So, if we happen to beat Kansas......

The only reason ISU fan can get out of bed this morning, is that Kansas lost. Yesterday has to kill ISU fans, as Iowa kicked Nebraska's azz in Lincoln (now how does their "special" win years ago look)? Then Iowa absolutely destroys UTEP and Floyd on the court.

The only saving grace for ISU is Kansas lost. Worst nightmare ever for Clone fans would be Iowa beating Kansas.......

Maybe this doesn't hold true for you Bryce, but you know darn well it holds true for 95% of ISU fans

I don't know how much that football game hurts them, because they hate Nebraska pretty hard too.

That might be a bit strong. I bet 75% of clone fans at least didn't even know Iowa could be playing ku.

As far as iowa beating nu zero effect on me, didn't watch one minute of it. If Iowa State sucks it kills all enjoyment of football for me. Haven't even watched all of the chiefs games this year.

Why would I care about Tim Floyd? Last time he coached Iowa State was almost 2 decades ago.

I care infinitely more about the game 2 weeks from now than any game iowa could play now. If Iowa State wins everything is moot. If iowa wins let me assure you I'll be infinitely more annoyed by my own fanbase than anything even HFN could dish out.

I figured most of what I said didn't hold true for you Bryce. If 75% of Clone fans didn't know Iowa could play Kansas, then that is not the casual fan that I am talking about. 95% of the fan base I'm talking about would have been destroyed if Iowa beat Kansas....it is kind of an identity thing now, as football was terrible for ISU and they are onto BB and they don't want Big Bro stealing any of their Thunder.

I don't know how much that football game hurts them, because they hate Nebraska pretty hard too.
Many of them hate Iowa that much more.....kind of like Hawk fan really (hating ISU more than Nebby when they were Big12). Me personally I like ISU sports, football and BB. I don't care for all the Hawk hating Clown fans though.

I figured most of what I said didn't hold true for you Bryce. If 75% of Clone fans didn't know Iowa could play Kansas, then that is not the casual fan that I am talking about. 95% of the fan base I'm talking about would have been destroyed if Iowa beat Kansas....it is kind of an identity thing now, as football was terrible for ISU and they are onto BB and they don't want Big Bro stealing any of their Thunder.

Iowa State is ranked ahead of Iowa and unless they totally mess up they will be undefeated when the two teams play. Was iowa bummed when Iowa State beat michigan? It did take a lot of the early focus off of iowa especially since they were playing crap schools at the time.

You really don't understand how much KU is disliked by a significant number of ISU basketball fans. To ISU fan KU right now is their biggest rival when it comes to hoops, not Iowa. You ask ISU fan who do you want to beat most in football, they will say Iowa, ( I think beating an OU or Texas is much more significant) ask them about basketball they will say KU and it would not be close.

There was a poll on CF if you had a choice of beating Michigan or Iowa in basketball, majority said Michigan. And CF is a pretty radical bunch with Iowa dislike on that board very high.

Sure there are some that dislike Iowa more simply because they are Iowa, you wanna beat them at every sport offered.

Iowa was expected to be good this year, ISU was a question mark at best. Usually if there is stealing of thunder its when the unknown team does better than expected when compared to the known commodity. So not sure what you mean by that statement. Maybe you were referring to ISU success the past 2 years going to the NCAA, and now it has to be shared with Iowa who will be going to the NCAA this year.

Like I said before due to the number of games played basketball, playing a single game against a non-conference opponent has much less impact in hoops vs football. Of course ISU fan wants to beat Iowa, but if given a choice of KU or Iowa, 8 out of 10 would say KU. The ones that don't probably are the ones who sit on the rivalry forum everyday pounding their chest trying to convince a like minded person from a different school of why they are wrong.

Villanova vs Iowa should be a good one. Nova seems to have pretty good guards, so that always helps in college ball. That said Iowa wins this by 8-10 I think.

Last edited:
The only reason ISU fan can get out of bed this morning, is that Kansas lost. Yesterday has to kill ISU fans, as Iowa kicked Nebraska's azz in Lincoln (now how does their "special" win years ago look)? Then Iowa absolutely destroys UTEP and Floyd on the court.

The only saving grace for ISU is Kansas lost. Worst nightmare ever for Clone fans would be Iowa beating Kansas.......

Maybe this doesn't hold true for you Bryce, but you know darn well it holds true for 95% of ISU fans

All due respect, that makes absolutely zero sense. Why would ISU fans' worst nightmare be Iowa beating Kansas? Did it ruin your day when ISU beat No 7 Michigan? If it did, I feel sorry for you. You might need to get some sort of non-messageboard-related hobby.

Any smart fan would understand that KU will end up with a solid RPI regardless of if they lost to Iowa or not, and all it would do on the Iowa side would improve their season RPI, which would give ISU a chance at another quality non-con win. Iowa's RPI could be good at the end of the year if they beat a couple of good teams, but without the Kansas game their RPI will continue to be sub-par until they beat somebody good. With tournament stakes on the line, ISU fans just hope the yearly rivalry scheduled can be considered a good win or a good loss after both spent so much time being bad losses for the other in the last decade.

You really don't understand how much KU is disliked by a significant number of ISU basketball fans. To ISU fan KU right now is their biggest rival when it comes to hoops, not Iowa. You ask ISU fan who do you want to beat most in football, they will say Iowa, ( I think beating an OU or Texas is much more significant) ask them about basketball they will say KU and it would not be close.

There was a poll on CF if you had a choice of beating Michigan or Iowa in basketball, majority said Michigan. And CF is a pretty radical bunch with Iowa dislike on that board very high.

Sure there are some that dislike Iowa more simply because they are Iowa, you wanna beat them at every sport offered.

Iowa was expected to be good this year, ISU was a question mark at best. Usually if there is stealing of thunder its when the unknown team does better than expected when compared to the known commodity. So not sure what you mean by that statement. Maybe you were referring to ISU success the past 2 years going to the NCAA, and now it has to be shared with Iowa who will be going to the NCAA this year.

Like I said before due to the number of games played basketball, playing a single game against a non-conference opponent has much less impact in hoops vs football. Of course ISU fan wants to beat Iowa, but if given a choice of KU or Iowa, 8 out of 10 would say KU. The ones that don't probably are the ones who sit on the rivalry forum everyday pounding their chest trying to convince a like minded person from a different school of why they are wrong.

Villanova vs Iowa should be a good one. Nova seems to have pretty good guards, so that always helps in college ball. That said Iowa wins this by 8-10 I think.

Two of the most accurate statements Ive seen on HN in weeks. Kansas traditionally would be a bigger win hands down. With RPI wins being such a tournament booster, it only makes sense. If Iowa is more relevant RPI-wise this year, then maybe it is different.

Two of the most accurate statements Ive seen on HN in weeks. Kansas traditionally would be a bigger win hands down. With RPI wins being such a tournament booster, it only makes sense. If Iowa is more relevant RPI-wise this year, then maybe it is different.

So you think if Iowa beats Nova, they will not get an RPI boost from winning this tournament just because they didn't beat Kansas??? They will get an RPI boost just for playing in this tournament and another for beating the team that beat KU if it happens. Furthermore, last I saw the Hawks were #14 in KenPom, so I am not sure their RPI is hurting them at all at this point. So much can change, as we are only 7 games into the season.

So you think if Iowa beats Nova, they will not get an RPI boost from winning this tournament just because they didn't beat Kansas??? They will get an RPI boost just for playing in this tournament and another for beating the team that beat KU if it happens. Furthermore, last I saw the Hawks were #14 in KenPom, so I am not sure their RPI is hurting them at all at this point. So much can change, as we are only 7 games into the season.

When will people learn that KenPom doesn't mean anything right now

Its not a about liking or hating KU. ISU fans hate the idea that iowa could be good enough to beat kansas. They see beating kansas as something only they can do.

If the two played every isu fan i know would be rooting for ku.

You really put any stock into Kenpom right now? Do you honestly think a win over an unranked Xavier team and a bunch of wins of Sister Mary's of the Poor is placing Iowa with an accurate RPI standing at this moment? A lot of teams have played cupcakes only to this point. A majority actually. Right now KenPom is about as useless as an appendix. Iowa will have it's chances at a good RPI but to say the competition they've played to this point would accurately put then at #14 is just dumb. A win over Villanova will help, but not near as much as a KU win. Same goes for the ISU perspective. Cyclone fans want Iowa's RPI to be high at season's end too, whether the December game is a win or a loss.

Its not a about liking or hating KU. ISU fans hate the idea that iowa could be good enough to beat kansas. They see beating kansas as something only they can do.

If the two played every isu fan i know would be rooting for ku.

This is exactly it, and you can tell I struck a nerve. They don't want Iowa to beat Kansas, when they can't beat Kansas.

As far as ISU goes, I root for them every game. I wanted them to beat OSU last year, I rooted for them against Michigan and BYU, and I wish they could kick Kansas' azz. What ISU BB does in Ames affects Iowa about 1%, and vice versa. I think most of the problem is fans just don't want to hear the trash out of the rivals mouth, and that is why they want the other to be bad. I'm not an insecure person, so I just don't think that way

You really put any stock into Kenpom right now? Do you honestly think a win over an unranked Xavier team and a bunch of wins of Sister Mary's of the Poor is placing Iowa with an accurate RPI standing at this moment? A lot of teams have played cupcakes only to this point. A majority actually. Right now KenPom is about as useless as an appendix. Iowa will have it's chances at a good RPI but to say the competition they've played to this point would accurately put then at #14 is just dumb. A win over Villanova will help, but not near as much as a KU win. Same goes for the ISU perspective. Cyclone fans want Iowa's RPI to be high at season's end too, whether the December game is a win or a loss.

Pleasssssseeeeeee. ISU is gonna play 3 top 50 teams in the non con (Iowa, Michigan, BYU) getting 2 of those at home. Iowa will play 4 (ISU, ND, Xavier, Villanova) one at home, one on the road, and 2 neutral sites. After tonights game, Iowa's schedule will have been stronger to this point.

Iowa will have a tougher Non con schedule and their conference schedule is going to be much, much stronger than ISU's.

....and back to our regularly scheduled program.....

If Iowa now beats Nova, where do we get ranked?

Top 15? 15-20?

I'd guess 16-18th or so.

Pleasssssseeeeeee. ISU is gonna play 3 top 50 teams in the non con (Iowa, Michigan, BYU) getting 2 of those at home. Iowa will play 4 (ISU, ND, Xavier, Villanova) one at home, one on the road, and 2 neutral sites. After tonights game, Iowa's schedule will have been stronger to this point.

Iowa will have a tougher Non con schedule and their conference schedule is going to be much, much stronger than ISU's.

Iowa State is going to play Boise state most likely in their tourney and it will be a big disappointment for that program if they aren't in the top 50.

Iowa will play a better conference schedule but noncons will be similar.

This is exactly it, and you can tell I struck a nerve. They don't want Iowa to beat Kansas, when they can't beat Kansas.

As far as ISU goes, I root for them every game. I wanted them to beat OSU last year, I rooted for them against Michigan and BYU, and I wish they could kick Kansas' azz. What ISU BB does in Ames affects Iowa about 1%, and vice versa. I think most of the problem is fans just don't want to hear the trash out of the rivals mouth, and that is why they want the other to be bad. I'm not an insecure person, so I just don't think that way

If I was interested in extracting the maximum amount of hawk tears on December 13th I would want to see Iowa beat ku, come in to hilton undefeated, and walk out with a loss. The hawkeye equivalent of Jamblaya would be devastated by that.

Uh what? I'll give you Nova, they look legit, but Xavier does not t look like a top 50 team after this tournament. Got worked by a not-very-good USC team today and went 0-3 in Atlantis. Also, RPI-wise, there's no way unranked Notre Dame (home), No. 17 ISU/Nova (road) is tougher than No. 7 Michigan/No. 23 Iowa (home), BYU (road). BYU's only losses are to No. 17 ISU and No. 12 Wichita State. They are equal non-cons at best, but if you look at it from an outsider's perspective it would favor ISU in the SOS boost.

Uh what? I'll give you Nova, they look legit, but Xavier does not t look like a top 50 team after this tournament. Got worked by a not-very-good USC team today and went 0-3 in Atlantis. Also, RPI-wise, there's no way unranked Notre Dame (home), No. 17 ISU/Nova (road) is tougher than No. 7 Michigan/No. 23 Iowa (home), BYU (road). BYU's only losses are to No. 17 ISU and No. 12 Wichita State. They are equal non-cons at best, but if you look at it from an outsider's perspective it would favor ISU in the SOS boost.

Michigan ain't #7. It doesn't matter what they were when you played, they will only help you by how good then end up ultimately being.

Either way it is irrelevant. Iowa conference schedule is goooo much tougher than ISU's that it's laughable. I mean you play 3 teams that have a pulse, for 6 tough games.

It's an advance copy of the Monday KXNO spin. Thanks, I guess...

Last edited:

Latest posts