So if KF were to announce his retirement today...

Stoops as HC. Demote BF to O line coach. Bring in Stoops OC at Oklahoma. PP would love to work for Stoops. Move Poselk to Asst. HC and Asst. O line coach.

Groom BF under a different coach then Daddy.. And let BF take over in 7 years. We have 4 successful coaches from 1979 until 2059.

So you have Brian as HC until he's 76?

I’m on board with BF as head coach, Polacek as OC, Seth Wallace as DC, and Woods as STC. Bring in AJ Blazek as Oline coach, Bob Sanders as Dbacks coach, and David Raih as QB coach, with Bell, Copeland, and Foster in their current spots.

That’d be a pretty sweet staff.

Urban Meyer first on my list...keep Brian at OC and Phil at DC...Meyer is a winner, and would come to Iowa.

When Urban sniffs around...Brian will be ready for Kirk 2.0 for the next 20 years, with more creativity as needed.

I'm not worrying about it and since the question is hypothetical about right now I'm fifty this year so in another 20 yrs I have half a chance to be dead and not see KF retirement party and who replaces him.

If KF retired today and Iowa wanted to promote from within, the obvious choice has to be Phil Parker. Promote Seth Wallace to DC. Bring back Jim Ried as the LB coach.

BF just doesn't have a resume worthy of a Big Ten head coach. Once Parker gets promoted, BF can go to the NFL and be an OL coach. That seems like a better fit for him.

Let’s see Brian put together more than one good game every other year before we hand him over the program.

Maybe average more than 22ppg in conference play

let’s see a great game plan against Wisconsin. Weird the talk against USC was concern of them knowing their tendencies and so we broke them

but against a team who knows Iowa better than anyone, stretch zone to short side

If KF retired today and Iowa wanted to promote from within, the obvious choice has to be Phil Parker. Promote Seth Wallace to DC. Bring back Jim Ried as the LB coach.

BF just doesn't have a resume worthy of a Big Ten head coach. Once Parker gets promoted, BF can go to the NFL and be an OL coach. That seems like a better fit for him.

BFs resume is not much different than KFs when he was hired. KF had 9 years as a college position coach, 3 years as a DI-AA head coach, then 7 years as an NFL position coach.

BF had 3 years as an NFL position coach, 5 years as a college position coach, and 3 years, so far, as a college coordinator. I imagine KF will coach out his contract (2025) which would mean BF would have 3 years as NFL position coach, 5 years as a college position coach, and 9 years as a college coordinator.

Lute Olson, before he was hired, was a high school basketball coach with like 1 year at Long Beach. Bill Snyder had only ever been a coordinator (who didn’t call plays under Fry) before K State. Barry Alvarez was a high school coach at Mason City before Fry hired him as a position coach then he became d coordinator at ND before Wisky.

Why does BF have to become a world beating OC to become a head coach? All he has to do is show that as OC he can lead coaches and players. He can do that without having to score an average of 32 points.

That said if there was going to be an interim coach before BF gets it, it damn well better be Parker.

Stoops as HC. Demote BF to O line coach. Bring in Stoops OC at Oklahoma. PP would love to work for Stoops. Move Poselk to Asst. HC and Asst. O line coach.

Groom BF under a different coach then Daddy.. And let BF take over in 7 years. We have 4 successful coaches from 1979 until 2059.
Why in the he would you make Polecek to assistant Head coach if you are going to have BF take over after Stoops. That makes no freaking sense. None.

Why in the he would you make Polecek to assistant Head coach if you are going to have BF take over after Stoops. That makes no freaking sense. None.

I was thinking Iowa loyalty. We took him from an incredibly succesful FCS program for a reason. So I thought we better let him hang around and not be pissed for leaving a great program.

Just for arguments sake, Dabo Swinney had only ever been a GA and a position coach when he was promoted from within to HC in 2008. I'd say he's doing alright.

I'd like Brian to show a little more too, but proving himself somewhere else is not a hardline requirement.

The skills for head coach are not universal for sure. We have been spoiled by having only two coaches for so long. I would hate to see Iowa become like USC or Nebraska, getting a new coach every 3 to 5 years.
Not sure Iowa could afford that.....,some of these programs are still paying three coaches...,A&M and Neby are two examples

Not sure Iowa could afford that.....,some of these programs are still paying three coaches...,A&M and Neby are two examples

Financially its a down hill slide for these schools. Look at how much Nebraska paid Mike Riley. These schools need to run these decision through their business schools before they make them.

I would write a letter to KF and ask him to coach another 5 yrs. This would give BF more time to evolve into head coach material.

Kirk's not going anywhere soon, so it's a moot point. At the very least, he'll stick around long enough to groom Brian to slide right in. That said, I don't think that's his sole reason for staying. He genuinely seems to be enjoying coaching right now.

If we go outside the program, there's any number of possible options Iowa could look at. If the focus is simply coaching talent, I'd keep an eye on Louisiana-Lafayette coach Billy Napier.

Remember that name. He'll be successfully coaching at a major P6 school within the next 5 years.

The skills for head coach are not universal for sure. We have been spoiled by having only two coaches for so long. I would hate to see Iowa become like USC or Nebraska, getting a new coach every 3 to 5 years.
Iowa already tried that. It didn’t work for Iowa either.

Latest posts