So if we go 0'fer the rest of the season....

Yeah, he went 8-5 this year, with a bowl championship, #18 in the final Sagarin ratings, and a victory over AP #2 rated Ohio State. 28-12 the past 3 years. Some problem.
Final Sagarin ratings? Ha
Bowl Championship? Haha
I didn't know you had a screen name here, Gary. P.S You left out "March situations". Hahaha.

Matt Painter went 5-13 at Purdue a few seasons ago. Now they are one of the best teams in the country.

I would like to keep Fran and fire most of the posters in this thread

As it relates to Iowa / Fran, the implied presumption in your statement might be one of the most fabulous combinations of ad hoc and non sequitur fallacies I've read. You've almost pulled off a trifecta, introducing the post hoc, before it even happens. Then, to top it off with the ad hominem against most of Hawkeye Nation ...

... not sure whether to applaud or rub my temples.:confused:o_O;)

At this point in the year, a 5-13 record in conference play would be a miracle. The problem is were not having a "bad year" the problem is were having a "terrible" year and aren't remotely competitive. Programs hit rough patches all the time and bounce back. This is far from a rough patch.

And to make matters worse, Francis is 1-7 in a year the league is down with only a couple great teams. (Conference in 5th place KenPom).

Even if we go 1-17 it would be too knee-jerkish and social media-driven-wanting-a-pound-of-flesh-like to fire Fran this year.

But I do think it's fair that, if there isn't dramatic improvement by next season, a long look at the future of his job would be appropriate.

We will know after the season if Fran wants to stay at Iowa. If he does he will terminate at least 2 assistant coaches. If not he might go down with the ship in the next 2 years?

O.M.G Another year? You want to watch this another year, or should I say not watch it? If KF didn't recruit a QB for 8 years and kept putting his best throwing TE in the QB spot would you want him to stay another year to turn it around? Are we aspiring the next TE may have a better arm then the last guy put there?

That's the basketball team. And still no PG coming. This is D1 basketball, not a pickup game at the Y.

O.M.G Another year? You want to watch this another year, or should I say not watch it? If KF didn't recruit a QB for 8 years and kept putting his best throwing TE in the QB spot would you want him to stay another year to turn it around? Are we aspiring the next TE may have a better arm then the last guy put there?

That's the basketball team. And still no PG coming. This is D1 basketball, not a pickup game at the Y.

The TE wouldnt throw interceptions or fumble.

Fran has not failed to get a pt guard. He has what he wants.

Does anyone think Barta could hire anyone better? I think this is the pinnacle for a Barta hire.

Fire Barta and Im onboard with replacing the entire staffs of both programs.

We know Fran isn't going to be fired this season, or are 99% sure of it. For him to avoid being in the crossfire next season and possibly lose his job, the results will have to improve dramatically and Fran will have to land one of those 2 or 3 PGs he's offered or may offer that everyone's talking about. He can sell hope at least then.

....does Fran survive?

I can't imagine another P5 school that would allow a coach that didn't absorb any substantial injuries to come back after a cratering like that.

If he does come back, be prepared for the morgue-like atmosphere that we had in Lick's final year.

But we should lock up the #1 pick in the upcoming draf...oh, wait...never mind.

We know Fran isn't going to be fired this season, or are 99% sure of it. For him to avoid being in the crossfire next season and possibly lose his job, the results will have to improve dramatically and Fran will have to land one of those 2 or 3 PGs he's offered or may offer that everyone's talking about. He can sell hope at least then.

My problem with this is what happens next. Say we improve to where we were last year (dramatic improvement) and he brings in one of the point guards he's targeted. But then how long do we give him? Can't judge the state of the program on a Freshman PG can we?

Just my opinion, but the state of the roster an lack of depth and a true PG are his problem now that should have been addressed. I simply don't think keeping him around to provide him with more time to address these holes is the answer.

Rebuilding year...

Going to start practicing defense...

In on some PGs...

Clean a few things up...

Good to go...

Losing out might be easier to swallow if the team showed any sort of improvement from week to week. Right now they look like the same exact team that got crushed by Louisiana in the Cayman Islands.

My problem with this is what happens next. Say we improve to where we were last year (dramatic improvement) and he brings in one of the point guards he's targeted. But then how long do we give him? Can't judge the state of the program on a Freshman PG can we?

Just my opinion, but the state of the roster an lack of depth and a true PG are his problem now that should have been addressed. I simply don't think keeping him around to provide him with more time to address these holes is the answer.

If Fran turns it around next year, say 12-6 in the Big Ten, and also somehow lands commitments from 2 of Carton, Suggs, and Foster...I think it would be worth a small extension. I think Fran has zero shot at Suggs once the big boys start calling, but Foster is at least a possibility for now.

I have very little confidence in any of the above happening, but in that hypothetical situation, sure.

I’m with the majority around here that say nothing will likely happen after this year.

With that being said with each embarrassing loss you have to wonder if the possibility increases. To get embarrassed like we did on Saturday is not a good look. I mean for instance if we lose this one tonight, where would our remaining wins come? I’m not sure, but I’m also not sure if 1-17 would get Fran the axe.

The other thing you worry about is if there is a deeper underlying issue with this team, could there be a mass exodus?

I personally think it’s a pipe dream if people think everyone on this team is going to say okay I’m going to continue to buy into this thing work my butt off, and we are somehow going to be a winning basketball team next year. Some posters seem to think that could happen, but I really have a tough time seeing it.

Latest posts