maybe the coaches don't want to have Rudock in many designed runs because of his size. Otherwise, it's just something that he'll learn with experience.

You're talking about execution of one play. Not physical ability.

It showed Iowa has 2 very capable guys at quarterback.

Its a good thing to have. I've never been a fan of a 2 qb system, but its nice to have what appear to be two very capable options that offer a little slightly different looks. Both seem to be "gamers"...

I'm encouraged. Add highly touted Shimonek...I like the stable, depth.

The next couple games will tell us a lot if they both get snaps...

Rudock runs the ball every bit as well as Beathard. He doesn't execute the read option the same way Beathard does, but maybe the coaches don't want to have Rudock in many designed runs because of his size. Otherwise, it's just something that he'll learn with experience.

You're talking about execution of one play. Not physical ability.

Why does it bother you that people think Beathard is a better runner? Rudock doesn't run more because it's a last resort for him, just like JVB. I don't think anyone is suggesting CJ is Braxton Miller, just that he looks more comfortable running. CJ was clearly more comfortable running the read option (i.e. not handing it off every single time).

JR is clearly capable of running, he's a D1 athlete, that doesn't mean it's a strength of his.

He has to learn how to hold onto the ball and run? What?

Why does it bother you that people think Beathard is a better runner? Rudock doesn't run more because it's a last resort for him, just like JVB. I don't think anyone is suggesting CJ is Braxton Miller, just that he looks more comfortable running. CJ was clearly more comfortable running the read option (i.e. not handing it off every single time).

JR is clearly capable of running, he's a D1 athlete, that doesn't mean it's a strength of his.

He has to learn how to hold onto the ball and run? What?

Rudock is far more mobile than any starting quarterback we've had since Tate. He uses it as a last resort most of the time, yes. That doesn't mean it's a weakness. And being a D1 athlete doesn't mean a guy can run. Byron Leftwich was once a D1 athlete.

If he's not keeping the ball because he's not making the right read, THAT is something that should come with experience. Any idiot can hold onto the ball and try to run. Knowing when to do that is the key (hence the term READ option). If he's not keeping it because he's being told not to because he's still pretty scrawny, then it's something that should come as he fills out.

And the reason it bugs me is because Arvada was using Beathard's supposed advantage as a runner as evidence that he brings more to the offense than Rudock. And I disagree on both points. Beathard definitely appears to be capable, and it's good to have a solid second option. But Rudock is the best choice.

Based on the fact Beathard looked very comfortable and confident with the read option and Rudock doesn't. I cannot recall, of the few times Rudock has run the read option, that he looked comfortable or natural doing it. Beathard does. And, the turf monster gets everyone. Most people have experienced slightly stubbing a toe while just walking. When you do it while you're running, you're likely to fall down.
In the running department: Beathard has more speed than Rudock, he holds on to the ball, and has more girth. It's obvious who has the most zip on the ball - Beathard.

Can't please some of you guys. You complain the offense doesn't do more. When the offense can do more, as with Beathard, you choose the game manager as QB... Typical Ferentz decision.

Rudock is far more mobile than any starting quarterback we've had since Tate. He uses it as a last resort most of the time, yes. That doesn't mean it's a weakness. And being a D1 athlete doesn't mean a guy can run. Byron Leftwich was once a D1 athlete.

If he's not keeping the ball because he's not making the right read, THAT is something that should come with experience...But Rudock is the best choice.
To manage the game, you mean?

Latest posts