So if KF were to announce his retirement today...

1hawkeye1

... would you be onboard if Brian Ferentz were announced as head coach?

I gotta admit, I've been wavering back and forth for the last two seasons on this topic. But after the Holiday Bowl, I think he gets it that our offense needs to grow out of the 19th century. I'm ready for more Ferentz. How about you?

If Phil Parker is around for ten years, yeah. Our offense isn’t going to get any worse, and I think his ceiling is higher than Kirk’s, with a similar floor.

That's going to be the concern is when Kirk leaves, how many of his staff do also? Phil Parker is going to be hard to replace. No matter who is the HMFIC.

We also need to realize as to who else would be finalists for the Iowa job as well. If Brian get's passed by, we don't want some coach who may turn out to be a horrible head coach and sink our program. I wonder if Bielema will apply for it when it comes open?

We also need to realize as to who else would be finalists for the Iowa job as well. If Brian get's passed by, we don't want some coach who may turn out to be a horrible head coach and sink our program. I wonder if Bielema will apply for it when it comes open?
I want Alabama to oust Saban. That grumpy old F can come to Iowa, win a natty in two or three years, and then go retire somewhere warm never to be heard from again. :D

I am not necessarily against Brian getting the job but it was be a total sham if he was just given the job without any interview process. While I think the Iowa culture would be fine under Brian I am a little concerned with his other skills that a head coach needs to have.

In my opinion if he wants to be a head coach that he goes to a smaller school to cut his teeth and prove that he can win being the main guy.

I think as we all know a huge part of being head coach is putting a staff together. That is one thing Brian could get some valuable experience in starting new.

I have not had the experience to be around Brian to know what kind of person he is but from what I have seen there is a contrast between him and his old man that would possibly rub some people the wrong way but I could be wrong

The skills for head coach are not universal for sure. We have been spoiled by having only two coaches for so long. I would hate to see Iowa become like USC or Nebraska, getting a new coach every 3 to 5 years.

Is this even a question? Who is going to apply knowing its going to BF?

This has been in the works since he was hired. Podalek will be the OC, which I think he is better suited for as an asst. coach.

The better question is who do we hire as O line coach? That is the most important question.

This has been in the works since he was hired. Podalek will be the OC, which I think he is better suited for as an asst. coach.

The better question is who do we hire as O line coach? That is the most important question.
I think plenty of guys will throw their hat in. Iowa is a good place for coaches.

The better question is who do we hire as O line coach?
Steve Ferentz.

But seriously, I don't know that Polacek would be the OC. Could certainly bring in someone else to fill that role.

If someone from outside the program was to get it, I would vote for Jim Leonhard, Wisky's DC.

If we don't hire BF, I could see him catching on somewhere else (ISU after Campbell?) and stick it up our asses every chance he got.

Marshall Yanda is one of the first guys I would call to see if he is interested. By all reports he still works out in Iowa City in the off season. He is a future 1st ballot hall of fame and he brings an attitude back that Iowa lineman need. I think right from the start he would garner all respect from everyone involved with the program and is familiar with the existing scheme.

I cant think right now of some 40 something year old who is the really hot product out there to go grab as the next head coach. I would really like to them to bring in a current head coach who has proven he can build or keep a program going. There are some really good younger head coaches out there I am sure but I would hope someone who has put together a good staff, who has done a good job recruiting, managing a program, and shows really good in game coaching skills is what you are looking for.

More decisions are made by a head coach on the offensive side of the ball so I assume they would more likely look for a offensive experienced Head Coach.

Anyone interested in Bob Stoops if he showed interest? I mean, he’s no Brian Ferentz, but I might give him a shot.

Stoops will be 60 next year. (only 5 years younger than KFz) I doubt he wants to sign up for a long term stint.

Last edited:
Stoops will be 60 next year. I doubt he wants to sign up for a long term stint.

Stoops as HC. Demote BF to O line coach. Bring in Stoops OC at Oklahoma. PP would love to work for Stoops. Move Poselk to Asst. HC and Asst. O line coach.

Groom BF under a different coach then Daddy.. And let BF take over in 7 years. We have 4 successful coaches from 1979 until 2059.

Latest posts