Smoke and I Believe Fire

If that were to happen, we'd even struggle more to get the *** MAC recruits we've been getting. Bowling Green would kick or azz. Just doesn't make any sense, recruiting-wise. Programs typically don't do that.

I don't see Kirk publically announcing he will retire in 2 seasons. Maybe that is his plan, but...as much as we might want to complain about his coaching...Kirk is not stupid and he knows what such an announcement would do to the program.

I also don't see him resigning today. I think he wants to give it another shot.

As for today's press conference? I really have no clue what will happen. Anything from "That's football" to "I quit"...and everything in between...is possible.

No crucifixion, I thinks something is up too. I think kf is gassed and I think he knows it. Amid I also have always believed his is a man of integrity and will do the right thing for the program and walk away when he believes he is no longer what is best for the program. I wouldn't be shocked if he announces retirement

If this happened, I'd fall over out of pure shock. But on some level, I wonder if this is really possible. He does look gassed and the level of scrutiny (well deserved!) that he has been under over the last month would make anyone question their future. If he knows he's not the best for this program, I don't think $13.1M is going to keep him here. I'm no Ferentz apologist but he doesn't strike me as a guy who is driven by money.

But to announce retirement before it happens would be stupid.

Let's say that Ferentz does announce he's retiring after next season or the season after so Brian can prepare to take over the role. Does Jon actually shut down HN before he has to ban 99% of the posters?

If that plays out, Jon would be in the 99%. Hawknick would be here having conversations with himself.

Publicly announcing an intention to retire in 2 seasons would be program suicide - not even Iowa is stupid enough to go down that road.

Orchestrating a 2-year transition plan behind the scenes OTOH seems very plausible and actually not the most awful idea I've ever heard. The hotheaded, emotional side of me wants Ferentz gone yesterday...the analytical, logical side of me can see some advantages to taking 2 years to get our ducks in a row & hopefully do the transition in such a way where Ferentz's buyout doesn't become a drain on the program's finances.

KF is going to be out after another medicore 6-6 year in 2015. Attendance and talent drain. He's tired and so is the football program.

If that plays out, Jon would be in the 99%. Hawknick would be here having conversations with himself.

I would still come here just to see Nick voting in his own poll questions, like:

Do you think this years volleyball team will be:

Great
Awesome
Incredible
Historic

Please choose all that apply.

Reporter- "nick you've just been given a life sentence with no chance of parole, how do you feel?"

Nick- " I hear the food at Anamosa is awesome!"

Publicly announcing an intention to retire in 2 seasons would be program suicide - not even Iowa is stupid enough to go down that road.

Orchestrating a 2-year transition plan behind the scenes OTOH seems very plausible and actually not the most awful idea I've ever heard. The hotheaded, emotional side of me wants Ferentz gone yesterday...the analytical, logical side of me can see some advantages to taking 2 years to get our ducks in a row & hopefully do the transition in such a way where Ferentz's buyout doesn't become a drain on the program's finances.

Being that Mason, Barta, & Ferentz in control of things the bolded statement above is a very large assumption.

I don't think so. I think this is just one massively positive hawkeye dude. I kinda like him, in that same strange way that I like tommy from Moines and ol heights and weights Herby.

I don't think so. I think this is just one massively positive hawkeye dude. I kinda like him, in that same strange way that I like tommy from Moines and ol heights and weights Herby.

I am with MHA - as hard as it is to get your brain around, I believe Nick to be legit. I think by the letter of the law, you could technically classify him as a troll, because I do think he does have the awareness that his relentless/blind positivity will elicit a reaction out of people, but I also don't believe it is pure schtick - i.e. his HN persona is likely not exaggerated much from his real life personality.

The reason I think he's a troll is because, when he first popped up, I was ****** because that was MY idea for a troll! Always over-the-top positive, KF and JR lover, etc.

Why do so many people keep including Sally Mason in their list of scapegoats for the state of Iowa football? What evidence is there that she's some kind of obstructionist hell bent on destroying the program? Is she above criticism as a leader? Certainly not. Like most university presidents, she's had her ups and downs. Who wouldn't in the face of difficult challenges like the 2008 floods and a hostile Board of Regents who are hell bent on taking the UI down a notch or two? BTW, if you think this politicking is good for the UI or the quality of higher education in this state, well, have at it. But Sally Mason is not the problem with football. Oversight of football operations are the ADs responsibility, plain and simple, unless there is evidence of wrongdoing or incompetence. In Barta's case, perhaps his interest in the WVU job is not so coincidental and worth paying attention to.

Latest posts