So are Spokane and Waco easier to recruit to than Iowa City???

You know, I think it all really goes back to having a lack of accountability as a society in general. The penalties are not stiff enough if you are going to make it against the rules to pay players, etc. Program can dabble in it and if they got caught....they know they can come back at some point relatively quickly.

I'm not sure ultimately what the answer is other than either pay them, or have a severe penality for the program...not a slap on the wrist.\

But, I do know this (and even more so after watching this tournament).....Iowa can't win titles with the roster it has now.

This notion of "cheating" is difficult. It's vaguely defined, the NCAA actually has some ridiculous rules, and it seems that forms of rule-breaking are so rampant that we have to ask, "is it cheating, after all?".

As college sports fans, I think that so much of the recruitment-cheating we hear about is very petty on the crime scale... it's easily forgiven by fans and culture. It's not like mafia crime, in which people are getting murdered. Rich people are giving away money, or assets, etc.. to people they want to influence. So for the programs who cheat, and win... the NCAA can ultimately penalize them and "take away" their trophies, but the memories and the legacy largely remains intact.

Curious to see if people agree with this or not. But as an example, I think USC football was aggressively sanctioned for much of Pete Carroll's era. But even as their trophies are taken away... opinion hasn't changed on USC from that era. Back in the 2000s, we knew they were cheating, and they were the best program. Today, the NCAA has confirmed that they were indeed cheating, and we still look back and think that they were the best.

Great point. The only way any punishment will ever have any effects is if it is a punishment that affects present day and the future. Stripping wins is tacked on for eye dressing, but the fact is once its happened and been acknowledged its never forgotten or changed. USC's the perfect example. Cheaters or not, they were absolutely that good. Vacated wins or not people remember how good they really were and whether wins are vacated or not the only real punishment is the loss of scholarships or post season bans implemented going forward that would impact a players desire to play there.

FWIW, I don't want a cheating coach, I want a coach that stretches and challenges every rule in the book, but a cheater? Nah, I'm good.

FWIW, I don't want a cheating coach, I want a coach that stretches and challenges every rule in the book, but a cheater? Nah, I'm good.
Keep in mind the "cheating" we are talking about is coaches looking the other way while other people give them money they should be allowed to give them anyway.

If you want to see what cheating is, just look at Kansas. Coaches don't have boosters with suitcases of cash anymore like The movie Blue Bloods. Its AAU "coaches" shoe companies, and runners. All of which the coaches orchestrate without orchestrating.

The NCAA claims Bill Self is a rampant cheater. He is. KU just gave him a lifetime contract.

Fran does not play in that pool.

Yeah, it is.

Because dirty coaches with dirty money bring in dirty recruits like Pierre Pierce. F that.
This, and the playing field is not level. The NCAA should work harder on enforcement to catch more cheaters and increase the penalties.

I want to see the Hawks win it all as bad as the next guy, but to have to wallow in the slime with the rest of em to do so? Thanks, but I think I will pass.

I am glad we have a coach with morals that he won't compromise for a few more Ws. They are getting fewer and farther between.

Anything short of the death-penalty is going to be laughed at. Problem is the NCAA doesn't really want effective punishment; certainly not when it involves a cash-cow glamour school in basketball or football. End their program, end their bagman network.

Reminded me of Denny Crum’s Louisville teams.
Denny learned his system from being a John Wooden assistant.

You didn't have the three point shot for a good part of Crum's Louisville career so they would do a lot of high post action, high low action, and like you said play plenty of athletes and leapers.

It stood out in the eighties because the classic center was starting to phase out but it didn't teams from playing stiffs and hoping they would develop into the next Kareem. Walton, Sampson, Olajuwon, or Ewing. Most didn't come close, and you would get guys like Granville Waiters, Chuck Nevitt, Greg Kite, Brad Sellers, Mark Pleis, and Jens Kujawa.

Crum despised the three point shot and was stubborn to put it in his offense or design a defense to guard it. He was burned in the 1987 PanAm games when USA went up against Brazil for the gold and Brazil was loaded with three point shooters.

I still have memories of Iowa going up against Villanova in the Maui Classic final one year. Six foot eight Ed Horton destroyed Villanova 7'3 Mark Plies.

Anything short of the death-penalty is going to be laughed at. Problem is the NCAA doesn't really want effective punishment; certainly not when it involves a cash-cow glamour school in basketball or football. End their program, end their bagman network.

The biggest problem is that for a conference like the B1G, programs like Iowa and Nebraska take out WAAAAAAY more than they kick in and if you destroy a program like PSU, OSU or Michigan football, you will hurt the other programs in the conference. Maybe the way to police it would be to siphon the financial penalty from the offending school to offset the pain to the other schools. If a program like PSU football got a 1 year death penalty and then had to kick in $39 million to juice up the other clubs in the conference to maintain revenues it would probably draw some attention from the higher ups in the school on recruiting sanctity. But the NCAA will never do that.

I want to see the Hawks win it all as bad as the next guy, but to have to wallow in the slime with the rest of em to do so? Thanks, but I think I will pass.

I am glad we have a coach with morals that he won't compromise for a few more Ws. They are getting fewer and farther between.

I'd rather everybody do it "the right way" but since that clearly is not a realistic wish, then all I can say is that as a fan, I wouldn't feel the least bit bad if we were doing it, too, along with so many others. For me, it's only basketball. No more, no less. We aren't talking about destroying the environment or kicking dogs.

I just want a level playing field, whatever that looks like. This is one of the things about college sports that I've gotten tired of. Maybe I'm more cut out for pro sports where everyone can just pay the players they want.

Last edited:
Denny learned his system from being a John Wooden assistant.

You didn't have the three point shot for a good part of Crum's Louisville career so they would do a lot of high post action, high low action, and like you said play plenty of athletes and leapers.

It stood out in the eighties because the classic center was starting to phase out but it didn't teams from playing stiffs and hoping they would develop into the next Kareem. Walton, Sampson, Olajuwon, or Ewing. Most didn't come close, and you would get guys like Granville Waiters, Chuck Nevitt, Greg Kite, Brad Sellers, Mark Pleis, and Jens Kujawa.

Crum despised the three point shot and was stubborn to put it in his offense or design a defense to guard it. He was burned in the 1987 PanAm games when USA went up against Brazil for the gold and Brazil was loaded with three point shooters.

I still have memories of Iowa going up against Villanova in the Maui Classic final one year. Six foot eight Ed Horton destroyed Villanova 7'3 Mark Plies.
Granville Waiters...He looked like he was 40. I was just looking for a photo of him in college and learned he passed away March 23 (2 weeks ago) at age 60.

The biggest problem is that for a conference like the B1G, programs like Iowa and Nebraska take out WAAAAAAY more than they kick in and if you destroy a program like PSU, OSU or Michigan football, you will hurt the other programs in the conference. Maybe the way to police it would be to siphon the financial penalty from the offending school to offset the pain to the other schools. If a program like PSU football got a 1 year death penalty and then had to kick in $39 million to juice up the other clubs in the conference to maintain revenues it would probably draw some attention from the higher ups in the school on recruiting sanctity. But the NCAA will never do that.
Good idea, but once again with the NCAA it's another example of the piano player guarding the whore house.

To answer the topic question of " Is Waco easier to recruit to than IC?". I would say YES. It sits near Dallas Forth Worth to the North, Houston to the East, and Austin to the South and the climate is much milder than IC. It's a private school in the Big XII and conference academic requirements might be more lenient than the B1G. Baylor has a lot of prominent alumni who carry a lot of power in Texas. Getting them to ante up does not seem to be a problem.

Yes they are. I think a lot of recruits think they have to wend their way through a maze of corn when in Iowa. Not to mention the less than progressive leadership in our state government. Plus, McCaffery insists on playing by the rules, whereas Baylor has a certain reputation, whether proved or not.