So is no news on Brust

Ben Brust will never set wear an Iowa uniform. Face it. Time to start mining for talent somewhere else. No one wants to play for Iowa. Recent history proves that. Where is Larson headed again?
Don't worry, you still have Anthony Tucke...
Jermain Davi...
Tyler Smi...
Josh Freem...
Jake Kell..
Tony Freem...

This all comes down to whether you believe the rule is valuable or not, to protect against intra-conference poaching.

If you do, then Wisconsin's waiver request cannot be approved or the rule is meaningless.

What's tricky is that now (based on a point in the linked article) we could be deemed the bad guys just for continuing to recruit Ben. And that doesn't sit right with me. We've bent over backwards for him, do we now need to bend forwards and every other direction? If I'm Barta I draw the line here. Tough luck Wisconsin and Ben Brust, it's time to protect Iowa's interests. Ben still has 100's of schools to choose from, good luck and godspeed.

EVEN IF Fran says today "we are no longer recruiting Ben Brust", that faculty committee needs to say "sorry, we see what's going on here". And not only deny the waiver, but reprimand Bo Ryan and others for offering the kid a scholarship and campus visits before any waiver was granted.

If that's not poaching, under_this_rule, then what is?

(if you think it's a bad rule, none of the above is relevant of course)

Excellent points, Billso.

The fact of the matter does remain that Iowa released him from the NLI, then went the extra step to grant the waiver for interconference transfer. Iowa did that for Brust. Now it's in the Big Ten's hands. I know there was miscommunication, but for Iowa to be put in the wrong on this still baffles me.

The rule was in place to keep the football programs from poaching in-conference recruits. The same is applicable to BB. However, there either needs to be a rule that says, "if a coach is fired/removed from their position, the NLI is null and void" OR they keep it the way it is. Exceptions to rules start to become rules.

Iowa will continue to recruit Ben. However, it's just at this point I think there's a lot of frustration by a lot of different people. I still think Ben needs to just sign on with Iowa and forget this fiasco. Help bring Iowa back to a level they deserve to be at - you know - the same reason he committed to Iowa in the first place. But like I said previously, Iowa needs a 100% committed Ben Brust if he's coming to Iowa. We can't afford any more transfers.

Ben Brust will never set wear an Iowa uniform. Face it. Time to start mining for talent somewhere else. No one wants to play for Iowa. Recent history proves that. Where is Larson headed again?
Don't worry, you still have Anthony Tucke...
Jermain Davi...
Tyler Smi...
Josh Freem...
Jake Kell..
Tony Freem...

Be gone, troll.

poison_troll_kill_brn-200x200.jpg

Excellent points, Billso.

The fact of the matter does remain that Iowa released him from the NLI, then went the extra step to grant the waiver for interconference transfer. Iowa did that for Brust. Now it's in the Big Ten's hands. I know there was miscommunication, but for Iowa to be put in the wrong on this still baffles me.

The rule was in place to keep the football programs from poaching in-conference recruits. The same is applicable to BB. However, there either needs to be a rule that says, "if a coach is fired/removed from their position, the NLI is null and void" OR they keep it the way it is. Exceptions to rules start to become rules.

Iowa will continue to recruit Ben. However, it's just at this point I think there's a lot of frustration by a lot of different people. I still think Ben needs to just sign on with Iowa and forget this fiasco. Help bring Iowa back to a level they deserve to be at - you know - the same reason he committed to Iowa in the first place. But like I said previously, Iowa needs a 100% committed Ben Brust if he's coming to Iowa. We can't afford any more transfers.

His parents need hobbies. Education takes up 30-40% of most state budgets. Why? Because parents want to sue if their kids don't get what they want. Education used to be about opportunity, and still is in other countries. Japanese high school students study 3 hours a night because it will be a bad reflection on their family if they do not achieve highly. The Brusts are a family that cannot handle telling their child that he cannot have whatever he wants.

It appears that the B-10, and Iowa, are expending considerable resources to address this issue that could easily be resolved if the Brusts simply required their child to honor his word. This scenario is a microcosm of society right now.

I believe Brust would prefer to play in the Big Ten than the Pac 10 or ACC or some mid-major conference. With that as a given, does anyone think he would choose NW over Wiscy if the appeal is successful? I respect NW as an academic institution and the BB program is improving, but come on now. :)

Frankly the only scenario in which I would really feel comfortable having Brust sign with Iowa now is if the appeal is successful and he spurns other Big Ten offers to sign with Iowa after all. I would be fine with the idea of Fran quietly pulling the offer at this point.

I believe Brust would prefer to play in the Big Ten than the Pac 10 or ACC or some mid-major conference. With that as a given, does anyone think he would choose NW over Wiscy if the appeal is successful? I respect NW as an academic institution and the BB program is improving, but come on now. :)

Frankly the only scenario in which I would really feel comfortable having Brust sign with Iowa now is if the appeal is successful and he spurns other Big Ten offers to sign with Iowa after all. I would be fine with the idea of Fran quietly pulling the offer at this point.
I could see NW over UW because it's closer to home. Brust likes Carmody. It's Ben's hope to play in the Big Ten.

I agree w a lot of your points, FB.

Rules are rules and this is a good rule that needs to be enforced or a precedent is set and there will be uncontrolled poaching at each school that has a coaching change. Ben Brust knew the rules when he signed the LOI. If he didn't think about the possibility Lickliter would not be the coach the following season that is his own fault, not Iowa's. It's like a good faith deposit when making an offer on a house. If you change your mind, you are out that money. If you find something very legit about the house you didn't see the first time and want to back out of it for a very good reason ... fine. But understand that you are out that deposit. That is the same thing here. He signed the LOI fully understanding the Big Ten rules. Now he wants to be though of as "above the rules." Sorry, Ben. Move along and man up that you signed the LOI. If you wanted to keep your options open to choose another Big Ten institution - you should not have signed the LOI. Period.

Do we know that Fran hasn't "quietly pulled the offer"? I'm not so sure he hasn't and Brusts won't say anything if he has because it would look as bad for them as it supposedly would for Iowa. IF he hasn't then perhaps the only reason is to hold up the appeal process to prevent Brust from going to Wisconsin or NW. If he goes to either UW or NW I will be P1SSED.

All we know is Wisconsin is appealing the decision. Nowhere have I read Brust asked them to. Maybe they want it waived simply so they can continue to recruit him and be able to actually offer a scholarship.

hey hwy30...I'm in Ames and was at the boone/story I-Club last night also. was talking to Dolph before the program started about the clones hire and lets just stay he had me in stitches.

where along 30 are ya?

I thought Brands, Dolph and Ferentz were great!! Not to get off the topic of this thread to much but i'm in Boone

Do we know that Fran hasn't "quietly pulled the offer"? I'm not so sure he hasn't and Brusts won't say anything if he has because it would look as bad for them as it supposedly would for Iowa. IF he hasn't then perhaps the only reason is to hold up the appeal process to prevent Brust from going to Wisconsin or NW. If he goes to either UW or NW I will be P1SSED.
Brust still holds an offer from Iowa.
Fran and Ben are still talking.

... good or bad?

My first thought was bad. Have to assume Caff let him know during their last visit the train was leaving the station and he needed to decide whether he was on it.

Ben appears to still be leaving his options open. As Stormin posts in another thread, he likely will get some notice this weekend in the HS Academic All-American game.

It must be something about McCaffery's style of play that has him nervous. He obviously liked Lickliter's style of play, and from we've read and heard, McCaffery doesn't play the same way (for which I'm personally thankful). He may feel threatened about coming into Iowa's program, and needs to decide if he can hack it here, now.

hey hwy30...I'm in Ames and was at the boone/story I-Club last night also. was talking to Dolph before the program started about the clones hire and lets just stay he had me in stitches.

where along 30 are ya?

He has me in stitches every football game.

Latest posts