So if we go 0'fer the rest of the season....

SpiderRico

....does Fran survive?

I can't imagine another P5 school that would allow a coach that didn't absorb any substantial injuries to come back after a cratering like that.

If he does come back, be prepared for the morgue-like atmosphere that we had in Lick's final year.

I doubt he gets fired, but I hope he would at least be forced to make changes if he wants to continue. I assume that would be replacing at least one assistant, maybe more. Just my humble opinion from a distance.

I doubt he gets fired, but I hope he would at least be forced to make changes if he wants to continue. I assume that would be replacing at least one assistant, maybe more. Just my humble opinion from a distance.

Those "requirements" never work. It only delays the inevitable. May as well cut bait. They tell you pretty early on in leadership....hire slow and fire fast. There's a reason for that....

Even if we don't go 0-fer, this pic might look about right for next season. Oh, and good luck landing that top PG the way this season is playing out. What good recruit is going to want to join this, unless they grew up dreaming of being a Hawkeye?

Carver-Hawkeye-Arena-Section-AA-Row-15-on-11-20-2016_FL.jpg

Last edited:
Those "requirements" never work. It only delays the inevitable. May as well cut bait. They tell you pretty early on in leadership....hire slow and fire fast. There's a reason for that....

Pretty sure since the end of 2005 KF has completely revamped his staff. Multiple time in certain positions. HASN'T FIXED THE PROBLEM.

Even if we don't go 0-fer, this might look about right for next season. Oh, and good luck landing that top PG the way this season is playing out. What good recruit is going to want to join this, unless they grew up dreaming of being a Hawkeye?

Carver-Hawkeye-Arena-Section-AA-Row-15-on-11-20-2016_FL.jpg

We don't need a top PG, we just need a PG. How many games, even against so-called "scrub teams" have we thought....man, that PG is pretty good. We can't even get him with Fran.

But put a competent head coach in place with guys who can recruit (other than in-state individuals of the, shall we say, Caucasian Persuasion) and we'll be fine.

Matt Painter went 5-13 at Purdue a few seasons ago. Now they are one of the best teams in the country.

I would like to keep Fran and fire most of the posters in this thread

That 5-13 Purdue team was fairly competitive...even if their record was poor. Most wouldn't necessarily be calling for Fran's head once this season was concluded if we showed even a hint of being competitive. We've trailed by double digits in conference games for something like 80% of the total minutes.

Didn't read the reply. But honestly, his replacements for both Norm and KOK were a step down. His assistants don't get better when they are replaced. The proof is right there in his record since the glory run of 2002-2004. The gaps between special seasons keep widening. It is a sick joke that everyone wanted Brian so we could have an assistant to overcome the handicap known as the head coach. (think about it, won't you)

Matt Painter went 5-13 at Purdue a few seasons ago. Now they are one of the best teams in the country.

At this point in the year, a 5-13 record in conference play would be a miracle. The problem is were not having a "bad year" the problem is were having a "terrible" year and aren't remotely competitive. Programs hit rough patches all the time and bounce back. This is far from a rough patch.

Matt put together much better seasons prior to that. He lost a very talented team to graduation. Even Fran's best years have ended with an *

Don't think Matt put anything remotely similar on the court to what we saw Saturday from Iowa.

However, I don't expect them to go winless or just 1 more win. The Big isn't very good.

Didn't read the reply. But honestly, his replacements for both Norm and KOK were a step down. His assistants don't get better when they are replaced. The proof is right there in his record since the glory run of 2002-2004. The gaps between special seasons keep widening. It is a sick joke that everyone wanted Brian so we could have an assistant to overcome the handicap known as the head coach. (think about it, won't you)

Norm would be hard for anyone to repeat immediately. I have no complaints about the D.

I know you don't like KF, but let's at least try to stay on the topic at hand....

Yeah, he went 8-5 this year, with a bowl championship, #18 in the final Sagarin ratings, and a victory over AP #2 rated Ohio State. 28-12 the past 3 years. Some problem.
It's all relative. Some see Northwestern and Purdue and getting trounced at Wisconsin, others see ISU, OSU, Nebraska, a near win vs. PSU and a bowl win. I like to think I see a little of both, it should/can be better, but I also realize that many other programs should have such a problem.

What has Fran ever done that makes you think we are going to have a shot at the sweet 16 in the next 5 years if he were to remain? The guy is just a bad coach who had some kids from Iowa with talent come put a band-aid on the program for a few years. Even those years we underachieved and were just mediocre. The program is headed the wrong way. If we stick with him, we will be right where we were before he started.

I know you don't like KF, but let's at least try to stay on the topic at hand....

I am. He's living proof that firing assistants to fix a head-coaching problem doesn't work. Apparently you can't see that, which is bizarre considering your other posts.

I don't think Barta has any plans to fire Fran after this year, unless something really blows up (Fran going Bobby Knight and throwing a chair or going on a public bender like Eustachy), but I think the actions of the players over the next couple of months will impact Fran's hotseat for next year.

If Iowa starts losing key players to transfer (Cook, Bohannon, Garza, etc.) that might be the sign that he's lost the team and immediate action needs to be taken before our roster and recruiting starts to look like the Lickliter years.

Latest posts