So...any reason.....

you expect intelligent responses

yet make difficult to swallow comparisons

ha,ha... so true... I was completely in agreement with the OP that Iowa can be like Indiana next year minus Zeller and Oladipo! Iowa doesn't have anyone on the current roster who has the athletic or basketball talent that Zeller and Oladipo posess at their respected positions.

you expect intelligent responses

yet make difficult to swallow comparisons

And you expect all threads to be spoon-fed to the masses? Most people posting on here would detest watching "The French Connection"

C'mon peeps....offer something....maybe different players on Indy's team. Maybe compare Iowa to another good team in the league.

It's easy to insult. People do it on here all day long....such as yourself.

No, that wasn't the question I was asked. Also, new recruits are unknowns until they get on the court and prove it. Freshmen rarely outplay quality veteran players with multiple years of experience and time in a coach's system. It's a guessing game at best. The players I listed are known commodities.

But have you checked the incoming recruits? Teams are just reloading at this point. The Big Ten is where it is at. #1 conference in the land!

Last edited:
And you expect all threads to be spoon-fed to the masses? Most people posting on here would detest watching "The French Connection"

C'mon peeps....offer something....maybe different players on Indy's team. Maybe compare Iowa to another good team in the league.

It's easy to insult. People do it on here all day long....such as yourself.

I would prefer Tarkovsky to Friedkin

It is not an insult to point out an inconsistency with the rhetoric

most can agree that the team should be improved next year

apart from that, it's empty speculation perhaps best saved for the postseason

Personally I think I'd take Woody to have a Meyers Leonard type jump in stats. Leonard below
SeasonGPMPGPPGFG%3FG%FT%APGRPGBPGSPG

2011-123231.813.658.49.173.21.38.21.90.5

2010-11338.22.148.30.070.60.21.20.40.2

Woodbury
2012-132616.15.048.70.052.60.55.20.70.4
If he can make any sorta jump like Leonard did, he has a chance at being a lottery pick. 7'1 guys with some sort of coordination don't just grow on trees.

Personally I think I'd take Woody to have a Meyers Leonard type jump in stats. Leonard below
SeasonGPMPGPPGFG%3FG%FT%APGRPGBPGSPG

2011-123231.813.658.49.173.21.38.21.90.5

2010-11338.22.148.30.070.60.21.20.40.2

Woodbury
2012-132616.15.048.70.052.60.55.20.70.4
If he can make any sorta jump like Leonard did, he has a chance at being a lottery pick. 7'1 guys with some sort of coordination don't just grow on trees.

Actually I think Woodbury reminds me of Roy Hibbert. They are a closer match athletically than Leonard.

If you look at Hibbert's career he improved slightly each year. If Woddy progresses slightly each year I don't doubt he could play in the NBA. I have no idea how high he would be drafted but I think he could eventually play in the NBA.

LOL Woody will never be a lottery pick. He lacks the athleticism needed to be an impact player in the NBA. His ceiling is journeyman at best, and GMs don't spend lottery picks on journeymen.

Also I doubt we see a huge jump in woodys stat line next year. Leonard jumped in part because his min skyrocketed. Woody is already getting 16 a game. 9 and 7 would be possible for woody next year.

LOL Woody will never be a lottery pick. He lacks the athleticism needed to be an impact player in the NBA. His ceiling is journeyman at best, and GMs don't spend lottery picks on journeymen.

Also I doubt we see a huge jump in woodys stat line next year. Leonard jumped in part because his min skyrocketed. Woody is already getting 16 a game. 9 and 7 would be possible for woody next year.

More hate on Woody coming from Duff, what a shock.

If Iowa takes another step defensively next year, they will be very difficult to beat. Also, they are getting to be pretty salty on the boards...put those two variables together and you are a long way toward being a top 20-25 team. I see more road wins next year with their experience. I noticed Tubby said after the beat down that Iowa was really "long" and "athletic" and that they presented many problems for MN with their defense. Also liked our press. I think Iowa takes the next step on offense as well. Woody will be a big part of that.

Okay. This is not really the question that was asked but might be interesting to some that have been around Iowa basketball for about 25 years. I will compare next year's roster to the 1986-87 team which started 18-0; was ranked number 1 in the country; beat UTEP by 2 points in the 2nd round of the NCAA; beat Oklahoma by 2 points in the Sweet 16; and lost by 3 in the Elite 8 just short of the Final Four...after leading by 16 in the 1st half.

I just find it more fun to compare to a former Iowa team which enjoyed some success. Side Note: For those that think a deep run in the NIT is more desirable than a 1 and done in the NCAA...Iowa lost a 2 point game in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament the previous year to NC State. Also, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue and Illinois were all ranked in the top 10 nationally so it was not a down year in the Big 10.

This is as much about remembering the last team to make a deep NCAA run as it is about making serious comparisons...though some of these personnel comparisons make quite a bit of sense. Please don't get too literal or be overly critical. Here goes.

B.J. Armstrong -> Mike Gesell...both are sophomores and Gesell is doing far more as a freshman
Kevin Gamble -> Peter Jok...Gamble did nothing the previous year and had a great season
Roy Marble -> (obviously) Devyn Marble...son as a senior as good as dad as a sophomore
Gerry Wright -> Melsahn Basabe...both are athletic, dunk, block shots and rebound
Brad Lohaus -> Aaron White...Lohaus was 7 foot and rebounded but preferred shooting the 3

Jeff Moe -> Josh Oglesby...Moe was a diver and fan favorite but both prefer the 3 to anything else
Ed Horton -> Zach McCabe...if it isn't physical it isn't fun
Bill Jones -> Anthony Clemmons...different games but both can defend and provide depth
Al Lorenzen -> Adam Woodbury...different games but both can rebound and provide depth

Wild Cards - Kyle Meyer & Jarrod Uthoff

If Iowa takes another step defensively next year, they will be very difficult to beat. Also, they are getting to be pretty salty on the boards...put those two variables together and you are a long way toward being a top 20-25 team. I see more road wins next year with their experience. I noticed Tubby said after the beat down that Iowa was really "long" and "athletic" and that they presented many problems for MN with their defense. Also liked our press. I think Iowa takes the next step on offense as well. Woody will be a big part of that.

I liked (alot) what I saw from the D on Sunday.

Actually, I think where Iowa really needs to improve the most is on the offensive end. 3 point shooting in particular. I haven't seen any stats recently, but I thought someone said not long ago that Iowa's defensive stats were something like 4th in the conference. That's pretty solid. But the 3 point shot is this team's achilles heel..

If it gets more potent offensively and can hit some 3's, with the defense as it is, this year's team is probably 21-5 or 22-4 right now instead of 17-9. No joke. Those close losses against Indiana, MSU, Purdue, Minny and Wisconsin easily could have gone the other way.

this

my favorite woody moment sunday was the pick and roll dunk

but

you could see the high skill level and the modest athleticism right there: journeyman

the 10 year nba journeyman was a stud in college

woody is going to be a very very good college center

not sure the raw material is there to be great

i'm a big fan of the big kid no mistake

I suspect we still would have won at least half of those games if Marble hadn't gotten hurt...but injuries are part of the game. It's a good thing we're deep or we probably have another loss or 2 while he was rounding back into form.

I liked (alot) what I saw from the D on Sunday.

Actually, I think where Iowa really needs to improve the most is on the offensive end. 3 point shooting in particular. I haven't seen any stats recently, but I thought someone said not long ago that Iowa's defensive stats were something like 4th in the conference. That's pretty solid. But the 3 point shot is this team's achilles heel..

If it gets more potent offensively and can hit some 3's, with the defense as it is, this year's team is probably 21-5 or 22-4 right now instead of 17-9. No joke. Those close losses against Indiana, MSU, Purdue, Minny and Wisconsin easily could have gone the other way.

I suspect we still would have won at least half of those games if Marble hadn't gotten hurt...but injuries are part of the game. It's a good thing we're deep or we probably have another loss or 2 while he was rounding back into form.

Yes - those couple games @Minny & Wisconsin where Marble really didn't even score.. 19-7 (8-5) right there if Marble is his usual self. And didn't have him against MSU at all.. So I'd say really more like 20-6.

Holy cow, this program is close to being really good - just need to get some guys to work on their outside shot this offseason. Adding Jok & Uthoff won't hurt, either!

Not sure where the stat currently sits, but I know Iowa was below 30% from behind the arc in conference games.

Latest posts