So how bad are the RB injuries?

Okay, let me help you understand. Running backs take hits. Some running backs are more suited to take a lot of hits than others. You take the most vicious and numerous hits between the tackles.

1) Bullock is not built to take that kind of repeated punishment. Hence, my suggesting that the coaches were tempting AIRBHG like 1 minute before Bullock went out. 2) Garmon is even less physically prepared to take such punishment. He is better suited now to be used on the edge and in space as a receiver or kick returner. Hence, when Bullock went out I predicted that Weisman was going to be the Hawk's ongoing back. It was just a matter of time.

Seriously, the data supports my position better than yours. The Hawk coaches run their backs into the ground and don't adjust the scheme to take best advantage of the types of guys they have at any particular time.

Garmon should be used sparingly in the same way USC used Reggie Bush and Florida used Percy Harvin. But really, he should have been red-shirted until he got stronger. They just didn't have that luxury the way they work their system. Iowa running backs take an insane pounding. You either need enough to limit the reps, or have an absolute beast who will dish out as much as he takes.

That isn't Bullock or Garmon.

The data supports your position? Laughable!

Okay, let me help you understand. Running backs take hits. Some running backs are more suited to take a lot of hits than others. You take the most vicious and numerous hits between the tackles.

1) Bullock is not built to take that kind of repeated punishment. Hence, my suggesting that the coaches were tempting AIRBHG like 1 minute before Bullock went out. 2) Garmon is even less physically prepared to take such punishment. He is better suited now to be used on the edge and in space as a receiver or kick returner. Hence, when Bullock went out I predicted that Weisman was going to be the Hawk's ongoing back. It was just a matter of time.

Seriously, the data supports my position better than yours. The Hawk coaches run their backs into the ground and don't adjust the scheme to take best advantage of the types of guys they have at any particular time.

Garmon should be used sparingly in the same way USC used Reggie Bush and Florida used Percy Harvin. But really, he should have been red-shirted until he got stronger. They just didn't have that luxury the way they work their system. Iowa running backs take an insane pounding. You either need enough to limit the reps, or have an absolute beast who will dish out as much as he takes.

That isn't Bullock or Garmon.

Ya! All freshman and undersized players should be wearing flags not pads! IT'S FOOTBALL!!

Weisman is another example of how KF has trouble finding the talent on his team. How did he not figure out in practice that he could run that hard. I was saying last week that if they give weisman the ball on 1st and goal we score for sure. KF's inability to use talent over experience probably cost us the game last week.

To be fair to Coach Ferentz,he has been tooting Weisman's horn, so to speak, for the past month or so.
Weisman is exactly the kind of player that Ferentz loves: tough, hard-nosed, no nonsense, not flashy, etc.

Weisman is another example of how KF has trouble finding the talent on his team. How did he not figure out in practice that he could run that hard. I was saying last week that if they give weisman the ball on 1st and goal we score for sure. KF's inability to use talent over experience probably cost us the game last week.
You remember Bullock had ten carries last year right? And looked great against NIu

You remember Bullock had ten carries last year right? And looked great against NIu

He did look great. But sometimes there are game situations where we would be better off with different players in the game. For instance 1st and goal from the 3 is a good time to use a power runner. I think KF has trouble recognizing those situations. Other then after a long run, I'm not sure I've ever seen us sub in a different running back during a drive.

Last year we had a slow power runner get every carry without ever bringing in a smaller quicker back. This year we give every carry to a small quick back without ever using a very capable power back until we are forced to because of injuries. Just doesn't make sense. I think weisman had 1 carry in the 1st two games. Bullock has been great this year but its not like he is so good that we are screwed if he comes out for a play here and there.

He did look great. But sometimes there are game situations where we would be better off with different players in the game. For instance 1st and goal from the 3 is a good time to use a power runner. I think KF has trouble recognizing those situations. Other then after a long run, I'm not sure I've ever seen us sub in a different running back during a drive.

Last year we had a slow power runner get every carry without ever bringing in a smaller quicker back. This year we give every carry to a small quick back without ever using a very capable power back until we are forced to because of injuries. Just doesn't make sense. I think weisman had 1 carry in the 1st two games. Bullock has been great this year but its not like he is so good that we are screwed if he comes out for a play here and there.

All good points. I thought you were going a different direction there. My bad.

I hate to seem like I'm splitting hairs here, but late in the game KF ran Rogers and Weisman down on the goalline (even going for it on 4th down) and we didn't punch it in. Don't get me wrong... I liked Weisman A LOT yesterday, but I don't think you could say we would've scored last week, just because Weisman was running hard yesterday.

Don't want to be stupid like they were with ARob.

People who make money to coach football shouldn't kill those that don't get paid money to play it.

On a side note, no way Bullock should have been carrying the rock that much and Garmon shouldn't be running between the tackles yet. Neither kid is built to stand that punishment at this point. Seriously, you don't need AIRBHG if you are ****bent on killing your backs yourself.

Dang son! Where on Krik's Shonn Greene Earth do I begin? Here, I'll settle this as I don't have the dang brain power...Five buckeye stickers will be removed from yer spam and eggs helmet.

Actually this does drive me nuts. When we sub runningbacks it is by drive not by situation. Doesn't make any sense when you have two very different backs.

Didn't we used to use arob for a lot of drives but then wegher for those close-to-the goal line situations? I could just be remembering it wrong too.

I'm majoring in Athletic Training (not at Iowa), and was told the NCAA has a policy where players have to pass a test on the computer of basic knowledge stuff. They take pretests before the season starts as a baseline test and they have to score inside a close range to that level in order to start physical workouts. There's seven days of testing that increase daily activity each day. A player starts by doing biking or light jogging, and progresses through the week to running then sprinting, practice without pads or contact, and finally practice with pads and contact. If at any point in the rehab an athlete shows any concussive symptoms, the rehab is restarted to day 1 biking and continuing until there are no symptoms of concussion throughout the whole week of progression. Every athlete heals at a different speed, so nobody can really put a date on Bullocks return date.

Didn't we used to use arob for a lot of drives but then wegher for those close-to-the goal line situations? I could just be remembering it wrong too.

Maybe, but I'm not sure I can remember a time where we actually subbed in wegher on one of arobs drives when we worked our way to the goal line.I do remember being annoyed once when they didn't put wegher in in that situation but it doeant mean it never happened. I also remember arob had a few long runs where he was down at the 1. Those might be what you're thinking of but in those situations he came out from being gassed from a long run, not due to a smart situational sub.

We taunted AIRBHG by running the ball on 1st and 25, and that was when Bullock got hurt. We didn't learn our lesson and ran Garmon on 1st and 20. He was then hurt as well. You shouldn't be running the ball on 1st and 20 or 1st and 25, and the AIRBHG confirmed this. Fortunately Weisman is a FB so he should be fine.

Latest posts